Has anyone tried loading SMP on Windows 7 yet?

Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy KnobPflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
edited February 2009 in Folding@Home
I tried to load SMP on 2 machines that I installed Windows 7 on today. Both machines get a failed to open core error on start-up of SMP. I got everything else to go just fine and thought it would be fine but not.

Comments

• SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Did you A) install MPI from an admin account or using admin rights, and B) install folding to not-program-files? It has trouble (as in isn't allowed to) write to Program Files and various other protected folders.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Did you A) install MPI from an admin account or using admin rights, and B) install folding to not-program-files? It has trouble (as in isn't allowed to) write to Program Files and various other protected folders.

As a matter of fact it was your experience with Vista that made me install MPI from the admin acct right away. But I did let it install to the default program files folder. That is likely where it went wrong for me. Thanks!

My GPU folding is up just over 5% as an average compared to in XP. Not bad!!!
  • witenoizwitenoiz 19,356 miles East of Kansas City, MO Member
    edited February 2009
    It has been awhile since I have installed F@H on any box - but, earlier this evening I thought I would try to get it running on 7. Aside from spelling my name wrong -(trying to fix that - can't figure out where to edit yet) it looks like it is running ok. If some points are turned in with the name witenoizs - guess who? Jack
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    To fix your name, stop the folding program, and start it again with the -configonly flag on the command line. That will give you all the options again.
    edited February 2009
    Thx - I think I got it corrected now. I seem to have the graphics version installed - not too happy with that, but since it's the Beta 7, I'm running this on a bench blade socket 939 AMD CPU.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Hey witenoiz, haven't seen you in a while. How have you been?
    edited February 2009
    QCH2002 wrote:
    Hey witenoiz, haven't seen you in a while. How have you been?

My wife and I are both doing great in our advanced years. This economy is killing us, but it affects everybody. Well, maybe not King Leo - but the rest of us anyway. This thing is not working - it was on stage or step 9 when I went to bed early this morning - and 9 hours later is still in the same spot. Anyway it did install but I think I'm going to have to go back to beginners and learn how to do all of this again. I have never run it on Vista - but the down and dirty command line version for 2000/XP was great and seems to not be available anymore. Jack
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Witenoiz, sorry to hear about the economic woes. You are correct, in that the economic mess has not arrived yet in Alaska. Things are fairly normal up here (well, normal is always a relative term in Alaska).

Go here for the SMP client download

You would probably be best served with the "Windows XP/2003/Vista/2008 SMP client console version," (Italics mine). It's at the bottom of the page.
    edited February 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Witenoiz, sorry to hear about the economic woes.

Actually we are in better shape than most. Had nothing in Mutual Funds or stock - for awhile I thought I was too conservative and had almost everything in guaranteed bonds. Our friends were making 12 to 15% with there fund portfolios and we were doing about 6% - very happy about that now. I guess I was thinking of the good ol' days when I was running 26 blades in my office and basement with the $300.00 Electric bill each month. My log file says the current unit I'm on is at 55% - and I think I have the name correct. Anyway the team # is right. Jack