Creative PSU mod.

SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Hardware
So I wanted to gut my HP Slimline S3123w and transplant in into a larger case. I had an spare Radeon HD2900xt laying around, and nothing to use it in. So I gutted both the Slimline and the server I have, and stated my build. I ran into a snag with the atx power connector on the Slimeline's motherboard. It's one of the mini atx connectors and my psu in the server would not work with it. So my friend Aionsilver and I decided to cut the connector off the psu in the Slimline and splice it to the full size atx psu. Pics as follows.

Comments

• SonorousSonorous F@H Fanatic US Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Here are the first steps, cutting stripping and crimping one end.
    edited December 2008
    Crimping the other smaller connector on to the normal PSU, testing and installing in the mid-tower.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    Man that is some good work there. I would have never thought of doing that. I see the wire colors are different. How did you match them up?
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited December 2008
    Oh, and were there any problems mounting it to the existing motherboard holes?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited December 2008
    Sage Sonorous spins a story of significant splicing. :respect: Serious server certainly salvaged. :thumbup
    edited January 2009
    Komete wrote:
    Man that is some good work there. I would have never thought of doing that. I see the wire colors are different. How did you match them up?

I was a little worried after I cut the connector off the servers existing PSU because I didn't make not of what cable went where. After Aionsilver did a little research we came to the conclusion that it did not matter what was hooked up where, as long as the colors matched. As far as the mounting went, everything was prefect. The only snag in the who biuld was the dumb small atx connector. :grr:
    edited January 2009
    Sonorous, I just took another look at your photos. At first, my impressions of the completed hybrid computer was, "what a goofy looking setup - tiny motherboard and wires going everywhere". Then it struck me: you've got the makings for a great project. You should put a window in the case side and get a couple lights. OK, that's nothing unusual so far. Now here's where it gets avant garde - use the cables and wires as the prominent design element. Usually we case modders do our best to minimize, reroute, tuck away, and hide the cables. You should do just the opposite. Arrange those 500 feet of cables/wiring in some type of pleasing pattern, consolidate them in colored cable sheathing, and show them off. (maybe braid them? :crazy:) Put aluminum tape on the exposed, inside back wall around the motherboard to reflect light.
    edited January 2009
    HMMMMMMM! I'll put my thinking cap on.
    edited January 2009
    The colored tubing, split loam, used for automotive cabling would work fairly well. It's moderately priced from auto parts stores. Lowes and Home Depot have it too, but they usually only have black and red. If you have one, an Antec Tricolor 120mm would look good in the case exhaust port. Have any 80mm LED fans for the CPU HS/F?
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited January 2009
    Omg this sounds epic! moar plox.