Does GPU2 lag your system?

GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Folding@Home
It started lagging my laptop really hard lately, just in the last few days. It takes a second or two for it to respond to mouse clicks, and dragging or scrolling windows is painful. As soon as I pause the client in the system tray, the system is back to its usual self.

Nothing reads high on the CPU usage in Task Manager, though. I've installed Process Lasso, and it hasn't helped this particular issue (although the added responsiveness during startup is welcome).

Comments

• Ultra-NexusUltra-Nexus Buenos Aires, ARG
    edited January 2009
    With nvidia it used to lag my desktop with drivers 178.xx but with the new set of betas 180.xx problem is preatty much gone.

Hope this helps. :)
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Yep, on XP it's pretty bad. The new drivers do help.
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    My 9800GX2 has no lag.

My GTX 260 lags like crazy, I cant even use the desktop with it running.

180.84 drivers and XP with both.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    With my systems, even with each machine running 2 X GPU2 client and an overclocked Q6600 with an SMP client, there is only limited lag, and that being in some video applications. I think the key stabilizing factors are quad core CPUs and 180.60 (Nvidia) or newer drivers. If anyone reading this thread doesn't know, the 180.60 drivers (and a couple others) put 99% of the GPU2 client processing on the GPU itself, not the CPU.

The Q6600 has become for me the best processor I've ever put in computers. You can throw anything at them and they just bulldoze their way through.

For you guys experiencing problems, are your CPU and GPU clients set to "idle" priority? If they're set to "high" or "normal," that could be cause of at least part of the lag.