Strange SDSL line issue!

osaddictosaddict London, UK
edited February 2009 in Science & Tech
We have an SDSL line which when plugged straight into one port on our switch and then attached to one PC performs fine - and stays up.

When we connect said line to our server and push it out across the whole network (50 PCs or so) it works fine for about half an hour then falls over.

We have an ADSL line from the same provider which does not exhibit this behaviour - works fine for ages on the whole network.

The provider has run tests on the line and says its fine - which makes sense as it's fine on the one PC. They won't test anything at our end as they only work with Cisco equipment - we have Netgear switches.

Has anyone come across a similar problem in the past? - If so, any hints?!

Comments

• Your-Amish-DaddyYour-Amish-Daddy The heart of Texas
    edited February 2009
    SDSL Crapping out? Might be traffic load, and your modem is crapping out under all the stress.
  • foolkillerfoolkiller Ontario
    edited February 2009
    Does this SDSL line have a built in router on it? I've run into some problems with the new D-links with traffic management on them. They can't handle Bittorrent traffic at all, and a network of ~20 computers will work fine on them for 15-30 minutes, and then everything craps out as the thing doesn't have enough capacity to handle that many HTTP connections. Might be something to look into.
    edited February 2009
    Bit torrent doesn't use HTTP, it uses UDP/TCP.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Irritating semantics aside, Foolkiller is correct that many router firmwares are not blessed with a processor and/or TCP/IP stack sufficient to negotiate a torrent swarm.
    edited February 2009
    If you read my statement again, you'll see that I said they can't handle torrent traffic at all, and that a network of 20 computers doing nothing but web access (HTTP) can bring those cheap things down.

Just wanted to clarify.
    Bit torrent doesn't use HTTP, it uses UDP/TCP.
    edited February 2009
    I know, I was just being a troll. But if it can't handle the load, Thrax is right. There isn't enough guts in the modem to handle the load. I mean look at what you're trying to do, get 20 clients on DSL. I mean if I were near you, you'd still be hearing me laugh at you. DSL isn't rex enough for more than I figure...8 clients. And since it's synchronous, you're probably showing the limits of the junky hardware.

Who's the provider? They might have a better modem for you to use if you ask.
    edited February 2009
    Since you are using a server to share the connection, do you have any logfiles you can show us? It will be much easier to troubleshoot the connection if we have an idea of what's going on.

The other option if you are interested, is to PM me, and I'll give you my contact information and you can call me during the week and I'll see what I can walk you through over the phone.
    osaddict wrote:
    We have an SDSL line which when plugged straight into one port on our switch and then attached to one PC performs fine - and stays up.

When we connect said line to our server and push it out across the whole network (50 PCs or so) it works fine for about half an hour then falls over.

We have an ADSL line from the same provider which does not exhibit this behaviour - works fine for ages on the whole network.

The provider has run tests on the line and says its fine - which makes sense as it's fine on the one PC. They won't test anything at our end as they only work with Cisco equipment - we have Netgear switches.

Has anyone come across a similar problem in the past? - If so, any hints?!
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited February 2009
    Could you post your line stats on the sdsl line. (attenuation/SNRM/errors/fastpath-interleave)