SMP on Server 2003 64 bit?

DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
edited March 2009 in Folding@Home
Anything different I need to know on setting this up? I've got a new server sitting in a rack at work doing nothing and I want to put those 8 cores to good use. Not going into production till mid June.

It's server 2003 R2 64bit. Can I still use the affinity changer and run 4(?) instances of SMP? It's dual quad cores with 12GB of ram, so should put out some decent numbers.

Comments

• LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Ohhh, wow, I have no idea, Dan! I'll see if I can find anything.
    edited March 2009
    Starters. The second link is a bit iffy, but nonetheless might have some pertinent info.

http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=46&t=7144

http://goobee.org/bbs2/viewtopic.php?t=823
  • DanGDanG I AM CANADIAN Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Thanks for the links Leo, I'm hoping to get some time tomorrow to get it up and running. Doesn't look like anything different than with a normal system. On all of my Quad's at home, I'm running dual SMP clients, I'm not sure if I should run 4 SMP clients on this one though. I'll have to play with it.

Snarkasm, just for reference, I'm getting 5400PPD ish from my i7 920, so not all GPU's out perform the CPU's.
    edited March 2009
    I'm not sure if I should run 4 SMP clients on this one though
    Dan, at Foldingforum.org I've seen several cases where dual quads are indeed folding four SMP clients. Even the newest projects, supposedly optimized for quad core CPUs, produce better when doubled on two clients with a quad core.

Snarkasm, even with my two-year old tech Q6600s, overclocked and folding optimal work units, they can outperform the video cards I mentioned in my post above.