Cannot reformat

edited January 2009 in Hardware
Ok my friend's computer has been started acting strange lately. Basically explorer.exe keeps closing itself and reopening itself in some sort of sadistic loop.

He ran AVG and got read errors on the boot sector.

Then I came over and ran chkdsk and it got a couple errors. I then set it to run the next time it restarts so the drive is not locked. It will never start no matter what.

So we put in his windows xp disc to get to the recovery console and after the cd boots, it wont let me hit R (or enter or F3). He has a USB keyboard and I can get in the BIOS and I can hit any key to boot from cd.

I also enabled legacy USB support in the bios to try to get it to work and no dice.

Any ideas?

Comments

• RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited January 2009
    use seatools. It boots of of CD
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited January 2009
    bschie wrote:
    Ok my friend's computer has been started acting strange lately. Basically explorer.exe keeps closing itself and reopening itself in some sort of sadistic loop.

He ran AVG and got read errors on the boot sector.

Then I came over and ran chkdsk and it got a couple errors. I then set it to run the next time it restarts so the drive is not locked. It will never start no matter what.

So we put in his windows xp disc to get to the recovery console and after the cd boots, it wont let me hit R (or enter or F3). He has a USB keyboard and I can get in the BIOS and I can hit any key to boot from cd.

I also enabled legacy USB support in the bios to try to get it to work and no dice.

Any ideas?

The post does not address the title as to why you cant reformat. You reformat off the XP cd. You do not need any extra tools etc..

The manufacturerer of that hard drive has tools to low level it and also mark the bad sectors etc...

But here is some solid advice..... when you get a IDE drive showing a growong number of bad sectors its a sign.... The sign reads BACK ME UP fast... I got problems

Cowboy