I had to decrease the farm acreage

LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciersEagle River, Alaska Icrontian
edited March 2009 in Folding@Home
Last month's power bill was enormous. My Folding farm improvements and expansions finally caught up with me. I don't know if you saw it, but I had a fair bit of trading in the Deal Depot & Trading Post last weekend. One of my Folding boxes is now parted out and in USPS Priority shipping boxes on the way to making private traders happy with their new acquisitions.

Where I'm at now is consolidating power in fewer platforms. Two of my farm machines now have dual 9800GX2s. If trends continue, I would imagine in the future I'll consider motherboards with three and four PCI-E slots. Sure, the multi-GPU machines do consume a lot of power, but quite a bit less than if the same number of GPUs were distributed out to more platforms. I just chopped about 20% of computer power consumption, but cut Folding production by less than 10%.

One less machine, but I intend to keep the "Reign of Terror" going! :D

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I think we can all relate. I've cut production significantly the last few weeks as we try to keep as much money in the bank as possible.

:fold::cheers::fold:
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    whimps................:rarr::smokin:
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    whimps................:rarr::smokin:

Says the man who does not pay for his electricity. ;)
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Says the man who does not pay for his electricity.
    Oh, just too good! ;D
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I would think that would make me awesome I jack up the electric bill and they haven't said anything.
  • ZuntarZuntar North Carolina Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    You actually notice a difference in your electric bill? How much?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Zuntar wrote:
    You actually notice a difference in your electric bill? How much?
    Zuntar, I have not received my next power bill since removing the computer. It's not difficult to figure out the power usage: 1) calculate the power usage of the computer -- estimate usage of the combined components based on known data (Internet search), or use a meter plugged into the wall socket, or software such as APC UPS monitoring/control software, 2) know your utility's power rates - $/KwH, 3) do the math.

Considering that an overclocked quad core computer with multiple GPUs all Folding operates at a power draw of several hundred Watts, it DOES add to the monthly power bill.
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I've had my desktop off lately since our total utility cost (mostly gas for heating) has been insane. My laptop hasn't been able to run the GPU client reliably for awhile, so no output for me right now :(