Bankrupt Circuit City - Bye-Bye?

2»

Comments

• KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    They called it cheese at my store. You get cheese on that? How sick is that? They wouldn't even pretend to have the customers best interest in mind. I worked and ran other retail stares before, but I just felt like a sleeze ball there.
    I know this, I worked at CC

Management blew, Unorganized and untrained, Sales people were generally a joke, Stock well maybe we could check it if our computer system wasn't from 1970, The only thing CC ever wanted us to do was sell them what they wanted to hear and then sell them a crappy CC plan to " back it up "

Here u go sir your 9 dollar flash drive by the way would u like to spend an extra 15 bucks for the 2 year warranty? THAT right there sent people out the door
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    well thankfully all i did was work for fire dog as a tech not sales, I always did extra things for free since i felt like they were getting ripped for a 180 dollar virus removal!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    There are only something like 30-40 actual CompUSA stores left, they're primarily down in Florida now.
    And so, you are right. I wish one would open (re-open) up here. Any well-managed tech store of that type, like Microcenter or Fry's, would be an overnight success up here. Their only competition would be the office stores and Worst Buy, the latter attracting the clueless but not the computer hardware enthusiasts.
    edited January 2009
    oh and yea it was called gravy down in Fl, It was really sad Best buy was no different when i was at Geek squad. I only worked there for discounts but honestly most discounts there i can buy for the same price on the Egg
    edited January 2009
    Systemax own Tiger Direct. In January 2008 Systemax bought the CompUSA name, CompUSA online business, and the few hard assets that weren't liquidated.
    edited January 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    And so, you are right. I wish one would open (re-open) up here. Any well-managed tech store of that type, like Microcenter or Fry's, would be an overnight success up here. Their only competition would be the office stores and Worst Buy, the latter attracting the clueless but not the computer hardware enthusiasts.

ur telling me now with cc gone there is only a walmart and staples unless i travel 40 min to BB I want a microcenter!
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    The EGG rules, long live the EGG.
    edited January 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Systemax own Tiger Direct. In January 2008 Systemax bought the CompUSA name, CompUSA online business, and the few hard assets that weren't liquidated.

this would be a prime time for Compusa to make a new and improved comeback since there would be plenty of open store fronts at cheap prices. Pick and choose which ones were profitable from CC
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    I guess you guys have sucky BB around you. They are actually really great where I live. THey don't bother me, and give me good advise on stuff if I ask. I actually had someone talk me out of buying a camera because they were about to go on sale if I waited for a week.
    edited January 2009
    Except for horrendous shipping charges if you live outside of the Lower 48. Their FEDEX express rates just went up almost 50% for me. When shipping is factored in, I can now find the same products at other vendors for much less. As for site navigation, service, and selection though, Newegg is tops.
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    F it, Icrontic should by a closed CC and reopen it. I know you guys are making crazy mad money in advertisements.
    edited January 2009
    I guess you guys have sucky BB around you. They are actually really great where I live. THey don't bother me, and give me good advise on stuff if I ask.
    My main complaint with BBs - all that I've been in - is very poor selection of computer components and terrible prices. I don't know about their other electronic items. I haven't shopped for tech other computer stuff for several years. One exception to my BB experience was the Rocketfish (Lian Li with a different badge) that I purchased a year ago. BB actually had a top of the line computer product, but because their customers only knew three brand names (two being Dell and HP), the Lian Li/Rocketfish cases just gathered dust. Then forums like ours found out about them. :D
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited January 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    My main complaint with BBs - all that I've been in - is very poor selection of computer components and terrible prices. :D

Yea, that is practically non existing. Don't get me started on them not having a SATA cable in the whole dang store. The prices on PC stuff is outrageous too. Video cards sell for 100 more than what you could get online. But for electronics, not sure on price, they do have a good selection. If you can catch an item on sale you can make out pretty good. I got my 24inch LCD from them for less than the egg was charging.
  • edited January 2009
    In Canada BB doesn't sell alot of computer components. If you want a nice Toshiba laptop or HP computer sure but nothing smaller unless its more than the parts store down the street. Don't get me wrong, I like BB, I got my camera there, but there are some things they shouldn't be selling. For you guys in the US you should look at ncixus.com for some competition to newegg. They might be cheaper being from Canada.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    went to circuit city today to check out if there are anything worth buying. Walked around for couple minutes, nothing worth buying at all.
  • MiltownstaydownMiltownstaydown Milton Florida
    edited January 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    I do wish the best for the workers, for workers of any concern that get laid off. As to Worst Buy picking up the slack.... I hate that place, even up here where they are the ONLY electronics store of size. They simply stink when it comes to computer parts prices and selection. I used to buy about a third of my computer-related tech at locally, CompUSA on sale, when they were in business. Our CompUSA, one of the handful of profitable locations, went down with the ship. I did NOT move my business over to Best Buy. For computer components, Best Buy caters to the clueless with fat wallets.

QFT. I've seen so many clueless people in "Worst Buy" spending money on parts that you could get for wayyyy cheaper..
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I worked at BB and can attest to the "up sell" and that is why my part-time employment was not worth selling my soul for ...
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I worked for BB (two different stores) and was explicitly advised to sell only what the customer needed.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    It seems that a good plan right now for the liquidation is to hold out for at least a week or so before attempting to pick anything up.

Seeing reports (I'll see if I can find the camera shot) where the liquidators marked out the normal 'sale' price (the regular price they sell it at), leaving the 'regular' price (the marked up price that makes it look like you're getting a deal) visible, and then marking down 10-15% off of that. In most cases, the 'sale' price is about 20-30% lower, so you can see where I'm going with this.

Edit: Found it
    http://www.structuredthought.org/images/fakemarkdown.jpg
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Yah, i went and didnt see anything very exciting.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I worked for BB (two different stores) and was explicitly advised to sell only what the customer needed.
    This was 6 years ago... and they required up selling on xyz% Our "numbers" depended on memory sales, PC setups, software installs... and they trained us on hitting up the lower end (low profit) PCs to upsell.