Computer Restarting Repeatedly!!

davidlyhuadavidlyhua Member
edited April 2009 in Hardware
Hi,

I am running Windows XP and I'm having a problem where everytime I turn on the computer, it shuts down after about 5 seconds, stays off for about 3 seconds and then starts on its own again and shuts down after about 5 seconds again and it keeps doing it over and over again. I can NOT get it to stay on long enough to run a virus scan or get into safe mode.

I don't think it's an overheating problem because I had an overheating problem a while ago and the computer would at least stay on for a few minutes before overheating whereas now it is just restarting after a few seconds, even after having left the computer off overnight and turning it on in the morning when it is still quite cool.

Is it possible that another piece of hardware could be causing the problem? Or are there any known viruses that cause this kind of problem?

Regards,
David

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    It's either your power supply or your memory. Start by reseating the memory. If that doesn't work, try any sticks you have one at a time in every slot. If that doesn't work, it's probably your PSU.
  • davidlyhuadavidlyhua Member
    edited April 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    It's either your power supply or your memory. Start by reseating the memory. If that doesn't work, try any sticks you have one at a time in every slot. If that doesn't work, it's probably your PSU.

I tried reseating the ram sticks but it didn't help.

If it is the power supply, would unplugging the CD-rom drives from the power supply help? As I have tried starting the computer without the CD-rom drives connected to the power supply however I still keep getting the same problem of my computer restarting.
  • Mt_GoatMt_Goat Head Cheezy Knob Pflugerville (north of Austin) Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    You will need to check the output of the power supply with a multimeter or get someone to check it for you. There are 3.3v, 5v and 12v lines that should be within +/- 5%.
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for your help guys. I ended up taking it to a computer store and they found out what the problem was at a cost of $70 to me!!

It turns out that I had a faulty ram stick. So all I had to do was try booting up the computer after removing one of the ram sticks and it would have saved me $70!

Oh well, I guess we learn from our mistakes.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited April 2009
    Thrax wrote:

Time to chalk another notch up Thrax! lol :wink:
    edited April 2009
    Thrax wrote:

I apologise for not following all of your instructions Thrax. I only tried reseating the memory which didn't work. I should have followed through with the rest of your instructions.

I will never doubt your knowledge again.