i7 Build Suggestions

Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
edited March 2009 in Hardware
Currently running a q6600 with 4GB on XP32. Looking to finally make the move to Vista64 and bump up some hardware a bit. For the most part, I'm either doing 3d rendering or video editing.

Interested in suggestions for an i7 system, main criteria being the best bang for the buck and not straight performance. Video card and all drives are fine, so really just cpu/cooler, mb, ram, and possibly psu. Also, although benchmarks looked promising, if someone's rec is to wait till xxxxxx comes out, I'd be interested in hearing that as well. TIA for any advice.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    DFI LanParty UT T3EH6 (mobo) ($240)
    Core i7 920 ($280)
    6GB of OCZ/G.SKILL/Corsair DDR3-1600 ($100)
    ---
    TOT: $617 USD

Throw in your favorite Corsair or PCP&C PSU and your upgrade is a shade over $700 w/ shipping.
  • Nolf-JobNolf-Job Inside each and every one of you!
    edited March 2009
    Great. Any reason for the DFI over other mbs? And is the stock cooler fine or other recs?
    edited March 2009
    I prefer DFI because it's exceptionally stable, very fast at stock settings and (should you want it) one of the best i7 overclockers. An extra $40 for all the features of any other board PLUS solid caps, lots of headroom and good power regulation seems cheap to me.

Stock cooler is fine.
    edited March 2009
    Thanks!
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Nolf-Job wrote:
    Currently running a q6600 with 4GB on XP32. Looking to finally make the move to Vista64 and bump up some hardware a bit. For the most part, I'm either doing 3d rendering or video editing.

Interested in suggestions for an i7 system, main criteria being the best bang for the buck and not straight performance. Video card and all drives are fine, so really just cpu/cooler, mb, ram, and possibly psu. Also, although benchmarks looked promising, if someone's rec is to wait till xxxxxx comes out, I'd be interested in hearing that as well. TIA for any advice.

Honestly, My advice would be to wait for Windows 7 64 bit to come along. You have realy nice modern hardware right now, why burn cash on a 64 bit OS upgrade when you are just going to covet 7 when it comes out in fall?

Also, I am not sure when its going to happen, but I belive AMD has some plans that involve the stream computing model they have been talking about. Unlocking those stream clusters on the video cards for extra processising might do far more for 3D renders then the brute force aproach of the i7. Its hard to say, its all conjecture at this point, but I think given the quality of your current hardware, its worth the wait for Windows 7 64 bit before you decide what hardware to replace.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Because you're looking for bang-for-the-buck, I'd recommend the Gigabyte EX58-UD3R. It's been well tested to take a Core i7 920 up and over 4Ghz, and should be very easy to work with. It's right around $200 ($185 after rebate from Newegg).

The DFI board is good, but you'll have to decide if the added hybrid power setup and slightly better board performance are worth it in your case. It's the difference between running 89 and 93 octane gas in a Nehalem V8.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Honestly, My advice would be to wait for Windows 7 64 bit to come along. You have realy nice modern hardware right now, why burn cash on a 64 bit OS upgrade when you are just going to covet 7 when it comes out in fall?
    Exactly.
    edited March 2009
    Or you can just acquire build 7000 now, upgrade to RC1 when it comes out (with a repair install), and then upgrade to the retail build when it's released (with a repair install).
    edited March 2009
    I have no real desire to move to Vista if I can avoid it. Anyone know what compatibility, or lack thereof, between Windows7 and Adobe/Autodesk products?

Also, what would anyone think about waiting a bit longer for a Xeon 55xx system. Would the extra chip be worth the additional cost?
    edited March 2009
    I use Photoshop CS3 just fine on Windows 7. I can't speak to the compatibility of autodesk products.

As for a pair of Xeon 5000-series CPUs, it's worth it if you're willing to cash in $1500-1700 for the chips and board alone.