Setting up raid without reinstalling OS and applications

edited January 2009 in Hardware
I have 3 Seagate 320GB Sata HDDs. I had motherboard issues previously and got rid of the raid-5 array I was using previously when it destabilized. I got my motherboard replaced and would like to go back to either a raid-5 array as I was using previously or at least a raid-1 array to increase performance. Is it possible to do this without reinstalling the OS and all the applications? I would rather avoid a reinstall if possible, considering the sheer number of applications I would have to de-authenticate and reinstall.

I have on onboard raid controler with the MB (EVGA 680 i) and I am running XP pro. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    If the RAID controller is at all different from your previous motherboard, you will have to start from scratch to create the array.

Welcome to Icrontic. :)
  • edited January 2009
    It is the exact same MB as previously, but as I could not be without my computer when it destabilized I reinstalled the OS on a single drive. So I have one drive that is in use and 2 that are unformatted and empty currently.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    If you hadn't broken down the array, it could have been rebuilt on the new motherboard, but you'll have to create it from scratch now. :(
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    If he creates the array on the other two drives, can he then use something like Acronis to copy the drive image over to the array, as that will be considered 1 disk by the system, and then boot from that with RAID 1?

Might need to install a driver ahead of time if it's needed, but I don't think it should be.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2009
    If it'll let you you should be able to take your one drive add a second drive and convert it to raid 1. You then may be able to convert your raid 1 set into a raid 5 set if your raid controller software will allow it some do some don't.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2009
    HuntingAce wrote:
    I have 3 Seagate 320GB Sata HDDs. I had motherboard issues previously and got rid of the raid-5 array I was using previously when it destabilized. I got my motherboard replaced and would like to go back to either a raid-5 array as I was using previously or at least a raid-1 array to increase performance. Is it possible to do this without reinstalling the OS and all the applications? I would rather avoid a reinstall if possible, considering the sheer number of applications I would have to de-authenticate and reinstall.

I have on onboard raid controler with the MB (EVGA 680 i) and I am running XP pro. Any help is greatly appreciated.

Quit playing with raid and backup your data. The performance of a raid-5 array even with modern high performance drives on most low end controllers is very similiar to using a PC from 15 years ago. Even with a controller with a lot of cache and a onboard CPU raid-5 is not fast at all. Raid-1 on a decent controller speeds reads as it can alternate reads from both drives and write are no better maybe worse. Depending on the controller.

Most would be far better not mucking with raid especially the built in raid on motherboards. Toys... nothing more.

Cowboy
    edited January 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    If it'll let you you should be able to take your one drive add a second drive and convert it to raid 1. You then may be able to convert your raid 1 set into a raid 5 set if your raid controller software will allow it some do some don't.

You know I have tuned disk subsystems for many years professionaly. Used more raid controllers then I can list here... Not these toy controllers in MB's but high end disk subsystems.

And never ever once saw one that can convert an existing 2 drive raid-1 array into a raid-5 array and keep the data intact. That 2 drive raid-1 array is killed when you create the new raid-5 array with more drives.

Even if he makes the raid-1 array he has to image it and restore it again to the new raid-5 array.

But he needs to forget about raid-5 period is the bottom line.

Best of luck

Cowboy
  • edited January 2009
    Thanks for all the replies. Ok, so raid 5 is out... fine by me, I had my fun playing with it already. :D I would appreciate the read speed gain of raid 1 though. This is strictly for fun not BU purposes. Could someone give me a bit of a walk through on transfering the current information to the created raid 1 array, and would it be better to do it on the hardware side from the MB or software side through windows XP pro? Thanks for all the help.
    edited January 2009
    You cant boot from a software raid array XP. Can you just image the data off using acronis or nortons etc... Then reapply it to your raid array?

I bet you see very little if any speed improvement on a raid-1 array using a onboard controller with sata or ide btw.... It has to be able to alternate reads between the drives to get any speed improvement. That usually takes a controller with a cpu and ram on board not a raid controller built into a MB. One thats built in is basicaly a software raid array. Its all in the drivers/software there is no hardware raid really.

Cowboy