SMP Folding in VMware, Please Help Me Get Started

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Folding@Home
Alright guys, I want to try SMP Folding in VMware/Virtual Machines/Linux - within Windows. I have played around with Notfreds for a sum total of two hours. I got it Folding but it kept corrupting my USB key that I was using for the virtual drive. That is my sum total of Linux and VMware experience.

Currently I have downloaded both Ubuntu 8.10 and VMware Server 2.0. Ubunto will be burned as an ISO shortly.

Where do I go from here? Is there a comprehensive AND UNDERSTANDABLE guide for a noob that you recommend? I seem to be finding lots of guides...all 18 months to two years old. I know that Folding within virtual machines is popular, so there's got to be up-to-date guides. Here are a couple I found so far:

http://smp.aeternum.co.uk/guide/1
http://www.tomshardware.com/forum/235093-49-folding-home-client-vmware-ubuntu

Either of these any good? Please advise, direct me elsewhere...whatever I need to do. No, I am not dead set on Ubuntu. If there is something simpler, let me know. My intent here is not to learn a new OS. This is merely means to and end.

Thanks in advance.

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Couple of things. You might try out Virtualbox instead of VMWare Server. It is IMHO easier to set up and use. Secondly, you want to run Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS "Hardy Heron" as it provides better SMP performance. It's unclear to me why at this point, but SMP performance under Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" is literally 25%-30% less than under 8.04.1 as you'll see several people experiencing this over at foldingforum.org

Other than that, the actual installation of Ubuntu and the SMP client are easy as can be. The guide here should be sufficient for the SMP side of things. Basically just install Ubuntu (MUST BE 64-bit EDITION) and then follow the Stanford guide I linked. Do not forget to install ia32-libs:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Your performance will probably be better under native linux, but please let us know what you get. I've never actually run Ubuntu as a VM, I do it the other way around, running Windows via Virtualbox under Ubuntu. If you want GPU2 folding to work you will have to run native linux. I'd like to be more thorough, but I'm posting from my blackberry. I'll follow-up later on today.
    edited January 2009
    The guide I linked to covers installation instructions for a few different setups, so I'll try to pull from there to simplify, and instead of downloading/extracting the client via command line, I'll have you do so through the UI which should be much simpler.

As I said earlier the installation of Ubuntu via the virtual machine should be pretty straightforward (although let me know if you have any questions). Once you are booted into Ubuntu 8.04 64-bit just do as follows.

Install all available updates. The package manager should run an auto-update on first boot and pop-up a notification to install. If not, just run System > Administration > Update Manager from the menu. Click "Check" to check for updates, install all available. Reboot when prompted. Now that the OS is up to date, we can get started with SMP. Please note that all file and folder names in *nix are case sensitive.

First start up the terminal and install the 32-bit libraries:
    sudo apt-get install ia32-libs

Enter your password when prompted. Upon completion you can minimize the terminal and download the unified Linux client 6.02 from here. Extract the archive to "/home/Leonardo/SMP/" (this is assuming your user name is Leonardo, you dig)

Open the terminal back up and navigate to the directory you extracted to:
    cd /home/Leonardo/SMP/

Now we need to run the client with the -configonly flag, just like in Windows
    ./fah6 -configonly

You know the drill here, enter your info. When you're done we can start the client:
    ./fah6 -smp

FOLD AWAY.

If you run into any linux related problems we'll have to pull some IC linux gurus in here to straighten that out as my experience is extremely limited. Things should go pretty smoothly though as Ubuntu is as simple as it gets.

When you've got SMP running we can get into installing FahMon under Ubuntu, or sharing the SMP folder out to Windows with Samba to be monitored with the rest of your clients.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    performance under Ubuntu 8.10 "Intrepid Ibex" is literally 25%-30%
    In that case, there is no point at all to running SMP under a virtual machine, at least with that Ubuntu distro.

Don't assume that I understand much of anything your wrote concerning "code." So far, I managed to open a terminal and download and "apply" some changes. Oh yeah, I also managed to set a password (was forced to), but second time opening a terminal the password would not work.

Mason, thanks for you recommendations. I'll give it a shot and do the best I can. Even if I scrap this at the end, I will still have learned.
    edited January 2009
    Ubuntu 8.04.1 LTS "Hardy Heron" as it provides better SMP performance...
    Other than that, the actual installation of Ubuntu and the SMP client are easy as can be. The guide here should be sufficient for the SMP side of things. Basically just install Ubuntu (MUST BE 64-bit EDITION)
    So then, Ubuntu 8.04.1 Hardy Heron is 64 bit. (remember, I am completely new to anything Linux)
    edited January 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    In that case, there is no point at all to running SMP under a virtual machine, at least with that Ubuntu distro.

I cannot speak to performance under a VM, but with Ubuntu 8.04.1 running natively my SMP performance is double what I get under Windows.
    Leonardo wrote:
    Don't assume that I understand much of anything your wrote concerning "code."

Those are commands to be entered at the command line (Applications > Accessories > Terminal) I wrapped them in code tags so they would stand out and be easier to see. You can literaly copy/paste them into Terminal (use Ctrl-Shift-V to paste into Terminal)
    Leonardo wrote:
    So then, Ubuntu 8.04.1 Hardy Heron is 64 bit. (remember, I am completely new to anything Linux)

There are 64-bit version of all Ubuntu versions. When you download from http://www.ubuntu.com/getubuntu/download you will need to select version 8.04.1 LTS, choose a download location, and select 64-bit before clicking on "Begin Download"
    Leonardo wrote:
    Even if I scrap this at the end, I will still have learned.

Indeed, but I bet we can get you going.

:cheers:
    edited January 2009
    I think I'm already over my head. VirtualBox - OK, I understand what that is. 8.04.1 LTS, likewise. I'm already stuck. Once I've installed VirtualBox, I have no idea what to do with Ubuntu to get that to run within VirtualBox.

There's no rush on this, I realize you're at work.
    edited January 2009
    Actually after looking further into it, I think VMWare will be a better solution for what we're trying to do. I don't think that an OS installation under Virtualbox will give you access to all 4 cores of your Q6600 like VMWare will. Sorry to add to the confusion there, as I said earlier my VM use has mainly been to run Windows apps under Ubuntu that will not work with WINE. Perhaps someone has some information that can prove me wrong in this regard. I'll be on the lookout for a good VMWare guide. Once we get Ubuntu installed under VMWare my posts above for SMP setup will easily get you going.
    edited January 2009
    OK, I'm back to setting up using this guide. using VMware Player and a prepackaged Ubuntu 64 bit set. Please let me know what you think of this configuration.

Thanks for working with me.

BTW, just found and purchased another 9800GX2 on a trading forum. :D:mean::D
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    You're a fiend, Leo!
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Leo you need to share the wealth some times.
    edited January 2009
    We need a FA sub-forum. Hello, my name is Leo and I'm a foldaholic. I started 8 years ago. I have seven rigs. SEVEN. *sobs*

(way to go Leo)
    edited January 2009
    Leo you need to share the wealth some times.
    OH, I do, I do! Every time I upgrade, my well-cared-for and good components that are replaced I put up for very reasonable prices in the Deal Depot and Trading Post. Such as, within the next day or two, I'll be posting for sale two Corsair VX 550 PSUs, three Linksys wireless PCI G adapters, probably a 9800GT OC or 8800GT OC.

BTW, it's five rigs, not seven. The rest is true.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I meant some of those GX2s
    edited January 2009
    OK, back to Ubuntu-VMware-Windows circus. I've got Ubuntu 7.10 "AMD64" downloading updates now. Soon it will start installing them. We'll see where it goes. The guide I'm using shows how to use FAHMon with the virtual machine, so I think this is the appropriate noob distro for me.
    edited January 2009
    7.10?

You're silly. :p Use 8.04!
    edited January 2009
    I meant some of those GX2s
    You have to scour trading forums. Man, they are getting hard to find! Also, try Craigslist. I got one of my off of Craigslist Seattle. I used my ISP email, phone humber, and Heatware record for the seller to establish my bona fides. $200 the others I obtained for that or LESS. Used prices were falling fast on the GX2s about three and four months ago. Now prices are either stabilized or going back up. Must be be the Folding crowd pushing prices up. Imagine that!
    edited January 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    7.10?

He's using VMWare Player and a pre-configured machine. It should be fine for just SMP folding.

We'll have him converting dedicated rigs to native 8.04 within a few weeks. :D
    edited January 2009
    The reason I'm using 7.10 is because it's a package that I don't have to install. I merely click on the .vmx (after a couple text edits) and VMware installs it for me. Is that easy with 8.04? (or is it 8.10, or 8.04 LST Happy Hooker, or....HELP)

I am completely new to Linux and everything about it. The two or three word Linux lingo I know I have just learned in the last 12 hours.

Here's the guide I'm using now. It called for 7.10 so that's what I'm using. Let me get this first configuration actually running and Folding, then I'll gladly call on you whizzes to help me upgrade. (note: I did not call you whizzers)
    edited January 2009
    Ah, ok. :D

Some quick notes for you, then:

Ubuntu is on a twice-yearly release cycle - once in April, once in October. This corresponds nicely to the version numbering - 7.10 was the October release of the 7th release version, 8.04 was the April release of the 8th version, etc. Each release has an animal associated with it - 7.10 was Gutsy Gibbon, 8.04 was Hardy Heron, 8.10 is Intrepid Ibex - but people will use 8.04 or Hardy interchangeably.

LTS = Long Term Support. Canonical will support this release (the current is 8.04) for at least 3 years, I believe, at which point you're expected to upgrade to the next LTS release or not require assistance. This is, of course, only related to paid support. Community help is available for all releases almost all the time, though obviously the most recent versions will be more active.

Folding will almost certainly always be faster on *nix (that's Unix/Linux/etc) than in Windows, since the Win client is a port, at least for SMP. The GPU client production is likely as dependent on driver quality in *nix as it is in Windows, though I haven't tested this, and thus may be better on Windows at the moment, since drivers for nV and ATI are still lacking, though finally both are open-sourced.

Just the easy tidbits for you. Little steps, right? :D Welcome to OSS.
    edited January 2009
    Much of what I thought, but so glad to hear it in plain language. Thank you. (I haven't been to 'nix language school, much less the Linux dialect courses.)

Alright, progress report: all updates are installed now. I'm still working on this configuration. I'm just about to the stage where I can start a Folding SMP client. Right now the ugly (yeah, this gnome interface is butt ugly) window shows that a SSL certificate is being installed. Man, this is SLOW, but I think it's working?

Once Folding is running on this config, I'll try, yes, yet another one that looks much more up to date and easier to manipulate and install - HERE.
    edited January 2009
    Kernel Panic at the SSL, well, actually, when I closed and reopened before the SSL certificate was finished. I could not tell that Ubuntu was doing anything at all. Well anyway, when I restarted VMware and Ubuntu, I got a "Kernal Panic" and "compression" error. I'm just going to move on to that next configuration I posted above. Tired of fooling with this one.
  • edited January 2009
    if im not mistaken, VMWare only lets you access 2 cores out of four. so you have to run 2 smp clients to get all four cores used up. is that correct?
    edited January 2009
    Snarkasm, mas0n, I have a real problem. Good news and bad news. I got the config as shown http://www.overclock.net/overclock-net-folding-home-team/423871-linux-smp-vmware-finally-made-easy.html to work. Man it is so easy to set up. But now the bad news. I could not find anywhere how to change the default Folding client to Team 93. It is set for the other forum's team number. I inquired in a thread over there and the the guy who put the original config together, the author, basically told me to take a hike. Seems as though his ego is far bigger than his desire to further science. Well, b@stards like that appear in all walks of life, unfortunately.

Please take a look at the software and see where the edit location is for the Team number. I looked in the subfiles of "Folding@Home virtual appliance" but could not find any text pertaining to team numbers. Of course, I may have just missed it. Maybe you could download the file, unzip it, and examine the subfiles.

The installation routine only has prompts for password, time zone, and username.

Even though the writer/compiler appears to be an a$$, I must say that the setup is excellent and elegantly simple, in some ways easier than the Windows SMP setup.
    VMWare only lets you access 2 cores out of four. so you have to run 2 smp clients to get all four cores used up. is that correct?
    correct
    edited January 2009
    Looks like that guy built a simple UI that runs F@H on top of a stripped down kernel specifically for OCN folding. I am not really sure how to help you here. Can you press ctrl-alt-F1 to get into a console? I'm sure the client.cfg file is there somewhere, but have no way of knowing what utilities have been left intact for you to edit the file at a command line.
    edited January 2009
    I performed a Windows search for "client.cfg" that returned nothing except my Windows SMP folders. :)

I just tried teh ctrl-alt-F1 and nothing happened, not even a blip on the screen. Would the VMware log help?
    edited January 2009
    VMWare will not log events from the guest OS.
    edited January 2009
    Any other suggestions?
    edited January 2009
    While I've got your attention, how do I shift the highlight in the console box from one option to the next? In this specific case, I'd want to shift from "OK" to "Skip."

......never mind, I found it - "Tab"
  • edited January 2009
    howgozit, leo?
    edited January 2009
    He's having trouble getting VMWare to start, with a thread open over here. Once we get VMWare working, we'll be able to easily install Ubuntu 8.04 as a guest OS and install SMP.

Leo, I definitely understand why you want to start with a VM environment (and I'll certainly help you as best I can with that) but if you have a dedicated rig that you don't mind taking down for a while, a native installation of Ubuntu is actually a whole lot easier than all this mess. We could have SMP working within an hour and GPU2 working within two or three. The GPU2 client is more difficult to setup, but it's still as easy as copy/paste from a guide into the Terminal. The instructions I followed are here. The instructions are for a headless install (no monitor) so it's perfect for a dedicated rig.