Can you mix GPU's in one system for folding?

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Folding@Home
I have an Asus P5Q Pro/ Q9300/ HD4830 system now and have a 9800GT that needs to get producing points. I know in the past mixing nVidia and ATI was a bad thing. But would like to know if it is possible and what is the worst to happen if they don't play nice together. I just want to make sure I don't make a big mistake in advance.

Also, is there anything I would need to know in advance before installing two cards of any kind on THIS BOARD?

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Some people haved mixed manufacturers and Folded successfully. It's a crapshoot. Install one card, shut down, add the second card, restart, and install drivers for it. The worst that can happen is that the computer crashes and you remove one of the cards and uninstall/reinstall drivers. In other words, the only risk is that you waste some time (but don't we all, with our mad hardware experiments).
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Thank you!
    I just wanted to make sure I didn't crap my system or loose production after my last fiasco that cost a lot of point production.
    edited January 2009
    Just monitor with FahMon. You'd know within five minutes if everything was working properly or not.
    edited January 2009
    just swapped cards. Setting up folding now.
    edited January 2009
    It must be me. I am getting the same error I got on the other machine when trying to run #2. Will get to it later as I need to run some errands.
    edited January 2009
    'There is no shame' in admitting....that your motherboard is destined to be a single video card ONLY platform.
    edited January 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    'There is no shame' in admitting....that your motherboard is destined to be a single video card ONLY platform.

I meant I am screwing up, not that my board isn't capable. This is the board I have. My other board is SLI and Scott got his to work. The Asus board is crossfire ready. I am certainly at the point of frustration.
    edited January 2009
    I think I can not mix the 2 different cards. First I noticed that nVidia control panel was not to be found. Then when I tried to extend the desktop to the 9800 I got a message that the current driver was invalid so I opened GPU-Z and found that there was no core clock for the card. The card runs fine without the ATI card installed. So I guess I will sell the 9800GT's.attachment.php?attachmentid=26658&stc=1&d=1232598085
    gpuz.JPG 302.8K