iFold

BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats !TX Icrontian
edited January 2009 in Folding@Home
I have started folding, surely enough right after my first core showed that I had actually done something, the official stats went down for updating.

I had to restart (reason unrelated) after installing all 4 folders per the guide and they did not start up after restart. Had to manually start them. I do plan to read as much as I can but can someone point me to troubleshooting the services not running on startup?

I checked msconfig -> services/startup and nothing referring to these files are present.

Also for reference, in the first 30 minutes running, 3 of my instances are at 40000/2000000 steps and the other is at 25000/2500000 steps. This average? Will this very? how do steps compare to points? What is a WU in reference to steps?

Thanks!

-Bobby:mouldy:

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    You should be running a SMP client instead of the 4 instances of the single core client. Generally speaking you don't have folding start as a service because of the load. Also, folding will not install as a service which is why you did not see it in the msconfig.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Bobby, K gave you good advice. Work with us and we'll have your machine cranking out good production.

You really should install GPU2 Folding for your 8800GTS. It will way outperform your CPU! Don't get me wrong, the Q6600 is a potent Folder, but the Nvidia G92 core video cards are even better. The Nvidia GPU client is easy to install and get running. If you use the "Systray" version, you will have a system tray icon that you can use to pause the work when you are gaming.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Well, 4 days in and:

I have a score over 1000
    I've broke into the Team93 Top 1000

This is pretty fun. Thanks K and Leo for the responses, I will definitely look into the SMP client and GPU2. I'm going to setup my laptop to fold also. Then I should really start crankin' away.

This time next month I should be in the top 500 for Team 93.

Happy to help.

-Bobby
    edited January 2009
    You should really look into the GPU2 client because if your GTS is a G92 core then it will do ~5500ppd. Check out the GPU2 article, its still in the top banner, gives you a little history and a quick walk through of what it will look like when you go to set it up.
    edited January 2009
    Ok, I installed the GPU2 Client and got that going flawless. I currently have set the GPU2 to Machine ID 5 and continue to run my other 4 single core instances.

I've read a bit about the SMP Client though I cant seem to find info on what the diference is between MPICH & DEINO to determine which to utilize.

-Bobby
    edited January 2009
    MPICH, this one works just add the -SMP to the shortcut. The DEINO requires extra software installed besides the SMP because it uses a secure data transmission thingy or something
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Bobby, make sure you've Microsoft .net 2.0 or higher installed. Windows SMP will not run without it.
    edited January 2009
    Thanks guys for all your help. I read about needing .net2.0, I've got Vista so from what I read I am covered there.

I have over 5000 points now. Workin' up the ranks of the team 93 ladder :bigggrin: Is there something else I need to do to be posted in the Achievements?

-Bobby :rockon:
    edited January 2009
    Patience.