Hello I'm new here!

edited April 2009 in Folding@Home
Hello just wanted to shout hey to everyone I am new here!

Comments

• edited April 2009
    well, hello there action jackson. I hope you come to enjoy the icrontic life
    remember people are kinda friendly here, so feel free to ask any questions you want
    :-)

(to be honest i'm kinda new too.)
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Welcome aboard :)
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Welcome aboard the Folding Ship!!! :D
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    <--- is also new, and diggin the community
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Welcome everyone! Like patrick said, we're "kinda friendly" but not too friendly; that'd just be creepy. ;)
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Howdy jackson and Doc! :wave:
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Welcome Jackson and Doc! :D
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Welcome everyone, can't wait to see you on the folding boards and the forums.
    edited April 2009
    next dumb question, heard alittle about folding, what is the down and dirty?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Folding@Home is a computer program that uses your computer's spare CPU (processor) and GPU (video card processor) power simulate human protein folding at the molecular level. It's a program used for computer assisted scientific research. There are thousands of teams contributing to this project and having competing with each other.

Read about it here. You'd be welcomed to join our team, which is one of the oldest of several thousand.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited April 2009
    Hey newbies! ^_^ Come join the folding team, I need a little competition down here in the 100+ ranks.
    edited April 2009
    thinking about trying to set up a folding farm. if i can figuer out how to do it
    edited April 2009
    Thats what we are here for, you looking to do a farm of CPU(how many cores) or GPU clients.
    edited April 2009
    probably just cpu clients, if i get them, the towers are gonna be used school comupters, and if i do this i'm gonna try and spend as little money on it as possable, but it sounds like i could probably get as many of the towers as i want. Ideally, i want to run all the CPU's from one station, with one moniter without unplugging and re plugging the same moniter in. would it be possable to link all these crappy towers together and have them run one clint at a much more effcient rate, or run seperate clients on each?
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited April 2009
    Network Folding... interesting... I think it would be a lot more efficient and cheaper to have each machine folding a different unit but maybe someone has tried otherwise on this site.

Also, I have yet to hear about a program that lets you split each working unit onto different cores. But again, maybe someone here has experienced to the differ.
    edited April 2009
    Stanford would prefer you to run clients for each processor, so they can have an array of proteins that are being worked on at one time. There are a few debates on the folding forums about this.

So you don't have to move monitors around you could set them all up with some free remote software, there is windows remote desktop. There are other ways to. Logmein is fairly simple and allows you to check on things as long as you have an internet connection. This is fairly round about if its at the same location but simple and free. For folding just make sure your folders are in a location that you can access them from another computer on the home network and use FahMon to track when clients shutdown or error out then go check on them.

If you have any questions, I don't think I am being very clear, why not make another thread so we don't clutter this one.