The GeForce GTX 295 is a lie

ThraxThrax 🐌Austin, TX Icrontian
edited March 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    It's fun to piss and moan about, but I don't think there's anyone around who'd actually consider buying one at today's market price. PR stunt, or an attempt to lure in deep-pocketed customers to slightly offset (unsuccessfully) selling thousands of cards at a loss? It doesn't matter in the end if they sell out. I can't afford one regardless.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I think that hit the nail on the head. I'll never own a 4870x2 or GTX 280/295/9000, but I will own the midrange card that dropped in price because they are having a pissing contest.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I know for a fact the 295 is a live and in the market :) I have one myself. Replaced my new 9800GTX+ cards with it and well couldn't be happier.

Will the GTX 295 continue on after that first wave who knows? This could be Nvidia reacting to a small demand in the High Price range market. I know if I was making a product with small demand I would focus my efforts on my selling products that are making me money. If I need to jump back and make more of these high priced items I will do so when the demand is there.

The awesome part is Valves PC tracking system reports only 1.7% of peeps are running dual cards in their systems. I am willing to be t that number will get smaller unless the economy turns around.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Sledge, the point was not to whether the 295 is actually being sold or not, but as to whether it's a short term offering put into the market as a "halo" product, for psychological effect. But yeah, I know it's out there and that people are buying it. There's already a small following (small because of power requirements, cooling difficulties, and price) in the Folding@Home community.
    Is the GeForce GTX 295 a PR gag expressly designed to capture the single card speed crown?
    There is press speculation the 295 will be very short-lived.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    The dispute isn't whether or not it's in the market. The debate is over its existence merely as a ploy to regain the speed crown, rather than by doing it "legitimately" with a new generation of hardware.
    edited March 2009
    So aside from Sledge, anyone else content with the wool pulled over their eyes? ;)
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited March 2009
    Interesting. If so, poor show by Nvidia, although it's out of my price range.

I have two main systems, one Intel, one AMD, with a 9800GTX 512Mb and a 8800GTS 640Mb in them respectively.

As long as they can handle all the games I throw at them - and they have so far - I see no reason to upgrade.

I have very nearly always had a video card that's been on the market a year or so cos it's usually at least a third of the price it was when first released.With the exception of the 8800GTS, I bought that Nov 2006, when it was brand spanking new on the market.

A fool's folly, really, within 9 months it had dropped from 240 to half that price.

It will be interesting to see the future of the 295 and what effect, if any, it has on people's trust with Nvidia if the 295 is going to be merely a showpiece to keep a lead in the numbers game.
    edited March 2009
    My guess is it'll be a flash-in-the-pan showpiece quickly forgotten by the time the new ATI cards hit the market.
  • Sledgehammer70Sledgehammer70 California Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I didn;t mean to come off as saying they are their... I just have a feeling the high end market is drying up for both Nvidia and ATI in regards to sales.

My point being that I am guessing they are side shifting their orders of product to items that are selling is mass quanties rather than in the 100's or possibly 1000's.
  • edited March 2009
    As long as the GTX 295 drives prices down on the other products, it doesn't matter to me whether it's a small-scale release or not. The top-end of the graphics card market is out of my reach. I just picked up a GTX 260 this weekend for the same price I paid for my girlfriend's HD 4850 - it's a very nice upgrade over the HD 4830 I had previously.

I admit I feel similarly with regards to the whole rebranding 'debacle' as well - if nVidia wants to rebrand the 9800 GTX+ as a GTS 250 and sell it cheaper, is that a bad thing? I'm all for it.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I agree with your sentiment that a product that makes other good products affordable is a good thing. Believe me, Nvidia did not release the 295 to moderate prices of their lesser series. Nvidia prices have fallen due to two factors: price pressure from excellent 48XX series ATI cards and the near complete inability of Nvidia to make much progress in the last year, except for slight speed bumps on renamed 88XX series cards.