Artistic Photography

Comments

• primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Your skills are improving a great deal, snark. Great shots.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    oh snap, just looking at all these photos makes me want to get a DSLR, but me so poor right now, no afford DSLR.....
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Sunset Between Legs = win. Also, thanks for sad bicycles. They warmed my heart.
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited March 2009
    Kwitko wrote:
    Sunset Between Legs = win. ---
    <3
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Myrmidon wrote:
    I REALLY should have moved that shit out of the background.

The Wii truly is "shit."
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Absolutely gorgeous photos, Snark.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited March 2009
    Thank you, m'dear, and all. :)

Leishi, focus on moving to China before thinking about cameras! :D
  • rayrayrayray Phoenix, Az
    edited April 2009
    DSC04803.jpg
    DSC01882.jpg
    DSC01871.jpg
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Rayray, I enjoy flowers, too. One of the best subjects available for a lense.
    edited April 2009
    Leonardo wrote:
    Rayray, I enjoy flowers, too. One of the best subjects available for a lense.

My last picture demonstrates a bit of the Fibbonaci sequence in it.
    edited April 2009
    With the exception of the shots above, I haven't posted photos in awhile, so excuse the several posts that follow.
    edited April 2009
    edited April 2009
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited April 2009
    Loving the floral & mountain pics. :)

LIN
    edited April 2009
    DSC04816.jpg
    DSC05145_Large.jpg
    DSC02814.jpg
    DSC02813.jpg
    DSC00517.jpg
    DSC01874.jpg
    DSC03301.jpg
    DSC03346.jpg
    DSC03448.jpg
    DSC03555.jpg

You can check out the galleries I got some of these from: My wandering around downtown Phoenix in 2005 on Thanksgiving day with my camera.

Unfortunately I had to resize the images on the server and they're not the best quality so I plan to make a 'best of' album someday. If you have Firefox and the Cooliris plugin, you can browse it all in 3d.

I basically took 20,000 pictures and went through several cameras and cataloged my visits to raves and parties and whereever the wind took me on a cloudy day organized by year: My main collection.

I run a dedicated server in colocation that is hosting this site and 60 other domains of friends and people who happen to give me enough money to keep it going. Over the years I let other people put party pictures in my gallery and now it takes up 140GB space and the MySQL database at a gig and a half for all the data. I'm always screwing around with Apache, PHP and MySQL configuration files all the time to try to get better performance out of it. I am even using a lighttpd server listening on another IP address that compresses and sets expire headers on any static files I can write mod_rewrite rules for, working as a free CDN, and so the page downloads in parallel.

What's really cool is for my Gallery we've actually gone through 160,000 pictures and tagged the names of everyone in them for a massive tag cloud and have been adding GPS coordinates for a Google Map of all of the picture locations that catalogs where all the parties have been in the world.
  • edited April 2009
    All of the pics posted here are great. I think it takes a lot of talent to be able to "see" the art from behind the camera ;)
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Snark,

I gotta say, I can only dream of getting shots half a good as yours, amazing stuff.
    edited May 2009
    I'm trying to scheme a way to get myself a decent DSLR by taking wedding photos. I want to prove to the world that the Sonoran Desert is more beautiful than anyone imagined.
  • floppybootstompfloppybootstomp Greenwich New
    edited May 2009
    rayray wrote:
    I'm trying to scheme a way to get myself a decent DSLR by taking wedding photos. I want to prove to the world that the Sonoran Desert is more beautiful than anyone imagined.

Aye, I've been saying that about Deptford for years but nobody ever believes me.

I noticed your avvy text, whatever you call it, about dj-ing.

I been dj-ing since 1970, I was 19 back then.

Saturday just gone I hauled out the coffin and done a 21st 9 til 2 at Peckham.

Young folks liked it, quite odd.

I still breathing, so I'll still do it :)

Actually, I'm good. Very good.

Old, perhaps.

But good :)
  • edited May 2009
    Holy wow Snark, those photos are amazing.

Here's some photos from my three weeks (so far) learning photography:
    (All taken with an Olympus E-410 and kit lenses)

3488175880_ff6d5c9761.jpg?v=0

3484867361_d6c3403ae5.jpg?v=0
    I screwed up on the framing for this one, didn't get his feet in the shot. Should be able to get nicer shots now that the tripod is in, but now that I'm looking at it, a monopod would be really cool actually.

3477096485_1ea15eb228.jpg?v=0

3477903374_76d34e83b1.jpg?v=0

3477095507_4659368bc2.jpg?v=0

3474946903_94b7440b06.jpg?v=0

3391032608_ed73ecd7bb.jpg?v=0
    This one was cool to play with in photoshop.
  • edited May 2009
    Nomad wrote:
    8.jpg

22 second exposure, f/25

Random image during when I was trying to capture the first image.

I love this photo Nomad, what post-processing techniques did you use for the colors effect? This looks similar to what I've read about trying to get a cross-processed look in photoshop. Also was this very late in the day/at night or did you use an ND filter? I've had a lot of difficulty taking photos in the day using our camera but the aperture only goes as small as f/22, it comes out almost completely blown out white and unusable. Was trying to take a long exposure of the wake of the boat on the cruise but it was impossible, I was only able to take long exposures at night like this one, but I didn't really want to roam the boat at 1 in the morning without my parents knowing where I was since they were asleep, so I couldn't go to the back of the boat for wake pictures. :(

3509112227_010ba2cd0b.jpg?v=0

I really wish I had gotten a tripod sooner, came in yesterday and have been toying with it since.
    VVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVVV Tripod makes taking pictures of far away things a bit more practical.

3506972464_7134bcde3d.jpg?v=0
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Three I took the other day I am starting to get into this alot since i bought my panasonic lumix camera
  • edited May 2009
    Today's game: my son scoring his second :)
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited June 2009
    Very nice shots!
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    <table style="width: auto;"><tbody><tr><td>IMG_3520.jpg</td></tr><tr><td style="font-family: arial,sans-serif; font-size: 11px; text-align: right;">From Grand Canyon!</td></tr></tbody></table>

I haven't touched any of these photos up, but I threw them on picasa to share with the fam...
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited June 2009
    Grand view. :cool:

I like the sunset pics in your album, too.
  • edited June 2009
    I am rather envious of snarcky. Some new photos..

3650402736_4eefa3d899.jpg?v=0

3644518939_b210695d64.jpg?v=0

3596222111_045121e47b.jpg?v=0

3597029154_b985f4a498.jpg?v=0
  • LINLIN Tri_State Area
    edited June 2009
    All nice, but I like the first two quite well! :)
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I really like that last shot MD. I think that first one would look pretty awesome, too, if the leaves on the tree were still green. Not to say it doesn't look good the way it is.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I should really introduce my dad to this. He'd enjoy it immensely.

RayRay's electroball shot is really spiffy looking. Good job everyone.