Download OS CD Image

DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
edited March 2009 in Science & Tech
Hello everyone. I need to reinstall an hp computer loaded with Vista OEM. Problem is they don't have the media, and it costs money to get it. Does someone know where I could get a copy online? The machines have the original COA and are genuine. Any help is appreciated. Thx.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Acquiring this media on the internet is not legal. The replacement media must be purchased directly from HP over the phone.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    The subject HP computer: did the owners not have an OEM restore partition on the hard drive? Did the hard drive fail? The had original media but lost it? Just scratching for a possible solution here.
  • DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited March 2009
    The computer did not come with the O/S CD or any restore function on HD or CD. It still has the original HD that came with it. It needs to be reloaded because of program issues (updates will no longer work, programs crash, and more).
    edited March 2009
    When that computer was purchased new, by whomever, it had either a restore partition on the hard drive, a factory restore CD, or (very unlikely) genuine Microsoft Windows installation CD. Have you guys looked in the owner's manual for restoration instructions? What does it say?

If there are retail, branded computers that have no restore options whatsoever, it's new to me.
    edited March 2009
    These computers do not come with any restore CD. They do come with backup software to backup to CD or DVD, however, it was never done.
    edited March 2009
    I just looked up how much it costs for HP to send me a disc... almost $50! Forget that.
    edited March 2009
    They do come with backup software to backup to CD or DVD, however, it was never done.
    Thanks for educating me. Man, that's beyond cheap, that's bottom of the barrel. These branded beige box makers will do anything to save a buck over their competition.

I feel your frustration now, DJ!
    edited March 2009
    DJ, YHPM.
    edited March 2009
    All manufacturers, except for Toshiba, now do this.
    edited March 2009
    That's really rat's ass cheap. Another reason to hold one's nose when when walking down the computer aisle at your (un)favorite electronics store. Interesting that you mentioned Toshiba. I recently purchased a "broken" two-month old Toshiba 17" laptop. I swapped out the hard drive for a new one, opened the still-sealed restore media, and was on my way. Pure blind luck that I purchased the only almost-new laptop with a restore set.

Seriously, I have almost no contact with OEM computers except my work machines, which are all managed (whether I like it or not) by company IT people.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    IBM/Lenovo and HP still do the full restore partition trick. It's not separate media, but it's the next-best thing.
    edited March 2009
    IBM/Lenovo and HP still do the full restore partition trick.
    DJ_Evergreen's computer is an HP.
    edited March 2009
    Even HP now has you burn media, and it's amongst the slowest of the OEMs.
    edited March 2009
    The mass produced PCs really have become just another commodity. But then, that's what the majority of consumers wanted. I'm so glad the DIY option is still viable.
  • edited March 2009
    which model is ur laptop??
    edited March 2009
    It's not a laptop, it's a desktop. I'm not at it right now and I don't remember what model it is.
  • CallredCallred Maryville, tn
    edited March 2009
    There are times when, during boot, you can choose a keyboard command such as CTRL-F11 or something similar, and it will drop you into a reinstall routine. Check on HP's site for the model you have and see if it's there. If not, and the media has not been burned before, you should be able to create a restore cd from within the OS.

otherwise, if neither are available, you'll have to buy the cd or borrow one created for that model from someone.
    edited March 2009
    Hello everyone. Just want to let you know that I have found a source with the correct restore for free! Thanks to all who responded.
    edited March 2009
    DJ, glad you got things sorted.

Now that his problem appears to be solved and since this thread is already a two-topic area, back to the other theme:
    Even HP now has you burn media, and it's amongst the slowest of the OEMs.
    I just bought another laptop today (another Craigslist steal). It's an 18-month old Gateway, pre-loaded with Vista Home Premium. I just formatted the hard drive and am reinstalling Widows Vista, with the included OEM Gateway "Operating System Restore" media.
  • edited March 2009
    that is a good news m8