First Barebones PC Ever. Looking for a bit of advice.

DareDare SD
edited March 2009 in Hardware
A friend took pity on my sadsack life, and ordered me a barebones PC kit. I have exactly 200 bucks to spend on parts. I've bsed with Robert (Thrax) about most of this stuff, and he said it looks good, but I want to fine trim it down so I can order all the parts from ONE site.

Here is what I had plotted so far.

Computer:
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4337411&Sku=B450-2372%20C

Required Components - Spending limit 200

CPU Cooling fan
http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3302824&CatId=1588
$15
Graphics Card
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16814140103
$65
Hard drive
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=3255389&CatId=2458
$45
DVD DRive
http://www.compusa.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4291655&CatId=89
$30

Total = $155
S&H = ??
Leeway = $45 (Minus S&H costs)

I really dont know ANYTHING about hardware or software for that matter.
I'm considering trying to find the equivalent of all the parts off newegg, based on the fact that Robert (Thrax) is far smarter than myself, and the graphics card he recommended to me is from there, and will build around it.

My spending limit is cold hard locked. I cant scrounge even another dollar away from rent, my girls meds, and other life costs like car payments and insurance.

Ive found this CPU cooler thing:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835199011
for 13$
But I noticed in the reviews it said check the motherboard to be sure it'll work. I have no clue what I'm supposed to check the motherboard for, as I said, Im noobsauce, complete and total about this stuff.

This Hard drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16822136113
For 48$

This DVD Drive:
http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16827118022
for 20$

Which puts my total at:
146$ pre shipping and handling.

Again, I am COMPLETELY clueless at all this stuff.
Any possible tips or other suggestions, anything, I will gladly take, I know when I'm out of my depth.

I was also wondering, since the price is fairly lowish, if it would be possible to buy something along the lines of two 512 sticks of ram, to bring my ram total to 3g which is near the 32bit system cap anyways (from what I've read) and wether that would be a worthwhile change or not, and what it usually runs.

If anyone even has a better site to order stuff from recommendation, I'll gladly take it. Im open to any and all suggestions or criticisms, so long as I can learn something from them.

Thanks!

:vimp:

Comments

• Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    I would see if someone has a stock Intel CPU cooler you could just have from someone in your area or off this site. I have one laying around and I am sure others here do too. With this set-up I don't think you need anything fancy. Or just go for this CPU cooler with free shipping.

The choice in graphics card is spot on for your budget and being balaced with the rest of the system.

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB (same hard drive you listed from Comp USA) is one of the best you can buy without spending a lot more. I own several!!! If you order from Newegg it cost $10 more but there is free shipping worth about $7 to you, so it is only $3 more and you can order it all from the same place. Oh yea, Newegg is the bomb!

I like this Samsung DVD burner better.

I would stick with the RAM in the kit as I don't think you will see enough improvement by buying 2x 512mb sticks. As a matter of fact adding 2 other sticks would be more trouble than it would be worth. It may slow the system since you are better with 2 sticks instead of 4 and the extra 2 would have to be compatible with the 2 in the kit. If you want more I would go with a 2x 2GB kit to use instead of the ones in the kit. Something like this G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory with free shipping would work much better.

All together you would have spent $203.95 (including shipping based on somewhere in ND) for the CPU cooler, graphics card, hard drive, dvd burner and RAM all from Newegg.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    One other consideration is to keep the 2GB the system comes with but put in a different power supply. A quality power supply is key to having a stable system, and the ones that come in inexpensive cases are usually of dubious quality. Consider something like this in exchange for the RAM.
  • edited January 2009
    That Motherboard doesnt support DDR2 800 it only supports up to DDR2 667.
    If you can get a stock Intel fan for cheaper then that would be very good and work well for your system.
  • DareDare SD
    edited January 2009
    Thank you muchly for the tips guys. Made some changes and ordered my stuff. Have a buddy with a computer thats effed with an intel powersupply, thats already been fairly looted and he said have at.

I seriously appreciate all the tips. /nod

In a few days I'll have a new post thats "OMG I HAVE ALL THIS SHIT WHUT DO I DO!" I'm sure, when I sit there staring at all of it for a while, going "errrrrrr...." XD

Thanks again!
    edited January 2009
    That Motherboard doesnt support DDR2 800 it only supports up to DDR2 667.
    If you can get a stock Intel fan for cheaper then that would be very good and work well for your system.

It will still run it but just lower the SPD to 667. It was cheaper than any decent 667 I could find!
  • DareDare SD
    edited January 2009
    Er, intel power supply = Power supply he'd bought for himself in the past.
    He'd recently ordered a new PC of epic nice proportions for himself, so he no longer cares about what was left of the old machine. Heh ^_^

Anyways.
  • edited January 2009
    you shouldnt have to lower the SPD it will just automatically run at the slower speed.
    edited January 2009
    you shouldnt have to lower the SPD it will just automatically run at the slower speed.

That is what I meant. My wording wasn't the best @ 1:00AM! ;)
  • DareDare SD
    edited January 2009
    Mt_Goat wrote:
    I would see if someone has a stock Intel CPU cooler you could just have from someone in your area or off this site. I have one laying around and I am sure others here do too. With this set-up I don't think you need anything fancy. Or just go for this CPU cooler with free shipping.

The choice in graphics card is spot on for your budget and being balaced with the rest of the system.

The Seagate Barracuda 7200.10 ST3250410AS 250GB 7200 RPM 16MB (same hard drive you listed from Comp USA) is one of the best you can buy without spending a lot more. I own several!!! If you order from Newegg it cost $10 more but there is free shipping worth about $7 to you, so it is only $3 more and you can order it all from the same place. Oh yea, Newegg is the bomb!

I like this Samsung DVD burner better.

I would stick with the RAM in the kit as I don't think you will see enough improvement by buying 2x 512mb sticks. As a matter of fact adding 2 other sticks would be more trouble than it would be worth. It may slow the system since you are better with 2 sticks instead of 4 and the extra 2 would have to be compatible with the 2 in the kit. If you want more I would go with a 2x 2GB kit to use instead of the ones in the kit. Something like this G.SKILL 4GB (2 x 2GB) 240-Pin DDR2 SDRAM DDR2 800 (PC2 6400) Dual Channel Kit Desktop Memory with free shipping would work much better.

All together you would have spent $203.95 (including shipping based on somewhere in ND) for the CPU cooler, graphics card, hard drive, dvd burner and RAM all from Newegg.

Well, I ordered the stuff, but the buddy who's card I used failed.
    Which is actually alright, as I was thinking about changing out an item or two, in lieu of this:
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820148160

From what you guys said, it'll just slow the ram speed down to 667 speeds, but will still give me the max ram potential I can handle with a 32 bit system, correct or no?

And thank you all again for your help.
    edited January 2009
    Correct. If you stick 4GB or more in a 32 bit system, it'll show up as 3.(something). That's as good as it gets.
  • DareDare SD
    edited January 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    Correct. If you stick 4GB or more in a 32 bit system, it'll show up as 3.(something). That's as good as it gets.
    Kk.
    My Mobo only has two ram slots, and like a fool I hadn't listened to all the advice and had ordered 2x512 sticks of 667 ram as well... kinda glad the order failed to go through. I'da been sitting there with 2 worthless 512 sticks. :bigggrin:

My MoBo only supports 667 as the max speed ram, these will still work in it though, just decreased performance, correct?

And thanks for clearin' question one up for me mate.
    edited January 2009
    It should have no problem running those modules. You should be good to go.
  • DareDare SD
    edited January 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    It should have no problem running those modules. You should be good to go.
    Awesomesauce.
    Thank you yet again!
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    I am a bit late to chip in here but have you thought about looking at an HD DVD Drive? You have an HD GPU so you could possibly upgrade your DVD drive and then hook your barebones up to an HD TV. Not sure whether the rest of you rig will handle it but yust a thought.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Well, specifically an HD-DVD drive is a bad idea, since it's a dead format... that said, I'll assume you meant HD in general, as in a Blu-Ray drive, and to that I'll say I'm not sure an E2200 will run HD content as well as you'd like. I'm sure somebody else will step in to correct me if needed, though.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    His budget is locked at $200. There is no wiggle room.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Well, specifically an HD-DVD drive is a bad idea, since it's a dead format... that said, I'll assume you meant HD in general, as in a Blu-Ray drive, and to that I'll say I'm not sure an E2200 will run HD content as well as you'd like. I'm sure somebody else will step in to correct me if needed, though.

Yeha that was what I meant. Most of the players I have come across will play both formats. Presumably the mechanics of blue ray and HD are the same and its just software and encoding that varies between the two formats although that is for another discussion

If its out of the budget then its out of the budget and is irrelevant.
  • DareDare SD
    edited February 2009
    RichD wrote:
    Yeha that was what I meant. Most of the players I have come across will play both formats. Presumably the mechanics of blue ray and HD are the same and its just software and encoding that varies between the two formats although that is for another discussion

If its out of the budget then its out of the budget and is irrelevant.

For someday in the future.. or perhaps rig2, when money settles some day. XD
  • DareDare SD
    edited February 2009
    So, the Computer is built.
    Been workin on it all day (got the parts today)
    And I think its runnin' alright.

Couple questions.

Do I want to install XP, Service Pack 3 or no?

And why am I only reading 2.97-ish gigs of ram, thought the cap was 3.2g or summat like that. Im totally clueless and new at this stuff. XD I have 2 2gig sticks of OCZ ram I ended up ordering.

Anyways. Im happy so far! XD

Oh, also, in the CMOS setup it says its a 250g HDD, but in windows I only get 127gish, is there a cap on space, at which some level you have to partition or something, just like theres a cap on max ram or sommat?

Hope you whiz'z can help me out yet again. XD

-Me
    edited February 2009
    1) Yes SP3.
    2) 2.9 - 3.2. Depends on the mobo.
    3) Anything prior to SP2 can only detect 127GB of a hard drive.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    Congratulations, Dare!
  • DareDare SD
    edited February 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Congratulations, Dare!

Thanks a bunch. XD

Rob: Thank you, as always.
    Another question.
    Im now into SP3, how do I make it recognize the full size on the HDD? I dont have to do something terrible like reformat it again do I? Because I forsee a paradox of reformat to get the space, but lose the windows XP install.. install XP.. only read 127.. endless continuum thing. >.>
    edited February 2009
    You have to create a partition with the remaining space, or slipstream SP3 into your CD and reinstall.
  • DareDare SD
    edited February 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    You have to create a partition with the remaining space, or slipstream SP3 into your CD and reinstall.

Okay, about to google partitioning. Never done it, clueless.
    Any quick tips you've got that I wont find easily through general instructions?
    edited February 2009
    Start -> Run -> Type: diskmgmt.msc -> press [enter] -> select the free space -> hit "Create partition"

Do NTFS quick format.
  • DareDare SD
    edited February 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Start -> Run -> Type: diskmgmt.msc -> press [enter] -> select the free space -> hit "Create partition"

Do NTFS quick format.

That.... made things alot simpler.

Thanks. XD
  • DareDare SD
    edited March 2009
    And another problem.
    Installed Audio Drivers from disk. Im assuming they were the right ones. -_-

But my audio BLOWSGOATS. >.>

The MB: http://www.tigerdirect.com/applications/SearchTools/item-details.asp?EdpNo=4209930&csid=ITD&body=MAIN#detailspecs

Im using onboard audio, as I really dont have the cash for even a 20 buck sound card.

The problem: Scratchy static-y sound, whenever I do multiple things.

EvE + Movie, or 2 tabs of firefox open, with audio or video on both. (They dont even have to be running and I start getting the static)

The front "Headphone" port on the PC is so painful and static-y in general that I cant stand using it, period, with only 1 thing open. I use the back port, which gives me fairly steady sound, with just occasional noise and grit, so long as I run. One. Thing.

Anyone have any tips or ideas? I wish I knew how to describe the problem better, or how to even look for what part of my hardware runs my sound... but I don't. Heh.

So. Mebbe one of you wizards can help me out, yet, again.
  • edited March 2009
    Try the Motherboard manufacturers website and see if you can get an updated driver if it isn't the newest.
    If the onboard chip is manufactured by a specific company you can go and get a driver from their site.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Drivers could be a problem.

Also, next time you have the audio on, observe to see if there's any effect of cables moving (mouse, keyboard, other cables behind the computer from your legs touching them). With cheap quality cables, there can sometimes be electrostatic/wave activity between cables that can create noise (but that's usually video "noise," at least with oder monitors). Try and isolate your speaker wires from other cables and see if that makes a difference.
    edited March 2009
    It's probably the drivers. I bet they're old as hell on that CD.

Dare, can you go to the device manager and open the Sound, Video and Game Controllers section? List all the items contained in that list.

Go to start -> run -> type: devmgmt.msc -> press ENTER if you dunno how to get there.