BFG OC 280GTX folding

FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
edited May 2009 in Folding@Home
Recently picked up a BFG 280GTX OC version from the Egg. Was looking forward to folding for the first time with a GPU (never got it working right on my 8800 GTXs.) However I'm having major issues, IE it just doesn't work.

The unit downloads and what not, begins to fold but then the machine's overall performance goes to complete garbage. It almost feels like the core priority is set on high. Stuff still works, but is ridiculously slow. I don't have any experience with GPU folds to fall back on, so if anyone has had this problem or heard of this problem, let me know.

Additional information:
Problem persists with just GPU folding running, as well as 1xGPU and 1xStandard client.

System specs:
Antec 1200
Core 2 Duo E6600 @ 3.2 - Water cooled FSB 362 or something like that
Idle - 30c Load - 41c (80f ambient...stupid alabama summer)
Asus p5b deluxe P965
2GB Kingston HyperX 1066
BFG 280GTX OC version
Rosewill 650watt PSU
Voltages as reported by PCProbe:
1.34V Vcore
3.3V stable
5.04V stable
12.3V stable

~FA

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    What driver version because it sounds like you are using an older set which causes major system bog. I am using 182.06 on my main rig, generally anything after 180 does not impact most normal functions.

When you say overall performance takes a hit is it everything or whenever you pull up new windows or switch it seems to stutter or pause? Wait until it affects your performance and then pause GPU2 and see if that fixes the issues.
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    It's gotta be your drivers. The rig I'm using to write this is Folding right now with 2 X 9800GX2 and a Q6600 - that's 4 X GPU clients and 2 X CPU SMP clients. There can be problems sometimes with some movie files at high resolution, but other than that, I rarely pause or turn off the Folding clients.

I'm running 182.06 also.
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited May 2009
    @_K_ - Performance degrades to the feel of a 486 running XP just a few seconds after I launch the GPU client and it begins computing. Every single thing I do is slowed down. I've even had the mouse lockup / BSOD.

My drivers are the latest: 185.85 WHQLs from May 6th.

I'll gladly revert back to an older driver if doing so will fix my problem. I guess I'll give that a shot. I'll try the 182.06s and report back (at work right now). Thanks for the help.

~FA
    edited May 2009
    Well downgrading to 182.06s seems to have fixed the problem, thanks Leo.

One other thing though, I remember back when GPU folding was first introduced, on dual cores you had to leave 1 core available to feed the GPU. So on a dual core you could run 1 GPU and 1 standard client. Only thing is, I'm running a standard client and a GPU client but my processor is only at 50%. Has something changed? Core_11 stays at 0%, Core_78 is pegged at 50%.

GPU client seems to be working.

[13:06:57] Project: 5756 (Run 9, Clone 296, Gen 296)
    [13:06:57]
    [13:06:57] Entering M.D.
    [13:07:03] Will resume from checkpoint file
    [13:07:03] Working on Protein
    [13:07:05] Client config found, loading data.
    [13:07:05] Starting GUI Server
    [13:07:06] Resuming from checkpoint
    [13:07:06] Verified work/wudata_01.log
    [13:07:06] Verified work/wudata_01.edr
    [13:07:06] Verified work/wudata_01.xtc
    [13:07:06] Completed 1%
    [13:08:21] Completed 2%
    [13:09:36] Completed 3%
    [13:10:54] Completed 4%

~FA
    edited May 2009
    yup something has changed.....the love in my heart. Once the driver sets got up to 180, there or 179ish, a new cuda set came out with the drivers that allowed little to no CPU usage. Its simply an evolutionary iteration.
    edited May 2009
    Wow...this is just rediculous...8500 PPD on this old Core 2 Duo??? My god!

So this begs the question. What's the current best "stomp monster" style points per cost setup?

Can I literally go out and buy the cheapest old 965 motherboard, the cheapest Celeron single core, a 2XX GTX and own face for cheap? 8000+ PPD for under $400 or less?

Next step is probably going to be watercooling my graphics card, and or getting a second 280. Probably make a whole new loop just for the GPUs (never liked the idea of chaining the CPU, NB and GPU all into one loop).

~FA
    edited May 2009
    You can use almost whatever you want for a board and proc because GPU folding for NVidia does not require CPU and the same performance is produced on a core no matter the number of lanes in the express socket. My two dedicated folders are going to be running cheap mobos with a semi decent proc that I am willing to pay for to pick up the extra points on a SMP client.

The thing to do to get the most points in space and cost is to find old SLi and crossfire boards, lowest end quads, and GX2 or GTX 2XX cards to load it up......issue is having a PSU to handle everything.
    edited May 2009
    Sounds like a plan. PSUs are a problem because the low end ones just WON'T run dual 2XX cards AND a quad core. That'll be the one part I won't be able to skimp on. It'll probably end up pushing me well over $400 a piece too.

What's the PPD difference between say a GTX 280 and a 9800 GTX+. The 9800 is quite a bit cheaper and also uses less power. Is it worth it to get the better card and better PSU in the long run?

~FA
  • scottscott Medina, Ohio Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Hey FA

I run a bunch of 8800's and they average about 3600-4200 ppd (57xx wu)

I also have a 260gtx core 216 and it runs about 8200 ppd. (57xx wu) and with the Q6600 these 2 clients are about 11000ppd

I have 2 8800's on an old 939 board and an smp client , that box is about 9000 ppd

Scott
    edited May 2009
    http://foldingforum.org/viewtopic.php?f=52&t=3193 This place will become your friend, it did for me. If you are serious about this, plan for 1 year in advance if you want to keep the farm growing or start something that will still have decent ppd over the same period. In other words buy, GTX cards are monster folders for a single card.

Leo is still beefing up his farm with GX2s because they are fairly low consumption, require one express slot for two GPUs, and are getting cheap. I just saw some go for 200 on ebay and I am picking one up in the next town on Monday. I bought my 9600 GSOs because they were cheap and I could fill up an old rig easily but in hind sight I feel like it was a waist for intentions which I see as being fairly big.

Always get the better PSU, or buy a crap one that is 300 watts over what you need.

In another thread you mentioned getting a 9600 GT to add to someone else's rig, both my GSOs are up for sale now in the Trading Post....shameless plug of myself but at least they will fold if you buy them.
    edited May 2009
    Alright so would this be a decent configuration that is somewhat future proof. All Egg prices.

ASRock N7AD-SLI LGA 775 NVIDIA nForce 740i SLI - $60

Intel Celeron 430 1.8GHz conroe single core - $40

Western Digital Caviar 80GB - $35

KINGWIN ABT-730MM 730W ATX / BTX SLI Ready CrossFire - $75 (This is one of the cheaper but still decent PSUs that I could find that can handle 2 GTX280s.) It does have 2x6 pin and 2x6+2 pin PCIe connections.

EVGA 01G-P3-1280-TR GTX 280 - $264.99

All for the low low price of $490.44. A little higher than I would like. I started out with the cheapest quad core but it put me over $600. Better price/performance to stick with a Celeron and grab a second 280 as funds allow. Does this configuration look doable?

There's no RAM for a reason, I have plenty of DDR2 laying around so....

~FA
    edited May 2009
    That looks like the cheapest I can find.
    edited May 2009
    Don't feel like making a whole new thread for this question, but. When overclocking the GPU, what makes the most difference to folding in particular? Core clock, shader clock, memory clock or a combo of all 3?

My load temps with folding are in the 65c range with an ambient of 83f. The card is folds stable up to 83c. I boosted the fan to 100% full time to bring the temps down so I think I have some overclocking headroom to do.

Core clock: 665MHz
    Memory clock: 1200MHz
    Shader clock: 1428MHz

~FA
    edited May 2009
    The shader will do wonders for your PPD.
    Core and mem...not so much.

I leave my mem and core at stock speeds and run the shader as high as I can. And the fan too !

You can test your OC with OCCT.

Scott
    edited May 2009
    I can't seem to find any up to date numbers on how far people are going with their 280s these days. I know my shader clock is already 200MHz or so above nVidia's reference clock (BFG OC card.) I'm turning up the settings now and will report back. :)

~FA
    edited May 2009
    I use EVGA Precision OC utility and it works really well. ( works on all Nvidia cards )
    If it is on an XP based system then it even has a TEST button to check your OC. The test button is greyed out on Vista and 7. :(

BFG usually has thier "OC" cards pretty close to what they will do 24-7 . But there is always a little wiggle room left. :)

Scott
    edited May 2009
    http://forums.guru3d.com/showthread.php?t=264896 check there. If you can figure out where your dividers on everything is so you don't spend half a day inching something up when it doesn't affect any clocks.
    edited May 2009
    So far I'm at:

Core: 708
    Shader: 1520
    Memory: 1200 (stock)

So far reduced frame times by 9 seconds per frame.

Don't want to push my luck since I don't want to EUE my 89% completed unit.

@_K_ What do you mean by dividers and it not affecting clocks?

~FA

P.S. Just changed over to an 1888 point value P5905 unit, and for some reason my GPU temps have gone down from 66c to 48-52c. Are some units "hotter" than others? I remember reading something on the folding help forum that suggested that, but are the differences that radical?
    edited May 2009
    In all video cards they still you use dividers so clock settings only move in blocks ei- 650MHz then to 684MHz. No matter where else you put the setting between 650 and 684 it will be 650MHz. Since your core is set to 708 it might actually be 691MHz.

Yes the newer projects that use new core are cooler running because of the math used. It sends spurts of data to the GPU and allows it to become more efficient, consume power in spikes and thus run several degrees cooler. They are still using old WUs because, I believe, they are still testing the new core and WUs to make sure everything works well enough for lab reports.
    edited May 2009
    I see, good info to know. Thanks all!

~FA