What the Mac?!

DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
edited February 2009 in Folding@Home
Hey 93,

I recently got my Mac folding for me (about a week ago to be exact) and while I understand there's no way to track it (from my knowledge) it seems it hasn't finished a single WU yet!!! What is up?

How can I track it?

Are most new Macs even compatible?

:fold: <- Is this a Metal Gear?!

Comments

• jaredjared College Station, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Download FoldingMon for OSX, you should be able to see what's happening then.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited January 2009
    OK I found a program called InCrease. This is a great program and tells me all I need to know.

And I found my problem... it seems like all my Mac folding projects expire within a week and my computer is never able to finish a WU because it expires! It hits 35% max then resets.

Is there any way to correct this?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Get a faster computer. :p
  • pragtasticpragtastic Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    What Mac are you running? My 1.83ghz core duo Macbook churns out WU's just fine right now.
    edited January 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Get a faster computer. :p

I hope that isn't the solution. :[ My Mac (C2D) is faster than my desktop (Athlon 3000+) and the Athlon gets all my work done
    edited January 2009
    pragtastic wrote:
    What Mac are you running? My 1.83ghz core duo Macbook churns out WU's just fine right now.

Core 2 Duo 2GHz
    edited January 2009
    No, I'm just joking. Something there sounds wrong, but I'm not sure what. What client is it?
    edited January 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    No, I'm just joking. Something there sounds wrong, but I'm not sure what. What client is it?

Mac OS X 10.4+ Intel/PPC
    Universal Installer w/console
    (SMP on Intel only)

5168272f9e8ab6cf96162693f89cc782
    Released: 2008-07-31
    edited January 2009
    I think I figured out the problem, it was two conflicting instants of F@H running at one time. That and my family keeps on turning off my Mac!!
    edited January 2009
    Kill them.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    No sell them into slavery to buy more computers for folding.
    edited February 2009
    Hmm.. maybe it isn't solved. x_X

issue: Sun Feb 1 00:10:22 2009; begin: Sun Feb 1 00:10:44 2009
    expect: Wed Feb 11 18:16:29 2009; due: Wed Feb 4 00:10:44 2009 (3 days)
    preferred: Wed Feb 4 00:10:44 2009 (3 days)

God I hate Macs!!!!
    edited February 2009
    Seems like the program "Increase" is competing with the default F@H install for some reason... not sure how to end this fight b/c Increase can't seem to get units on it's own without F@H install client. As well, I can't give Increase rights to manipulate the current unit. (Does any of this even make sense???)

Anyways, back to the drawing board it seems.
    edited February 2009
    What the hell is Increase?
    edited February 2009
    Whoops, sorry. Here is a link and some info about the app.

http://www.teammacosx.com/software.html

<table align="center" width="450"><tbody><tr><td>[FONT=Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif][SIZE=-2][SIZE=-1]This is what you need for folding on the Mac, whether you're a new folder or experienced. Versatile and user-friendly, the InCrease program is a graphical user interface which assists the user in installing, setting up and viewing Stanford's CLI (Command Line Interface) folding client. It's easy to set up and use, like the Stanford GUI client, but keeps all the flexibility of the CLI client - plus InCrease makes it easy to see how your folding is going, both on your own computer and over a network.
    Upon starting up InCrease you'll be given an opportunity to add your own username and team number into the preferences window. Our recommendations for user names: Don't use an email address, do use the same username for folding and for registering on our team forum and do use the same username each time when installing Folding on multiple computers (e.g. home & work computers). Our recommendation for team number: the default already entered (1971) for Team MacOS X, of course!
    InCrease is the work of team member Kevin Bernhagen (calxalot) and uses programs such as mac_qd and his own foldingctl, plus fpd to display and manipulate an image of the protein on command (bundled with InCrease since version 2.0b1).
    InCrease is a work in progress and any input would be appreciated and gladly accepted. In addition to the online help page at Kevin's InCrease site, be sure to visit the Team Mac OS X forums to give your feedback, to get help with InCrease or folding in general, or to just to find out more about our team and its members.
    [/SIZE]
    [/SIZE][/FONT]
    </td> </tr> <tr> <td>
    </td></tr></tbody></table>
    edited February 2009
    and why are you bothering to use it?
    edited February 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    and why are you bothering to use it?

It seems to be one of the 'best' ways to track you folding progress on a Mac since there is no viewer/tracker with the F@H client. :(

Also, I was hoping to use Increase to get smaller units so I can actually finish a unit before the due date!

I'm probably going to look for another one to use though and if all goes well maybe I will write a quick "how to set up Mac F@H for dummies".
    edited February 2009
    Why don't you just not use a viewer? Pull up the F@H log and check for yourself. I have viewers installed on all my machines but I just use them to pull up logs to make sure they are still running and haven't thrown errors.

The only way you can get smaller WUs is if you delete large ones when you get them in.......which is annoying-but those WU project numbers are all known so you don't really need monitoring software to figure it all out.