Oblivion Super Characters

Comments

• ErikNorthmanErikNorthman south D.
    edited April 2009
    and everything i posted can be done on the original version with 0 downloads or expansions...just saying.....

Also, Peyrite's shrine is on the south bank of the silverfish river, a river that leads into Niben Bay
    edited April 2009
    im gonna make a youtube vid of my guy so u guys can check it out.

it'll be called " ErikNorthman-VampSlaya Extraordinaire" tho i wont actually kill vamps cause they too weak and wont really be impressive enough lol. prolly fight some xivlia or deadroth or somethin. and by fight, i mean stand there while they do 0 damage on max difficulty lol. with no armor lol. or weps.....
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    ;D welcome to Icrontic, ErikNorthman :)
  • karmicRetributekarmicRetribute Aghadrumsee, Fermanagh, Ireland!!!!
    edited April 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    All this talk got me excited again for Oblivion. So I started up a new game last night. It's actually been long enough since I last played it that it feels pretty new again.

Atronach Brithsign, Stealth based character focused around Alchemy, Destruction, Mysticism, Restoration, Sneak, Security, Marksmanship.

I'm glad to hear it, thats what i hoped this thread would do, wanted to get people back into it, such a timeless game :bigggrin:

Thank you for all the info on spell absorbtion btw, so do you find that the atronoch sign is just one step too far down the tactical scale and brings an air of over preparation to the game at times?
    edited April 2009
    im gonna make a youtube vid of my guy so u guys can check it out.

it'll be called " ErikNorthman-VampSlaya Extraordinaire" tho i wont actually kill vamps cause they too weak and wont really be impressive enough lol. prolly fight some xivlia or deadroth or somethin. and by fight, i mean stand there while they do 0 damage on max difficulty lol. with no armor lol. or weps.....

I think i may have finally found a man who loves Oblivion as much as I :bigggrin:

Thank you for that tutorial that you wrote out, must have taken a while but it will be endlessly useful! I'm starting a new character and now that i've maxed one character in a legit manner im gunna make a mad super character like yours :bigggrin:

whats it like playing with this suped up char? I can imagine immortality to be quite an amazing experience, thanks for the tip with the frozen guys btw i've been trying to level my blade legitly but im on the verge of commited suicide by swallowing my controller cuz its that monotonous.:rolleyes:

What do you think of the ingame easter eggs? like the suicidal troll and the Uderfryke matron? Quite entertaining eh?
    edited April 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    For me I found finishing the mages quest to be the most difficult. It wasn't that it was physically difficult like some of the thief or warrior guild quests. But because some of the things they wanted you to do were so cryptic.

I completey agree, there is quite alot involved, you'd never guess what happened to me though, i was doing the last quest where you have to kill the king of the worms, anticipating the difficulty i used a 100% chameleon spell i had developed and attacked the guard at the door... What does he do but go on a runner, im chasing him but by the time i've realised whats going on the f**ker is halfway down the mountain still holding the key i need to open the door;D

DEPRESSION
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited April 2009
    I'm glad to hear it, thats what i hoped this thread would do, wanted to get people back into it, such a timeless game :bigggrin:

Thank you for all the info on spell absorbtion btw, so do you find that the atronoch sign is just one step too far down the tactical scale and brings an air of over preparation to the game at times?

Pretty much. You can't just cast spells whenever you want, which is annoying. You always have to get to a point where you need to recharge your magic. It's not hard to do, it's just one of those steps you have to take and I don't find the few extra magicka points you get to be worth that annoyance. Recharging magic becomes a chore and that just bugs me in a game where everything else is well integrated. Also if it were more difficult to obtain spell absorption I could see added value. But spell absorption isn't that hard to come by. So really the spell absorption is only usefull at the beginning when you don't really need it since the magic damage you take isn't that high. It also happens to be when recharging your magic is more difficult.
    edited April 2009
    I completey agree, there is quite alot involved, you'd never guess what happened to me though, i was doing the last quest where you have to kill the king of the worms, anticipating the difficulty i used a 100% chameleon spell i had developed and attacked the guard at the door... What does he do but go on a runner, im chasing him but by the time i've realised whats going on the f**ker is halfway down the mountain still holding the key i need to open the door;D

DEPRESSION

Best way to avoid this. Make a melee weapon that does 2 seconds of paralysis on contact. It's just enough to make them fall down so they can't run away and you can hit them as they start to get back up.
    edited April 2009
    To <cite class="ic-username"></cite>ErikNorthman

Interesting tips. But, from personal experience don't you find that makes the game dull. It's not like the game is overly hard to begin with if you just follow along with it's natural progression.

While I can see some fun to twink out a character after you've basically finished it. I don't see the point of doing it all the way through. It'd be like a grown man playing dodgeball with pre-schoolers.
  • edited April 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    It'd be like a grown man playing dodgeball with pre-schoolers.

I thought that's what oblivion is, isn't it?

naw, just kiddin'

It's kind of soup, right?
    edited April 2009
    I think i may have finally found a man who loves Oblivion as much as I :bigggrin:

Thank you for that tutorial that you wrote out, must have taken a while but it will be endlessly useful! I'm starting a new character and now that i've maxed one character in a legit manner im gunna make a mad super character like yours :bigggrin:

whats it like playing with this suped up char? I can imagine immortality to be quite an amazing experience, thanks for the tip with the frozen guys btw i've been trying to level my blade legitly but im on the verge of commited suicide by swallowing my controller cuz its that monotonous.:rolleyes:

What do you think of the ingame easter eggs? like the suicidal troll and the Uderfryke matron? Quite entertaining eh?

It is fantastic to be able to punch a xivlia to death lol. and ya, no prob on the frozen guys tip. i almost drove myself crazy trying to train blade and blunt legitly lol.and ya, at first with my legit high elf, the uderfryke matron is a pain to kill because the lack of health with high elves, but i killed it with a 1 hitter quitter with me fists, then jumped off the mountain to go to bigger better things lol. i have yet to find the giant slaughter fish, but the hunt continues lol. also, once you get high enough strength, and blunt to level 100, you can fight like 12 guards at once and hit them with your mace and send em flying like sauron from the first lotr lol. good times good times lol
    edited April 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    To <CITE class=ic-username></CITE>ErikNorthman

Interesting tips. But, from personal experience don't you find that makes the game dull. It's not like the game is overly hard to begin with if you just follow along with it's natural progression.

While I can see some fun to twink out a character after you've basically finished it. I don't see the point of doing it all the way through. It'd be like a grown man playing dodgeball with pre-schoolers.

it is almost the same gameplay, only a litle easier, if you change the ifficulty to maximum. it is still easier than it would be, but in my opinion, it is really fun to be able to speed through oblivion gate after oblivion gate and kill everything, (not to mention swim through lava :D) with an iron dagger and red velvet colthes lol.
    edited April 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    Best way to avoid this. Make a melee weapon that does 2 seconds of paralysis on contact. It's just enough to make them fall down so they can't run away and you can hit them as they start to get back up.

or lol, you could always just bost speed up and run him down lol. thats always a good time lol. oh ya, i won a race against that M'aiq khajit that is always runnin around. lol. fun times.
    edited April 2009
    In my opinion, the most difficult quest line, is the Thieves. But that is just because i dont use invisibility.

Random Tip: The best way to make money is Dorian. Make sure you dont max out his disposition until you have put about 500gp into bribing him. youll make 10 mil like me in no time lolz.

Random Tip: The second you break out of the prison, head to vindasel and kill umbra. turn difficulty all the way down and use flare a bunch. then you will have some good starter armor. some people like to use this armor for the rest of the game, which is fine if you have the health and enchantments to back it up. since my nord is good enough def wise, i just use full orcish armor, non enchanted, and masque of clavicus vile. yes yes, i turned umbra's sword in since it isnt as good as most people think once you can get daedric and enchante them. and if you get the sword before getting the "kill umbra" quest from clavicus Vile's shrine, make sure to wait until you see the pop-up that says "you have retrieved umbra, you should return to the clavicu vile to recieve your reward. you have to talk to the head worshipper guy to activate the quest, then wait a minute. once you are level 20, you are going to want to do the Daedric God Boethia's quest so you can get Goldbrand, some sweet Daedric armor, and the best arrows in the game.
    edited April 2009
    kryyst wrote:

Yes, i see, that would definately have helped me avoid this fluctuation in my game;D

Thank you for the info i'll make sure to have either a paralyze spell or weapon from now on my friend, solid advice:bigggrin:
    edited April 2009
    It is fantastic to be able to punch a xivlia to death lol. and ya, no prob on the frozen guys tip. i almost drove myself crazy trying to train blade and blunt legitly lol.and ya, at first with my legit high elf, the uderfryke matron is a pain to kill because the lack of health with high elves, but i killed it with a 1 hitter quitter with me fists, then jumped off the mountain to go to bigger better things lol. i have yet to find the giant slaughter fish, but the hunt continues lol. also, once you get high enough strength, and blunt to level 100, you can fight like 12 guards at once and hit them with your mace and send em flying like sauron from the first lotr lol. good times good times lol

It must bring a whole new element of things you can do ingame! yea i tried to find the slaughter fish couldn't find it though. Have you found the giant mudcrab, funny stuff!! Whats the best thing you have done with your character??
    edited April 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    Pretty much. You can't just cast spells whenever you want, which is annoying. You always have to get to a point where you need to recharge your magic. It's not hard to do, it's just one of those steps you have to take and I don't find the few extra magicka points you get to be worth that annoyance. Recharging magic becomes a chore and that just bugs me in a game where everything else is well integrated. Also if it were more difficult to obtain spell absorption I could see added value. But spell absorption isn't that hard to come by. So really the spell absorption is only usefull at the beginning when you don't really need it since the magic damage you take isn't that high. It also happens to be when recharging your magic is more difficult.

I understand completely it disrupts the games flow with only an added 50 pts magica and some not so hard to come by spell absorbtion, not enough to make the disjointed gameplay worthwile... I could see the possible advantages of fighting mage based characters but the cons heavily outweigh the pros.

What would you consider to be more useful, spell absorbtion or spell reflection?
    edited April 2009
    I find spell absorption to be more effective as it recharges you. Spell Reflection damages the caster. But generally you are doing more damage with your attacks then they are with their own. So you may as well absorb the spell charge up your magicka and bring hell back to them.
    edited April 2009
    Hmm thsts a fair point, so if your a mage in anyway spell absorbtion is for you, but if you're melee based then spell reflection would be a bonus upon you're attacks and a chance of saving some health?
    edited April 2009
    Yep pretty much. If you use any sort of combat casted magic (offense or defense) spell absorption is the way to go. If you don't use magic at all then reflection would be more useful.

However I can't think of anytime ever that I've made a character that doesn't use magic. Magic is just so easy to get a hold of and use that not using it is far more difficult then using it a little.
    edited April 2009
    It must bring a whole new element of things you can do ingame! yea i tried to find the slaughter fish couldn't find it though. Have you found the giant mudcrab, funny stuff!! Whats the best thing you have done with your character??

The best thing i have probably done is completly cleaned out those oblivion gates at the end of the game with my fists. i had forgotten to re-stock my repair hammers, and i use all of my weapons equally, so they were all almost broken, so about 13 or 14 kills into the first gate, i didnt have any weapons left, so i had to close that gate and the rest of those gates without any weapons lol. it was hard, but ka little fun lol. i didnt have any good spells either, just little "on self" spells for like 1 sec for training, so i have to melee it. Thats probably the best thing, tho not the funnest lol. Another good thing is i elimintaed all the guards in every city at least once with chainmail and iron dagger. also swimming around in lava is always fun when in gates lol. i just made my guy about 5 days ago and it took me about 4 hours to make him good.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited April 2009
    After about 18 months of half heartedly dabbling in Oblivion I sat down for the last six nights playing several hours each evening and completed the main quest.

Damn - I was enjoying this game so much.

I have the two add-ons and I've only completed three side-quests.

So - is it actually worthwhile for me to carry on doing the side quests and messing about with it?

My character was an Orc, battle class, I don't hold much with all that magic ;)
    edited April 2009
    i would say yes. side quests can give you some sweet stuff, including the eschelon of chorrol.
    edited April 2009
    kryyst wrote:
    Yep pretty much. If you use any sort of combat casted magic (offense or defense) spell absorption is the way to go. If you don't use magic at all then reflection would be more useful.

However I can't think of anytime ever that I've made a character that doesn't use magic. Magic is just so easy to get a hold of and use that not using it is far more difficult then using it a little.

I'm the exact same, allmy friends would be going about smashing things with their weapons, but i find it so much more appealing to kill enemies with magic. it so mch more tactiacal and you feel so powerful, nothing can stand up to a good mage really, just have to know what spells to use i find. i have always been a mage in any game where it is possible

:bigggrin:
    edited April 2009
    After about 18 months of half heartedly dabbling in Oblivion I sat down for the last six nights playing several hours each evening and completed the main quest.

So - is it actually worthwhile for me to carry on doing the side quests and messing about with it?

edited April 2009

woops i must have accidently deleted what i typed above ;D

Yea its well worth it, theres still 5 guilds to do (including the arena) and i find that they were far more fun, and i mean far more fun and timeconsuming (the good type) than the mainquest. i have clocked up 175 hours on the game so you're never near finished :bigggrin::rolleyes:
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the comments ErikNorthman & karmicRetribute, that's exactly what I wanted to hear :)

I spent 41 hours on the main quest.

I've joined the Fighter's Guild, time to join the others then.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Personally, I found it more fun to start a new character for each of the main quest-lines, but I think I like the game to be challenging, which is not a prevailing opinion in this thread.

Whenever any of my characters got to the point that I wasn't constantly worried about dying, the game got boring.
    edited April 2009
    CB wrote:
    Personally, I found it more fun to start a new character for each of the main quest-lines, but I think I like the game to be challenging, which is not a prevailing opinion in this thread.

Whenever any of my characters got to the point that I wasn't constantly worried about dying, the game got boring.

I haven't gone to the trouble of restarting a character for each main quest line ever time. But I am with you in trying to keep the game challenging. The key word is trying. It's actually more difficult to keep the game challenging then to not run away with it. I'm not even talking about twinking out a character, but just playing through with normally presented options.

Ways I've found to make the game more challenging are, easiest way, up the difficulty slider. Alternatively level up quickly without worrying about maximizing your stats. If you play the game without fully dealing with all the subtle bits it actually stays pretty challenging.

The biggest flaw in the story I think is how quickly they try and push you towards that first Oblivion gate. If you just follow the main story and quick teleport to locations you can hit that first oblivion gate by level 1 or 2 and it'll kick your butt. What makes matters worse (or better depending on your point of view) is that clearing out the first Oblivion gate makes more spawn and really ramps up the challenge factor.

That being said I think they probably should have tried to push your first Oblivion gate rush around lvl 10. It would have been a more normal spot for it I think. More normal then a 1st level newb rushing the gates of hell that is.
    edited April 2009
    Thanks for the comments ErikNorthman & karmicRetribute, that's exactly what I wanted to hear :)

I spent 41 hours on the main quest.

I've joined the Fighter's Guild, time to join the others then.

Glad to help mate, Just an opinion i'd like to share with you, I find that the Dark brotherhood is the best to play through, just kill an innocent and sleep and you will be visited by a representative of the darkbrotherhood and assigned your entry requirement task, enjoy :bigggrin: