Windows 7 application alternatives thread

BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseurThere's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
edited April 2009 in Science & Tech
If anyone is looking for an alternative to Alcohol 120%, Magic Disk or Daemon Tools, PowerISO works under 7.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited January 2009
    Gizmo Drive also works under Windows 7.
  • HawkHawk Fla Icrontian
    edited February 2009
    I noticed a few people saying their anti-virus software didn't work.
    Threatfire works just fine with Win7.
    And it's a very good free alternative to other pay for software or even other free software like AVG.
    It has a nice small footprint and is quite easy to configure.
    edited February 2009
    Avast! works just fine with Windows 7 as well, and is the best AV package on the market.

Note that the normal XViD codec will not work with Windows 7. You must get the x64 compiled binary.
  • danball1976danball1976 Wichita Falls, TX
    edited April 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Avast! works just fine with Windows 7 as well, and is the best AV package on the market.

Note that the normal XViD codec will not work with Windows 7. You must get the x64 compiled binary.

However, FFDshow (latest version from the regular K-Lite codec pack) works perfectly fine under Windows 7 x64
    edited April 2009
    Actually FFDShow does not actually work. The Windows 7 Beta cannot use third-party codecs. Microsoft is testing the Windows Media Foundation which decodes MPEG4 and H.264 streams, and it will intercept the decoding before any third-party codec. This lock will be released with the first release candidate.
    edited April 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Actually FFDShow does not actually work. The Windows 7 Beta cannot use third-party codecs. Microsoft is testing the Windows Media Foundation which decodes MPEG4 and H.264 streams, and it will intercept the decoding before any third-party codec. This lock will be released with the first release candidate.

Ummm, really? Well, I am using the 32 bit version of FFDshow and media player classic using FFDShow will play files perfect, and I'm running the 64 bit version of Windows 7. Screenshot included.

As for mp4/mkv/h264, FFDShow does play them, but I prefer to have CoreAVC play them.
    edited April 2009
    Yes, really. Any time a third-party codec attempts to decode content on Windows 7, the built-in codecs from the Windows Media Foundation library of codecs steps in and takes over. Windows 7 includes integrated support for playback of Quicktime MOV, DiVX, XViD, H.264 and x264 content.

http://forum.corecodec.com/viewtopic.php?f=3&p=9675

Your content plays because Windows 7 can decode what you have. Microsoft has done this to make sure that the WMF gets tested, instead of all its savvy testers never giving it a whirl because they installed another codec like you did.
    edited April 2009
    Well, I knew about Windows 7 having h264/mp4 support built in, but without installing an extra codecs, none of the files would play unless I did install additional codec packs. That doesn't really make sense with what seems to supposed to be happening
    edited April 2009
    I see your content is an MKV encoded with AVC1. Windows 7 has no support for that, which is why FFDShow is working to decode it.

FFDShow won't work with any DiVX/XViD/h264, which is the vast majority of the content out there, ie all the not-anime.