Fallout 3 Crash to Desktop

NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
edited March 2009 in Gaming
Hi all,

I've been having troubles playing Fallout 3 for extended periods of time. I'm CTD and seeing this:
attachment.php?attachmentid=26838&stc=1&d=1237502216
Any ideas?

System is currently running stock, game has been reinstalled.

C2D e6320
HD 4850
1GB RAM (Waiting on RMA, occured on old sticks as well)

Edit: From what I can tell, no two error messages have been the same with regard to the given "instruction at" end of the message. The 0x00... has not changed at all.

Comments

• MochanMochan Philippines
    edited March 2009
    Your memory has probably gone bad. It's exposed in particular when you load a game that uses lots of memory, like Fallout. Does it happen on any other game?
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Nope. As I said, this happened on the old bad sticks as well as the new replacement stick. :/
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    I recall some earlier problems with patching the game. A similar behavior was caused by installing the patch and not installing a newer version of Microsoft's Games For Windows Live. Might try that and see how it works.

If that doesn't work, try reinstalling the game. You might have a corrupted file.
    edited March 2009
    I've reinstalled once already, but I'll try to update the Windows Live feature you're talking about.
    edited March 2009
    Didn't work.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited March 2009
    What sound card are you using?

It's a long shot but neither Fallout 3 or Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion will work with the Asus D2X pci-e soundcard.

I know cos I have one, I have to play those two games on a different machine.

And that's despite Asus saying their last patch for the card would fix the problem with Oblivion - it didn't.

Adding another gig of memory may stop the problem, as mentioned above, Fallout 3 uses lots of memory.
    edited March 2009
    What sound card are you using?

It's a long shot but neither Fallout 3 or Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion will work with the Asus D2X pci-e soundcard.

I know cos I have one, I have to play those two games on a different machine. With the Asus card noth games for around twenty minutes then crash. The crash is accompanied by the soundcard oscillating and the computer freezing.

And that's despite Asus saying their last patch for the card would fix the problem with Oblivion - it didn't.

Adding another gig of memory may stop the problem, as mentioned above, Fallout 3 uses lots of memory.
    edited March 2009
    Bugger, that last post, quoted, was meant to be an edit, lol

Oh well, you get the gist of it... ;)
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    do you have any program that's popping up messages?

mirc does it when you connect/disconnect
    steam does it if someone signs on / messages you / joins game
    etc

this was giving me problems until i disabled it.
    edited March 2009
    No worries floppy, I've definitely hit the quote button countless times trying to edit posts.

Its a Gigabyte board, I should have mentioned that above sorry. So it's got the realtek onboard pushing the sound to me. The sticks of RAM I'm RMA'ing were 2GB, but the problem occurred on them as well. :/

Shwaip, I'll start to pay attention to anything popping up. I'm pretty sure that's not causing problems, though. I was playing with firefox w/forecast fox's popups in the background the other day without issue.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Yeah, it may not be what caused it, but almost every time i got a steam popup, i crashed so keep an eye out.