Agreed. Let's talk $150. How about $99?
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    ^^ Exactly what I was thinking ^^

No way would I pay that much.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    A few things would deter me.

If they only offer XP users a "fresh install" price option, instead of the ability to simply upgrade, that would be flat out stupid.

Also with you on the prices being too high. I'd like to see them start at $99 for 7 Starter and go up to $299 for 7 Ultimate.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Only $20 difference between Pro and Ultimate. Hmm.
  • AlexDeGruvenAlexDeGruven Wut? Meechigan Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    The lower-end (starter and home basic) seem really high, but Ultimate sounds pretty reasonable when compared with Vista.

If the upgrade price isn't significantly less than the full install, a lot of Vista Ultimate buyers are going to be pretty pissed.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited February 2009
    For the record you can buy an upgrade edition if you are on XP. However you can't do an upgrade install from XP, you have to do a clean install. But you can buy the upgrade version at the upgrade version pricing.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I look at Creative Suite 4 Design, and see the price sticker is $1800 (upgrade $600). I consider that steep but not unreasonable. So, it's hard for me to complain about the operating system being $300, though it certainly isn't going to help their anti-piracy efforts or stem the flow of people switching to Mac. Personally, I feel my Windows days may be numbered.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    You think $1800 isn't unreasonable? Wow.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    ^ this
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Windows 7 Standard = $50
    Add-on:
    Home = $50
    Pro = $100
    Ult = $150

That's my price plan....
  • Looks like arstechnica took down the article because it was annonymous and not one of their trusted sources. I would take these prices with a HUGE grain of salt. Like, a boulder of salt.
    edited February 2009
    Grab your saltshaker!
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Id pay 125 for home
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I wanna be a baller like Keebs.
  • edited February 2009
    I do not think I would pay for the license, It is too expensive. however, Bill not getting poor if I do not pay, but he not getting richer if I pay, so why bother! lol

in my experience, the new generation of Windows contains lots of BuGs like Win' Me, and another version is Vista, many end users complaint about it, event an IT support like me, I feel I am lost sometime, It take me time to find out what I need

lol
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2009
    I'd pay 200 for the one that gives me the best memory and disk performance.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Should be:

Starter: $99
    Home Premium: $149
    Professional: $199
    Ultimate: $249

That would be a bit more reasonable. I would have no problems dropping $200 for a full copy of 7 Pro. Also, most of us have no reason to buy a full copy, upgrades would be fine assuming you can upgrade from both XP and Vista and without them being installed (just providing the CD for proof of ownership, as you could do in the past).
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2009
    Here's what it should be IMHO:

Windows 7 $99 or, at most, $149

It's stupid the way it's setup with Vista, it should be a cheap upgrade that let's you launch off into other MS products and not be just about the OS.

This is coming from someone who bought full, legit versions of both Ultimate and Home Premium for my two machines, for what it's worth.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    It should all be free. I mean, if we're going to dream, we might as well dream, mirite?

Microsoft knows that almost every company will have to buy this product for almost every desk eventually, so we'll pay whatever they think they can get away with without another anti-trust lawsuit.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    honestly they it should be 100 bucks for the Home if you prove you have a valid vista key, since vista is crap
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Except for when it's not.
  • edited February 2009
    why don't you people try Linux

it is free
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited February 2009
    Linux is cool and I have tried it and I'll give it another go soon but it just can't take the place for my day to day OS. I need all my media production tools like Adobe CS3/4, Modo, Mudbox, Zbrush, etc. I also like my games and most of them don't run (or run well) on Linux.
  • edited February 2009
    I agree with you ChrisWhite,

there is limitation on Linux systems, there is not enough software application for us to do our jobs while Microsoft keep release new version of windows for every 2 or 3 years

you may awareness there is relationship between software and computer hardware, if we have old hardware such as P1 1.4GHz CPU, 1GB Ram would you reckon it is good for install windows XP and office XP?

I do not think it is good ideas because I found end users complaint about performance when they working office documents, the screen may freeze while they scroll up and down the page

so how often do you upgrade windows? do you buy new PC?

I, myself, I would not do that,

Cheers
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2009
    The copy of vista I'm running is an upgrade. I'm wondering if I can upgrade from an upgrade to win7?

Of course it'll be hearsay until it is released but I'm thinking I will.

They left that back door in vista where you could buy an upgrade dvd and install the whole thing. It would probably work with win7 too.
  • Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2009
    Pentium 1 1.4ghz? Wait wait wait....What? I never got a Pentium 1 over 150mhz.

Anyway, I hit the new OSes whenever I can snag a copy either cheap or cheap as free. I almost want to call Blue a troll, because obviously this discussion is about the rumored pricing on 7, not the validity of Linux as a user-friendly and compatible OS.
  • edited February 2009
    sorry Your Amish Daddy, I mean P4 1.4GHz
  • edited February 2009
    I am thinking, when a new generation of Windows come, the new PC will be needed or old computer will be out of date if they are not upgraded like over clocking, new RAM added, or replace new motherboard.

while small damn linux still capable to work with any kind of old PC, doesn't mean old is useless, right? hehe
    edited February 2009
    No.