Choose my CEO's new monitor, make me a hero

CallredCallred Maryville, tn
edited March 2009 in Hardware
The issue. He only uses a laptop so the video card will be weak at best. His eyesite is going so he needs a larger screen. He loves the iMac 24" that his wife has but then again, it's the video card pumping it out.

What's the best overall 24" on the market?

and

How do you think it would look if I set the res down so that he can see well?

Thanks for the thoughts guys.

Cec

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    What is the budget?
  • CallredCallred Maryville, tn
    edited February 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    What is the budget?
    I need to keep it a grand or under. I'm looking at the Samsung SyncMaster 245T as one of the choices.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    All of these suggestions (in order of preference) are after calibration with a Pantone or LaCie colorimeter:

LaCie 324
    Iiyama ProLite B2403WS
    Viewsonic VX2435wm
    Dell 2407WFP-HC
    edited February 2009
    Thanks, I'll do some research..
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2009
    I had a horrible experience getting viewsonic to live up to their warranty. I'd avoid them. Maybe they would have been more accommodating if I was business. That aside, you may want to check if the mac LCD has mat screen or a glossy. I'm thinking it has a glossy screen finish delivering deeper blacks. I prefer a glossy finish myself, just haven't been able to afford one :(
    edited February 2009
    All the iMacs I've seen have a glossy finish. I have nothing against Macs myself even though I don't use one. But I have to admit that the screens I've seen have been just beautiful.

It's down to the Syncmaster and the Dell at this point. Dell came out with a 2408 model but I think I can find a 2407 HC (the HC is important from what I've read).
  • KometeKomete Member
    edited February 2009
    It may be that glossy finish he loves so much. I'm not sure if the dell or the samsung has one. oi, late for work. Have a good day.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited February 2009
    If he wants to run at low res have a look at this power toy. It is MS Clear Type and helps to remove pixelation on fonts. Might get some extra brownie points!
    edited March 2009
    LoL .... Clear Type actually works, I use it on my monitors... his eyes are really bad and it's hard on him. He also has a laptop that just isn't cutting it for him. So I have two objectives.... find a laptop that VERY light weight and fast as all get out, and a monitor to hook it to that he can actually read... That's what they pay me for though.
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited March 2009
    EDIT: Read over the thread again and noticed it's only actually the monitor you're after.. DOH!!!!!

I've recently bought a Samsung R610 which has a 512 dedicated Nvidia gfx card which I must say runs smoothly, a 16" screen (much larger than most) and the keyboard might as well be a PC keyboard (number pad included).

I get a 1900 x 1080 res on it (but my eyes are good) however, with the size of the screen, this will give him a better view of everything with a much lower res.

I am very pleased with the performance of the laptop and must recommend it. It cost me £600 and for the price, it's astounding.

I got it from http://www.ebuyer.com/product/150331 so you can see the spec.. If he is not bothered about portability (which for the size of it, it is VERY portable.. Well a hell of a lot more than a tower anyway).

Hope this helps
    edited March 2009
    Thanks Felix, I'll add that to the long list of items I came up with for him to pour through. It's not as easy as you might think it should be. He wants a powerful but VERY light weight laptop that can go where he wants but then come home to be cradled into a docking station that will let him use a monitor good enough for him to see what's on it. All for less money than having Starbucks coffee... (ok kidding about the Strbucks, no one will pay that much for a laptop ;) )
  • FelixDeSouzeFelixDeSouze UK New
    edited March 2009
    haha yeah, well I can say now, I've had the laptop just over a week and I can't fault it for it's perfromance and HD screen.. It even has a number pad just like having a realy keyboard (unless i've already said that above... I haven't re-read it) lol.

Also, I've played FEAR 2 on the laptop with other applications running in the background and it runs extremely smooth for a laptop!!

Good luck with the decision making mate :)
  • DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited March 2009
    I love my Dell 24" monitor! Can't go wrong with it. My next choice would be a samsung.