Full steam ahead for Windows 7 RC1

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Wow, this is pretty impressive. Even though they're exercising caution and trying not to let the buzz get too loud, creating unreasonable expectations, it shows that they're really working hard to make 7 something great.

The fact that I'm posting now from Beta 1, and haven't booted this laptop to anything else since I loaded it initially is a testament to the amount of work put forward into creating a solid, usable product.

I have even heard die-hard Linux people (Windoze is teh suX0r, newb!) say that they were impressed with Win7.

Can't wait to see the final product.
  • CallredCallred Maryville, tn
    edited January 2009
    I'm with you on that one.... I skipped Vista and have stayed on XP Pro but the beta I'm running has me going "OK, time to rethink things" Aside from a few glitches I've either learned to live with or found work arounds for, it's been a stable test platform.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    So far Vista drivers have worked quite well on 7 and the only one I have encountered are the ATI Catalyst drivers. So far AMD/ATI is way behind since my machine running an NVidia card works perfectly with the Vista driver. There are workarounds and success has been spotty at best with the ATI drivers 32 and 64 bit. Then no one has been able to get the CCC to work at all in Win 7. I have 32 bit 7 on an AMD/ NVidia desktop and 64 bit 7 on an Intel based Laptop since the release. Both are running very well and I have liked it enough to finally escape XP Pro. As a matter of fact I plan on buying 7 Ultimate 64 when it's released!

Oh yea, hurry up AMD!
  • botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited January 2009
    It'll have to cost around the same as a game for me to buy it, not much more at least. I have three PCs here all running very nicely with XP Pro. Will 7 have the activation hassle? Looks like a good opportunity for MS to give people a good affordable OS.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    So far Vista drivers have worked quite well on 7 and the only one I have encountered are the ATI Catalyst drivers. So far AMD/ATI is way behind since my machine running an NVidia card works perfectly with the Vista driver. There are workarounds and success has been spotty at best with the ATI drivers 32 and 64 bit. Then no one has been able to get the CCC to work at all in Win 7. I have 32 bit 7 on an AMD/ NVidia desktop and 64 bit 7 on an Intel based Laptop since the release. Both are running very well and I have liked it enough to finally escape XP Pro. As a matter of fact I plan on buying 7 Ultimate 64 when it's released!

Oh yea, hurry up AMD!

I've been using whatever driver Win7 loaded during OS install on my 4870 and have had no problems.
    edited January 2009
    mas0n wrote:
    I've been using whatever driver Win7 loaded during OS install on my 4870 and have had no problems.

Are you running 32 or 64? I was trying to install 64 w/ the ATI card. There a lot of reports of this problem on the Win 7 support site.
    edited January 2009
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    Are you running 32 or 64? I was trying to install 64 w/ the ATI card. There a lot of reports of this problem on the Win 7 support site.

64-bit. I haven't done extensive testing or anything but FarCry2, TF2, and GPU2 work perfectly. Guess I just got lucky.
  • edited January 2009
    I also have Win7 x64 loaded with a 4870, and I've also run it with a 4850. I don't game a lot, but I ran World in Conflict with success. Win7 works fine with CCC.
    edited February 2009
    Mason and Rick,
    Thank you for the info. I will try again after the weekend.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I hope they also sell a family pack when this hits retail release. I won't install pirated anything, but neither will I purchase several copies of any OS.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    No family pack is planned.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited February 2009
    I have even heard die-hard Linux people (Windoze is teh suX0r, newb!) say that they were impressed with Win7.

Can't wait to see the final product.

If this is O/S is good enough to redeem all that is wrong with Vista, then we are living in a great day and age. ;P
    edited February 2009
    I just tried again on my Asus P5Q Pro, Q9300, ATI 4830 and was successful. However I did have to force the driver install. During the driver install I had to run in compatibility mode (Vista) as administrator. After that it all went fine. Win 7 setup only installed a generic display driver and my resolution was stuck @ 640x480 8 bit until the new drivers were installed.
    edited February 2009
    No family pack is planned.
    In that case, XP will be on most of my machines for years to come.
    edited February 2009
    DrLiam wrote:
    If this is O/S is good enough to redeem all that is wrong with Vista, then we are living in a great day and age. ;P

Don't know that it will fix ALL the problems with Vista, but they've definitely addressed a lot of the concerns people have.
    Leonardo wrote:
    In that case, XP will be on most of my machines for years to come.

Have fun getting hacked when you can't get updates anymore.

Seriously, if you look, you can find really good deals on MS OS software. With just a little bit of work, I've gotten 4 licenses (2x 32-bit, 2x 64-bit) for Vista Ultimate retail for free.
    edited February 2009
    Have fun getting hacked when you can't get updates anymore.
    Some of those machines only go online for Folding@Home work units. But yes, I acknowledge the risk will increase if the machines are exposed to the Internet.
    With just a little bit of work, I've gotten 4 licenses (2x 32-bit, 2x 64-bit) for Vista Ultimate retail for free.
    A "little" luck? I'd say a lot. But then, I see a lot more people trying to get rid of Vista on Craigslist than XP!
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    just give me finished OEM now!
    edited February 2009
    XP will get security updates well into 2014, I think he'll be OK.
    edited February 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Some of those machines only go online for Folding@Home work units. But yes, I acknowledge the risk will increase if the machines are exposed to the Internet.A "little" luck? I'd say a lot. But then, I see a lot more people trying to get rid of Vista on Craigslist than XP!

Seriously. I signed up for one online survey thingy from MS, and went to a free conference and that was it.
    edited February 2009
    Alex, I believe you, but you must admit your case is quite unusual. Congratulations on your good fortune. No, I'm not complaining. Microsoft can charge whatever they can get for their products, as does any smart business. The market decides the value by voting with its money. My votes will probably be two full upgrades immediately, followed by a few more over a 12 to 18-month span, as I find the right deals. Hopefully Win7 can be installed in full mode via the "upgrade" trick that has worked for XP and Vista. If not, I'll probably end up purchasing formal Upgrade versions. Yes, full clean installs are the best, but money becomes an issue when there are several machines.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    :cough: Ubuntu, Leo :cough:

If all they're doing is Folding, why not pay nothing and go with the native clients? :p
    edited February 2009
    :cough: Ubuntu, Leo :cough:
    If I become desparate. I was more inclined to use Linux before I had some experience with it. (Yes, I realize I never put my foot in "pure" Linux.)
  • edited April 2009
    dont have to purchase upgrades, since OEM versions cost about the same price