Video card upgrade question

RMFRMF
edited May 2009 in Hardware
Hi folks,

I've been thinking about upgrading my video card lately but I'm not sure if it's worth it yet. I currently have an 8800GTS 640MB in my system. The rest of my specs are as fgollows:

ASUS M2N-SLI deluxe
AMD 5600+ X2
2GB Corsair 667 Ram

..and I'm gaming on a 1680x1050 widescreen LCD.

The card that I had in mind was possibly an ATI 4890 1GB OC version as that seems to be the best card for my price range, but I'm not sure if the gains will justify the upgrade price. I have not been able to find any information or comparisons between the two. Will there be a significant boost in performance? Will the rest of my system hold the new card back?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advvance.

Comments

• mew905mew905 Saskatchewan
    edited May 2009
    RMF wrote:
    Hi folks,

I've been thinking about upgrading my video card lately but I'm not sure if it's worth it yet. I currently have an 8800GTS 640MB in my system. The rest of my specs are as fgollows:

ASUS M2N-SLI deluxe
    AMD 5600+ X2
    2GB Corsair 667 Ram

..and I'm gaming on a 1680x1050 widescreen LCD.

The card that I had in mind was possibly an ATI 4890 1GB OC version as that seems to be the best card for my price range, but I'm not sure if the gains will justify the upgrade price. I have not been able to find any information or comparisons between the two. Will there be a significant boost in performance? Will the rest of my system hold the new card back?

Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advvance.

I went from an 8800GT (a bit more powerful than the GTS 640) to a GTX 260 and didn't notice any performance improvements except in graphics intensive games such as Crysis or NFS Undercover. With the Athlon X2, honestly you're already CPU limited but again, if you're looking for more stable FPS or higher FPS in games like the ones mentioned above, it will help. But as for justifying the price... honestly I spent $380 on my 8800GT when I got it, the $300 price tag on the GTX 260 wasn't worth the improvement. I'm thinking about selling it already and saving up a bit more for the GTX 295 or GT300 when its released. Look around on reviews, if you feel say an extra 20fps in Crysis is worth $350 (I'm guessing the price here), then all the power to you.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Personally I think the GTX 2xx series is a waste of money, My 9800GT plays everything I need and then some. Ill wait till the next Gen also you are limited quite a bit by your CPU, My bro in law runs the same CPU with a 7950 GX2 ( awesome card ) Same mobo with 2gb of ram but the PC doesnt cut it.