First week of folding, check!

ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
edited June 2009 in Folding@Home
After a week of making my PC sweat, I have a score of almost 12k. This looked OK, but I see all kinds of crazy numbers posted by team 93. Is this result about what it should be, or should I be making some tweaks?

Comments

• DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited May 2009
    12k is very respectable for a first week... More than what I did at first. (1000)
  • ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
    edited May 2009
    Thanks, Dr. I guess when it comes to numbers, the ladder just looks too big to climb. But that's what I get for come to the game so late.

Apparently, during my installation I made a mistake. I have to manually start each smp which isn't a problem right now, but if installed on a remote PC, would become an issue. Would you know how to fix this?
  • DogDragonDogDragon Jacksonville, Fl Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Mine and SM31 both were less the first week, But you can see where we are.
    Just let it fold and you will be surprise where you'll end up.:)
    But with what you are folding it will be up;) just stick around and see:)
    Thanks for being with 93:)
  • FoldingAddictFoldingAddict Montgomery, AL
    edited May 2009
    ledbetter wrote:
    Thanks, Dr. I guess when it comes to numbers, the ladder just looks too big to climb. But that's what I get for come to the game so late.

Apparently, during my installation I made a mistake. I have to manually start each smp which isn't a problem right now, but if installed on a remote PC, would become an issue. Would you know how to fix this?

Install the consoles as a service, no need to manually launch them after you do that and a reboot. Just delete your 2 config files and reset your F@H settings. When asked to change advanced options enter yes, and a few questions later it will ask you to install as a service, just say yes again.

~FA
    edited May 2009
    Worked like a charm. Thanks FA!! :thumbup
    edited May 2009
    No problem. I may be behind the times, but some things still remain the same thank God.

~FA
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Congratulations, ledbetter.
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    led,
    Time is your friend. I have over 2 million points and started back when 3.3 points was a big unit (remember the 0.9 units?).
    Hang in there.
    edited May 2009
    I remember one time they released a 2 point unit that was supposed to be worth only 0.9, boy did we have fun with those. :D Pre Gromacs.

~FA
    edited May 2009
    This could develop into an expensive hobby, I think. I don't want to see what the electric bill is going to be this month.
    edited June 2009
    I know what you mean. I'm lucky enough to be moving to Delaware in July, there my electric bill will be paid by the US government. ;) Up to $300 a month though. I'm gonna have to do the math when I get there and see just how many rigs I can run and still stay under the $300 limit. Free folding is my kind of folding.

~FA
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    edcentric wrote:
    Time is your friend
    Yes, they scale points up over time to reward current participation over past participation. It's quite a nice scheme, really.
    edited June 2009
    Does anyone have a trick for coming up with an accurate ppd count? Is anyone at IC crunch numbers for all to see, or is there an option in my "Folding" folders I'm not seeing?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    EOC forums maintains one of the most comprehensive databases of folding.

Here is the all teams list: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_list.php?s=

Here is the all users list: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/individual_list.php?s=

Here is the whole Icrontic team list: http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_list.php?s=&t=93

I believe this is you :)http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/user_summary.php?s=&u=453261
    edited June 2009
    Thanks, Ryder! That's more help than I probably deserve, but I will put it to good use.

You have doubled your cool points! :cool:
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Only doubled? Oh that is so disheartening.. I usually like to at least quadruple them every time I post.

:eek::p;D:wtf:
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Extremely small initial values.
    edited June 2009
    edited June 2009
    You can also download FAH Monitor. Add your clients into the software and it will show you your current PPD in real time. Since different units yield different PPD, I find it useful to be able to see PPD per machine. Also helps with optimizing.

~FA
    edited June 2009
    It seems to be working, although I would have expected consistent numbers throughout the day. Mine seem to be all over the map. At any rate, thanks for the info FA.
    edited June 2009
    By all over the map do you mean your overall PPD number from FAHMON? If so that's pretty normal. FAHMON tracks your PPD based on your last 3% completed from the work unit. If you use your computer at all, even browsing, those numbers are going to swing all over the place both up and down.

~FA
    edited June 2009
    I've had some issues as of late. My desktop was getting so hot I noticed some heavy artifacts. So I opened my tower and put it on the floor, away from the enclosed area it usually sits. It hasn't crapped the bed yet, but after 3 days my GPU still hits almost 80 C! (according to RivaTuner) :wtf:

I've read that the 8800's are notorious for running hot, so did this problem trickle down to the 8600's? (BTW, I realize initially that I'm handicapped by using a Dell, but you work with what you've got.)
  • edcentricedcentric near Milwaukee, Wisconsin Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Add more fans.
    I am lucky, my folders don't get used for anything else so they sit in the basement with the sides off of the cases.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Graphics cards routinely run up into the 90s; it's rarely an issue. If you're concerned, check out an aftermarket cooler, more fans, or even just replacing the thermal paste between the stock heatsink and the chips.
    edited June 2009
    Graphics cards routinely run up into the 90s; it's rarely an issue.
    It can be an issue if running the GPU Folding client. Some of the 57XX series projects will crash on a couple of my GPUs if the GPU core temperatures top 80C, while other GPUs will do just fine with same temps, working on the same projects.
  • MidnightFlairMidnightFlair Washington
    edited June 2009
    What would be faster at folding my 1GB HD4870 and my 512MB HD4850 Crossfired "yes it works" or my Core i7 920 @3.5GHz?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    Technically the graphics cards will almost always produce more than the CPU clients, but the glorious part is that you can fold on both at the same time! GPU clients and CPU clients can run on the same system.
    edited June 2009
    Thank you. I ran the CPU client and the GPU client right after posting. should have tested it before posting.
    edited June 2009
    Think it go's off of total pints. In the first week i got 13116 points and did 30 WU. Not so sure how grate that is, its only one Computer.
    edited June 2009
    total pints
    Make mine a stout, please! :beer:

On a serious note, glad to hear about your success.