What zip program are you all using?

fmuellerfmueller Auckland, NZ Icrontian
edited March 2009 in Science & Tech
I have been using 7-zip for some time now, and was pretty happy with it, until the other day I came across an .fzip file that it could not open. It might be time to update my zip program, and I was wondering what you people are all using these days?

As an aside, the .fzip file in question is the Firefox plugin for the Foxit PDF reader. Foxit, BTW, is a freeware PDF reader that I can not recommend highly enough, since it makes opening PDF files sooo much faster than the resource hogging Adobe PDF reader!

Many thanks in advance!

Frank

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I use WinRAR.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    WinRAR.
  • ColgereColgere Cincinnati, OH Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    WinRaR
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    tar, winrar
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited January 2009
    windows built in for zips and winrar for most other things.

but the pluggin you should be installing directly through firefox or foxit and not as a stand alone application.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    7-zip for a few years
  • CycloniteCyclonite Tampa, Florida Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I use WinRAR.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    winRAR
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited January 2009
    WinRAR.

LIN
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    7-zip.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    WinACE
  • edited February 2009
    Winrar and Total Commander
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    windows built in for zips and winrar for most other things.
    ;)
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    7-Zip.

God I hate WinRAR.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Gargoyle wrote:
    God I hate WinRAR.
    Really? I like the fact that I can just say "unzip here" with a right click or choose the exact location to unpack it.

I use Winrar.
    edited February 2009
    I can't imagine ever not using WinRAR. It's exceptionally convenient.
  • KhaosKhaos New Hampshire
    edited February 2009
    PeaZip
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Other then "unzipping" I NEVER zip anything anymore.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2009
    I was using WinRAR but have tried running 7-Zip instead for a while, either one seems decent but neither get out of my way the way I'd like. What I really want is something like Unarchiver on Windows where you just click on any compressed file and it unzips everything right to the same place as the archive without ever showing me a GUI or giving me options beyond a progress bar.
    edited February 2009
    WinRAR:

Right click -> Extract Here.

Done.
    edited February 2009
    Yep, do that, good, but one step too many ;-)
    edited February 2009
    chrisWhite wrote:
    Yep, do that, good, but one step too many ;-)
    Might I suggest memorizing the keystrokes to execute the menu option if you do it often enough that the extra clicking annoys you? It's a lot faster than moving the mouse through the menu, even though it's probably 3+ keystrokes (Less if you don't put your unpack commands in a sub-menu).
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    7-Zip has context menu options that allow "extract here," too. Isn't WinRAR nagware?

What I really hate is when people host or send .rar files, as if it's some kind of standard. Thankfully 7-Zip opens those too.
    edited February 2009
    RAR is better compression than ZIP. It's probably just that they want it smaller.

It's nagware if you open and browse the archive. If you extract here, no muss, no fuss.
    edited February 2009
    RAR seems almost as standard as ZIP these days and they do some really cool things that ZIP doesn't do, I like to use the feature that lets you write out multiple files as pieces of the RAR at any size, so splitting up large 4+ GB files for a Fat-32 drive is doable (though insanely slow if you get into a bind.
    edited February 2009
    Here is another idea for people who want auto-unpacking:

Modify your file associations so that .zip, .rar, etc. are set to shell (Default execution) to a command script which uses the file name as the first parameter and then shells the unpack utility using the command line to extract the files to the current directory.

This should make it so that double-clicking on an archive causes it to automatically extract to the current directory (Or a sub-directory, depending on the settings).

You could take this one step further by shelling Windows Explorer to the unpack directory after running the unpack command.

Just a thought.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    It should be illegal to archive anything in a format other than ZIP.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I've always felt that ACE was better than RAR, and WinACE is the most convenient unarchiving program I've ever used, but alas... The pirates made RARRRRR the most popular format....
    edited February 2009
    ACE and RAR offer similar levels of compression. It comes down to client preference at that point. I got into RAR early on because WinACE had a horribly clunky UI, and I never returned to ACE.

There was a time when pirate would actually ACE and then RAR their files. Double compression for negligible gain was extremely common back in the August days of the BBS and the formative years of the internet.

As ACE and ARJ are both dead formats I use WinRAR because it handles ZIP, RAR, CAB, and TAR.GZ as the lone remaining formats.

Either way, the RAR installer gives you the option to right click and hit "Extract here..." or "Extract to folder..." Combine that with broad format support, a robust client, SFX packaging and a light footprint, I'm sold.
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2009
    Winrar and universal extractor (some self-extracting archives/installers winrar has trouble with)