excited for new apartment in shanghai

leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI
edited March 2009 in The Pub
some of you might remember i posted about going to work in shanghai starting in may. I have started looking for apartments, and have been unsuccessful until now. I have been looking for apartments in downtown shanghai, but have found apartments that i like to be too expensive, or the ones i can afford too crappy. The logical thing to do is to look for one somewhere near my work, which is sort of outside the city.

I'm glad i decided to look in the area of my work, i have found plenty decent apartments for affordable prices. I think i finally found the perfect one for myself for the next year or so.

here are some pictures for you guys to get an idea of what it's like

attachment.php?attachmentid=26823&stc=1&d=1237245434

here is the 3d rendering of the room, you can see the layout (i love the fact that i can see my living room from the bedroom)

attachment.php?attachmentid=26824&stc=1&d=1237245434

here is from the entrance looking into the living room

attachment.php?attachmentid=26825&stc=1&d=1237245434

here is the stair up to where the bedroom is

Comments

• leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI
    edited March 2009
    attachment.php?attachmentid=26826&stc=1&d=1237245571

here is the bedroom area. the yellow part is where the bed and resting area is, and there is room for table, and the closet is in the wall, there is room for a TV there also.

attachment.php?attachmentid=26827&stc=1&d=1237245571

and finally the bathroom
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff
    edited March 2009
    So did you get a chance to talk to my friend?
    edited March 2009
    Kwitko wrote:
    So did you get a chance to talk to my friend?

i haven't got a chance to talk to your friend yet, but i did decide to go with it, what the heck, i need a change of scenery anyways.

now comes the trouble of applying for the work visa.
  • CrazyJoeCrazyJoe Winter Springs, FL
    edited March 2009
    Just out of curiousity what do apartments run in Shanghai? Looks like a pretty sweet layout, but definitely small for American standards. Sizewize, how does this apartment compare to others in the area?
  • ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited March 2009
    It looks smallish, but I <b>really</b> love the layout.
    edited March 2009
    From the online listing, it says the area for the apartment is 41 square meters, which is about 440 square feet. It is small for american standards, but i think it will suffice. Apartment prices vary greatly in shanghai just like any other major city. It depends a lot on the area. This apartment is outside the city, and for this size, it runs about 2500 rmb(about 370 usd) a month, but if u were to get the same size and same quality apartment in the city, it would be 5000 rmb a month, and if u were to get it on the Bund, it would be like 7000 probably. Just to give u an idea of how high they can really get, i saw an apartment that i really liked in the city, it was 2 bedroom apartment, which floor to ceiling windows, and sweet wood floor balcony, and it cost 5850 USD a month in a nice district.
    edited March 2009
    That seems to compare pretty much to the range that one can find in any of the major US cities as well. Over all looks like a pretty sweet pad there leishi!! I really do like the layout. They definitely know how to do alot with a little space. But I guess being the world's most populous country you'd have to get pretty good at that.
    edited March 2009
    leishi85 wrote:
    now comes the trouble of applying for the work visa.

How hard is it to aquire one of those?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska
    edited March 2009
    but I really love the layout
    I have never seen an apartment that small designed that well. That's very clever. The apartment my wife and I started with was about that size, if you include the floorspace of the loft as part of the measured area.
  • AnnesAnnes Tripped Up by Libidos and Hubris Alexandria, VA
    edited March 2009
    The tiling in the bathroom is pimp. Can't wait to see more pics when you move in and decorate it all.
    edited March 2009
    Crazy Joe wrote:
    How hard is it to aquire one of those?

it's not hard to acquire one, it's just a of tedious paper work. When u get all the right documents required, and get it into your local chinese embassy, it will be approved in a matter of couple days. I do think i have an advantage being ethnic chinese :bigggrin:, hopefully that is the case.
    Leonardo wrote:
    I have never seen an apartment that small designed that well. That's very clever. The apartment my wife and I started with was about that size, if you include the floorspace of the loft as part of the measured area.

i believe the loft area is not part of the measured area, because when i was looking at the floor plan, the width of the apartment was 4.05 meter, and the length is about 10 meters, so it comes close to the 41 square meter area. if u include the loft as part of the measured area, i think it would probably add another 5 or so square meters to the area.
    edited March 2009
    Annes wrote:
    The tiling in the bathroom is pimp. Can't wait to see more pics when you move in and decorate it all.

i can't wait either, but gonna have to wait till the middle of may to move in. i am planning flying to china late april, and travel for couple weeks before i start work.
    edited March 2009
    What will you be doing in Shanghai? What prompted the move?
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff
    edited March 2009
    I wish apartments in New York used their space that efficiently. Best of luck in Shanghai!
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC
    edited March 2009
    Awesome apartment. I love the design. The bathroom tile gives me ICHQ basement bathroom vibes.
    edited March 2009
    Buddy J wrote:
    The bathroom tile gives me ICHQ basement bathroom vibes.

For some reason I ADORE the basement shower at ICHQ. Even if the hot water tap burns me every time :-/
    edited March 2009
    Annes wrote:
    What will you be doing in Shanghai? What prompted the move?

i will be working for this electric company that produces transformers, switches, and all the transmission line stuff. what prompted the move?

i guess the best answer is i'm tired of michigan, and i need a change, and it's a job, job = money.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited March 2009
    Very cool layout. Classy. Good luck!
  • edited March 2009
    I don't know if you are single or married but the is just about the ultimate bachelor pad. It's small, easy to clean.. Simple, easy to furnish, and just about cool as can be. The only thing that concerns me is the kitchen. I'm not sure if you will be able to get enough outside light in there. But who cares.

China is really the only other country that I want to visit. There are a few others but nothing comes close to china. Looking forward to reading your posts once you move.
    edited March 2009
    Komete wrote:
    The only thing that concerns me is the kitchen. I'm not sure if you will be able to get enough outside light in there. But who cares.

Bah! Who needs outside light when you have electricity. And leishi is going to be helping to make the electricity so it's all good!!
    edited March 2009
    Komete wrote:
    I don't know if you are single or married but the is just about the ultimate bachelor pad. It's small, easy to clean.. Simple, easy to furnish, and just about cool as can be. The only thing that concerns me is the kitchen. I'm not sure if you will be able to get enough outside light in there. But who cares.

China is really the only other country that I want to visit. There are a few others but nothing comes close to china. Looking forward to reading your posts once you move.

not concerned about the light in the kitchen, not gonna be cooking any food, it seems so un-bachelor like to cook food in the apartment.
  • LincLinc Bard Detroit
    edited March 2009
    Annes wrote:
    For some reason I ADORE the basement shower at ICHQ. Even if the hot water tap burns me every time :-/
    You're doin' it wrong! :p

I would adore it a lot more if I could figure out how to replace the showerhead without ripping the wall out.