Muiltiple tower set-up

DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
edited May 2009 in Folding@Home
Any imput on setting up a "folding farm"? as of right now i don't have the towers even, but i may have access to several soon, i like the romote client idea, never used it but i have heard of them. and the other question is would it even be possable to link all the cpu's together and run a single client, versus running muiltiple clients on individual towers. the computers i'll be getting probably aren't nothing special, seeing as how they are old school computers. the other issue i may run into is the uploading of data, i'm expressly forbidden to use bit.torrent programs, is the data trransfer anything like those with the folding clients?

Comments

• mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    For remote access to the boxes I had folding in various places in my house I used VNC; works for both Windows and Linux. You cannot run a single project across multiple boxes, the latencies would be too high. The uploads use basic file transfer protocol, nothing like bit torrent.

For machines that will be doing nothing other than SMP or even the single core CPU client, I highly recommend running under Linux. The Linux client is nearly twice as productive as the Windows client.

Warning: Folding farms are addictive! I've recently torn mine down as the power consumption was getting out of control.
  • _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Ooohhhrrrrreeeeeaaaaallllllyyyyyyy!
  • DocFrazierDocFrazier Gladbrook, IA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    tops i'm thinking 3 towers. shouldn't be too bad on power consumption. Never run linux, wpuldn't know the fist thing about it, the towers i may get will come with XP, and thats about it, so i imagian it wouldn't be hard to switch to the different OS. still got to talk to the Dean about getting the computers though, they have liike 113 of them to give away, but i don't expect them to just set them in the hall and tell people to grab them.
    edited May 2009
    Ubuntu isn't that hard to set up, I did it. Its pretty easy because it sets itself up, use version 8 of Ubuntu. There are guides on the folding forums on how to set the clients up, a simple cut and paste in command lines.
    edited May 2009
    right on, well now it jsut depends on wether i get the computers or not, if i don't i'll probably just set up the CUP/GPU clients on my main computer and run those when i'm not home or asleep
    edited May 2009
    bump! so whats going on with this.
    edited May 2009
    still waiting to hear on the actual computers, first step.
    edited May 2009
    Its been 10 days do you just need a little hippo_bump.jpg