Help!! Missing or Corrupt File

JCDudleyJCDudley The South
edited February 2009 in Hardware
Last night, I was using my laptop computer (HP DV series) and I improperly shut it down. The computer has had some really bad problems in the recent past but it was still functional. However, today, when I went to boot it up, an error comes up telling me that windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:

windows\system32\config\system

I have tried pressing F8 and booting in Safe Mode and have also tried running the last known good configuration. However, both refer me back to this screen shortly after. I do not have the CDs to restore Windows XP (home) either!! If anyone could please please let me know a way to restore my computer, I would much appreciate it. Also pressing F10 brings me into the system menu for the laptop, not recovery mode. Also, if I need the CDs...Is there a legal way to download them online? I could use this vista computer to download them and just plug it into the laptop for restore...Well, I hope that would work anyway lol.

Thank you for all your help.

Comments

• XyphusXyphus South Bend, Indiana
    edited February 2009
    My guess is that you may have some bad sectors on your hard drive. Try using a disk repair tool to check for bad sectors. We had one such problem with a PC here at work. One of the Windows system files happened to fall on the bad sector. Luckily, with the disk repair tool we were able to get it booting again. We promptly backed up all data and replaced the failing drive however. At least it was enough to get us back up and running enough that we could recover without too much downtime.
  • JCDudleyJCDudley The South
    edited February 2009
    How did you use the tool? Did you download it and install it to a CD or was it a previously owned product already on a CD?
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Your problem requires installation media to solve. I'm sorry to be the bearer of bad news.

Welcome to Icrontic.
    edited February 2009
    Okay, so my friend had an Emachines XP install disk. I used it to repair the computer and it works great. One problem though, I can no longer turn on my wireless antenna. I'm assuming this is because it is an HP machine...Is there a solution to this or maybe I could just download the software if I can connect the laptop to the internet. Thanks!
    edited February 2009
    The HP website should allow you to download the driver for your wireless device. :)
    edited February 2009
    Thank you. Hopefully, now I can figure a way to get connected to the internet. lol
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Continue sitting at computer in front of which you're currently seated.
    Go to www.hp.com.
    Click drivers section.
    Find device.
    Find driver.
    Download and copy driver to flash drive.
    Arise from current seat, bringing flash drive with you.
    Sit in front of broken machine.
    Boot broken machine.
    Insert flash drive containing driver.
    Install driver.
    (Hopefully) Success!
    edited February 2009
    Oh I got it! I just connected the laptop with an Ethernet. But thanks for the responses. I even got my speakers working on it again! My only concern now is about activating windows...Is there a certain Key I can use? Should I call the guy I got the disc from or what? I don't want all this effort to be in vain lol
    edited February 2009
    There should be a CD key stuck somewhere to your computer.
    edited February 2009
    Well thank you all. I have the computer running perfectly again. Sound and all. I just have to get rid of some adware (I've no idea how it got on there!) But I'll hope to get rid of it. Thanks again!
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    how it got on there!
    Would you like to prevent that from recurring? Go to our security forum and start a thread about the problem and we'll show you how to protect your computer....for free!