Comments

• UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    It's been out for like.... 22 hours.

this. time a million.
  • ScizSciz Chesterfield
    edited May 2009
    It's been out for like.... 22 hours.

I understand this. I am just saying, until it's fixed I won't be playing as much. It's not cool that some people who are playing for free already have some if not all the new weapons and I have jack shit.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    CB wrote:
    I do think that the system of forcing people to whore achievements to get the items was not working, personally.
    It took me up until Monday or so to finally get the Ubersaw. I was ecstatic. I was just gushing about it. It didn't bother me in the least it took me so long to get it, because Medic isn't a frequent class for me.

Likewise, I still only have 1 scout unlock, despite playing scout a LOT. It's slightly annoying, but I'm patient. The idea of just having things spontaneously appear is incredibly lame. Why even bother holding anything back at that point? I didn't sign up for World of Warcraft to go on a goddamn quest for the flare gun. "Switching weapons" is slowly transitioning into "managing your backpack's inventory" which is what Diablo is for (a game I do not play), not Team Fortress.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    If you read the blog Valve gives a decent explanation why they did it this way and that it did launch with some problems that they'll be fixing. I fully trust that by the end of the week we'll see a much improved system.
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Yes, Valve always explains

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2535

Future update:
    Item trading. This is why you're finding duplicates.

-Bobby
  • ScizSciz Chesterfield
    edited May 2009
    Bobby1211 wrote:
    Yes, Valve always explains

http://www.teamfortress.com/post.php?id=2535

Future update:

-Bobby

Honest opinion: Item trading in an FPS = wtf? Neat idea but again, this is an FPS in the end, so why add an RPG like style to it. If you ask me, they are going the wrong direction.

Update: seems they fixed most of the larger issues, I might get on right now...

May 22, 2009 - Team Fortress 2 Update Released

Updates to Team Fortress 2 have been released. The updates will be applied automatically when your Steam client is restarted. The specific changes include:

Team Fortress 2

• Fixed Ambassador not using hitboxes to trace against players. It now works like all other bullet-firing weapons in the game
    • Fixed Ambassador shooting through gates
    • Fixed Ambassador not critting during the round win period
    • Fixed control point not being named correctly on Arena Sawmill
    • Fixed cloaked Spies being able to taunt attack
    • Fixed Spy feign death not being reflected in scoreboard
    • Fixed Jarate effect on DX8 machines
    • Fixed rare crash in Spy "A Cut Above" achievement
    • Fixed the backpack icon appearing over the "Could not connect to Steam" message in the client inventory
    • Fixed German localization string for respawning players showing %1
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    So having played for a few (six, goddamn addiction) hours today, it seems to me that I might just be able to handle this new weapon-finding system.

Toward the beginning, I was just playing for the hell of it - "yeah, big deal, I have a few extra kritzkriegs lying around now, I could take or leave the new system" - and suddenly the Dead Ringer appeared.

I don't play spy. Not often, anyway; when I do, not well. Yet, suddenly I found myself utterly and totally compelled to be a dime-a-dozen backstabbing scumbag. And it was a BLAST. You can rest assured I would NEVER have gotten that weapon on my own, as a pyro/medic/heavy whore. Now, spy is one of my favorite things to do.

Why, if this keeps up, you might even see me playing - *shudder* - SNIPER.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Myrmidon wrote:

join us myrmidon... joooiinnnn us

I got my first unlock today. The big pistol for the Spy. I'll probably never use it.
  • GnomeWizarddGnomeWizardd Member 4 Life Akron, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I Unlocked ( or picked up ) 3 today, The only one I really want is the new bone saw for medic other than that I think GIVING them out sucks for people who try and earn them
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Myrmidon wrote:
    And so he foretold... and low and behold, he liked sniper too... :D
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    it was... was... the arrows...

So beautiful... should have sent a poet!
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Myrmidon wrote:

Nice "Contact" quote. ;)
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Myrmidon wrote:

I'm disowning you.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Myrmidon sniping..... sigh.
    edited May 2009
    What is this world coming to?
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    UPSLynx wrote:
    I honestly think people are being to brash and quick to respond on this issue.

Like MiracleMan mentioned, unlocking via the old method becomes discouraging for those that don't play as often. I don't have much time to play TF2 these days. Despite Heavy Weapons Guy being my 3rd main class, I had only managed to unlock the sanvich. I've been unable to play the game enough to do things like fire 50 billion bullets nonstop and to kill 80 people without dying. It was frustrating because I wanted the extra weapons, and despite playing the game on and off for the greater part of 7 months since the update, I had only managed the first unlockable.

I think a lot of people are overreacting to rage on this. The update hasn't even been live for 24 hours, and people are screaming that it's bullcrap that they don't have their unlockables yet.

Relax. Enjoy the game. Get the weapons when they come.

The fact that this is stopping achievement farming is outstanding. Achievements mean nothing in my eyes, especially when people are playing custom maps designed solely for unlocking achievements and weapons. Not to mention people hacking and instant unlocks. People are pissed because they can no longer take advantage of the system and get what they want RIGHT NOW.

This doesn't mean I think the current system is perfect. I think it needs much work (snowWhite joined the server last night and immediately had the sniper's bow). But is it ruining the game? No. Will Valve loose their massive fan base? No. Will they fix it? You bet.

^this

But since I have 2 pairs of the KGB and have no idea why I would need more than one I'm expecting that in a future update I will have this to look forward to :D.

goromk.jpg
  • MezzanineMezzanine Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    I just want to point out that I had been playing on one server for a good hour with no achievements, then I switched to IC and after about 5 minutes got the HUNTSMAN. But I clearly deserved it, seeing as the first time I fired it, I got the achievement "Robin Hood." NICE.
  • UPSWeezerUPSWeezer Behind you... GENTLEMEN Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Item trading and this whole inventory thing is stupid. They should have kept it the same in my opinion.
    edited May 2009
    UPSWeezer wrote:
    Item trading and this whole inventory thing is stupid. They should have kept it the same in my opinion.
    Yup. Did not sign up for an RPG, kthx.
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited May 2009
    I like the new system as mentioned on their website, it is different and interesting.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    DrLiam wrote:
    I like the new system as mentioned on their website, it is different and interesting.

I like that I get new items without having to sacrifice my life to it. AKA NOT AN MMO!
    edited May 2009
    I like that I get new items without having to sacrifice my life to it. AKA NOT AN MMO!
    If that was the goal, they could have just lowered the number of achievements required.
  • mertesnmertesn I am Bobby Miller Yukon, OK Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Lincoln wrote:
    If that was the goal, they could have just lowered the number of achievements required.
    Either this or keep both the achievement and random systems. Last night I saw someone get Scout Milestone 3, which apparently still awards Bonk!... I wonder if a patch will be created adding Spy and Sniper milestones. It sure would go a long way to appease the long-time player base who enjoyed that system.

It's sad really. I love playing the game, but every time I see "PlayerX found <new weapon>" I lose motivation to continue playing.
  • MiracleManSMiracleManS Chambersburg, PA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Lincoln wrote:

But some of the achievements are just illogical/impossible to get without ridiculous amounts of time involved. I mean, 2004 lifetime kills? 50 capture point blocks? 500 damage in one life? Hell that's just the Scout (and that achievement pack was great, I thought).

Imagine the damned medic. Some of those are awful.

And while lowering the amount of achievements would be great, how low? The first milestone is set at 10 right now, do you lower it to 5? What about the rest? They STILL require an incredible amount of time to get for some classes. I mean, 10 achievements (while not farming and playing a normal game) can take a long time unless you're purposely trying to get them, which I think defeats the entire point of a reward system. How many times have we heard guys saying "Just let me alone while I do X" or "I need this and I'll have x!"?

Also don't forget that some of the achievements require the extra weapons, so that depletes our available pool for some classes to get the required number.

I guess my problem is that I shouldn't have to play each class for 10-12 hours to get a chance at the damned weapons. That turns into over 100 hours of gameplay time. I mean, really? 100 hours to even get a chance to try out the different weapons?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    On the other hand, those that DO play the class for 10-12 hours should get the relevant upgrades.

(I haven't been able to play, so haven't had time to really see this in action, just an observation.)
  • drasnordrasnor Starship Operator Hawthorne, CA Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    At least with the medic pack you could get any of the achievements from the beginning. For example, if I want the Blutslager I need only get 10 out of 37 possible achievements. By contrast, if I want the Force of Nature I'm limited to 10 out of 24 possible achievements because the others are impossible to get without more advanced items. The remaining pool of 24 available achievements includes the three MiracleManS listed among others.

While it's frustrating to get tossed by the Force of Nature or stunned by the Sandman it's even more frustrating to not be able to do it myself. So while you may have the kind of time it takes to farm achievements for 0-day advantage I'm not sorry that Valve cares about casual gamers like myself and cramps your 1337 style.

-drasnor :fold:
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Lincoln wrote:

They did lower how many achievements it takes to get the weapons. And everyone is crying about how long it takes to unlock this shit. For one, its suppose to be difficult to do or else everyone could just get them without any skill in the class. And, it isn't that hard to get most of them. Since they lowered the number of achievements to unlock items getting all of the easy ones is enough to get most of the weapons.
    edited May 2009
    The real tragedy here isn't the new unlockable system it's that there isn't a sapper alternative.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Yeah, a sapper alt that turned the weapon on its own team would've been awesome!
  • MezzanineMezzanine Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    At first I was super on board with the whole anti-achievement farming thing.

Then I noticed people were in servers called "achievement_idle." You can just SIT in a server and be idle and HOPE to find weapons. People will think of ANYTHING.

In happier news, I figured out how to use two sets of the KGB at once. You have to eat two sandviches at once, and then you grow another set of arms. It's epic and looks just like that picture Canti posted. I promise you.