REAL air cooling

Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
edited November 2003 in Hardware
I know I've mentioned this thing before, but I don't think I've ever posted anything detailed about it.

Somehow, I am going to get this fan on a computer case. How, I don't know. When, I have no idea. But one way or another, it's going on a damn computer case.

Comments

• Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    Oh, and I deliberately took those with no way of seeing the scale.
    The following pics should give you an idea of the size of the fan:
    edited November 2003
    My laptop is 13" wide by 11.4" deep, and that's a 12" ruler. That give you an idea of the size of the fan?

It's 16" in diameter.
    It flows somewhere around 2000cfm
    It sounds like a cessna
    And it draws more than 35a @ 12v, which is where the problem with attaching it to a computer case comes in... I need to power it. And I'm too cheap to buy a PS for it ATM.

But, at some point, one of my computers will have a radiator fan out of a 1987 Mercedes 560SEL. :D
  • mcwcmcwc Vancouver, BC Member
    edited November 2003
    Is that a radiator fan? What's the current draw on that sucker? It is probably is the amp range, not milliamp.

I think you can use a few zip ties to temporary strap it onto your case.

//Edit: you just answered my current draw question.
    edited November 2003
    Yes, it's a radiator (well, AC Condensor/aux., anyhow) fan.
    The current draw is anybody's guess. All I know is that when I hook it up to my 35a 50% duty cycle/25a constant @ 13.8vdc bench PS, if I have ANYTHING else hooked up to it at all, even a dinky sub-2w 80mm fan, neither fan will power up.

It draws enough current to make molex connectors melt. I left it on for 5 minutes, with it connected to a molex connector w/18ga wire and alligator clips. The wire got burning hot, and the molex connectors were hot enough @ the end of 5 minutes to be soft (I could mold them with my fingers). So it draws an @ssload of power.
  • a2jfreaka2jfreak Houston, TX Member
    edited November 2003
    Maybe you should build a yattamonster and use one as the intake fan and one as the exhaust fan.
    edited November 2003
    either that or pick up an aluminum case, build a skirt for it, and make a hovercraft...
  • edited November 2003
    May I suggest a racing case...
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Hovercraft case racing???
  • TheLostSwedeTheLostSwede Trondheim, Norway Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    The biggest problem is to FIND a ps that can power that thing.

Not even meanwell's otherwise awesome ps will be enough.

Close to 40 amps on 12V isn't any picnic. I think you need some sort of startup motor and a car battery to use that thing.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    What about an external 12V transformer from Radio Shaft (or any bulk electronics store)?

There are plenty of transformers that will change 120/240 into 12V, but it may be hard to find one that delivers 35A....
    edited November 2003
    I've got one that does 35a now. It's not big enough.

Maybe I can get my siblings to run in a giant hamster wheel hooked up to a generator... hmm... :D
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    Even 100,000V generator wouldn't be enough to power that fan if it didn't have 35A behind it :)
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Jameco carries linear (single voltage out) industrial PSUs. Not cheap, but will work for this. Esentially a stepdown transformer with a wave remnover\voltage level stabilizer circuit. They have, and I have seen, 40+ AMP 12 volters.

John.
  • NoFutureNoFuture In a 3D world...
    edited November 2003
    Maybe you can try building yourself a 12V power supply powerful enough for this big s*cker.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    You'll have to bolt your computer case down so it doesn't zoom forward and terrorize your family. I can see the headlines now - "Failed computer experiment injures for in a Bay area home". :eek2:
    edited November 2003
    I'm planning on using it when I go away to college and have to share a dorm. I was not kidding when I said it sounded like a cessna. It does. Both in the sound and the noise output. :D
  • Straight_ManStraight_Man Geeky, in my own way Naples, FL Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    BE cheaper to run it off a car battery and charging circuit, with a deep cycle cold weather battery and a car battery charger circuit on most of time in auto mode, or off a high-ampere car battery charger.

John.
  • edited November 2003
    I was just going to suggest a high current battery charger myself, Ageek. But even a battery charger that can supply that much power will not be cheap.

EDIT: Here's a power supply for your fan, Geeky! ;D
    edited November 2003
    Simguy, it's a 35a @ 13.8vdc PS...

mudd/ageek... I was thinking something more like this:
  • fuxorfuxor i live in a giant bucket
    edited November 2003
    maybe http://www.allelectronics.com/ would have something?