How hacking destroyed another community

LincLinc OwnerDetroit Icrontian
edited May 2009 in Science & Tech

Comments

• RADARADA Apple Valley, CA Member
    edited May 2009
    Boy, that sucks. Wish we could help them, but it's not like helping someone pick up after a storm, or earthquake....
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Icrontic without a doubt has given a very resolute middle finger to the hackers that did this by bringing back the community better than ever.

Hopefully the guys at Avsim will find the resolve to do the same.

I know its going to be hard for them, but the optimist in me can see it as an opportunity to re tool things and make it an even stronger community.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    wish I could say what I think but I'll be censored. So I will say what that want me too.

Yeah, too bad. all that work. I know your pain. Their site was great. No one deserves that. Hope they get back on there feet soon. My deepest sympathy for their loss.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    What, that they were dumb shits for not backing up off-site? That too.
  • jj Sterling Heights, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    What, that they were dumb shits for not backing up off-site? That too.

Now Now Lincoln. Be nice. We should all come together as one, and support one another. Their loss is our loss too. Maybe we should send them a card. Golly, I sure think that's a swell idea. Whata ya say?
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I look at it this way: it's pretty dumb to not have airbags. But if some idiot runs into you and kills you, it's still them that's going to jail.

They should have taken more steps to safeguard their site, but that doesn't excuse what was done.
  • Al
    edited May 2009
    Thanks for this post. I will surely put more thought into having a proper backup system in place. It's too bad the Internet can't be a place without people wanting to ruin other people's day
  • ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
    edited May 2009
    My first post on this site, after reading about it's history and then reading this, makes me sick.

Juvenile and weak fools like these do not deserve minds capable of such things.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    It's all fun and games for the hacker... some do it for revenge or just to spite. The problem is that hundreds or thousands of people are effected by their social ineptitude. When Icrontic got hacked so many years ago, it REALLY sucked. I was lost and felt like my Web world was torn out of me. When Brian, Media-Man, and Shorty brought Short-Media online to take the place of IC, the beginning of the rebuilding of the community began but it was never the same. We have recovered and are doing great after all these years but we are not the same. Change is good when it is gradual and planned. Radical change is a hard pill to swallow.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited May 2009
    It is sad that even in this day and age it takes a catastrophic event like this before an organization, or said organization's shot callers realize the importance of not just regular backups, but off site backups, and redundant backup schedules and systems.

I currently work for a company that does not back up any user data. All my colleagues and I joke about how 1 day the CEO is going to lose all his data, and THEN we will finally have a backup strategy. But I don't want to be there the day that actually happens.

I'm sorry to hear about avsims misfortune, but I hope other organizations learn from avsim's very common mistake.