HELP! Asus A7N8X-LA bios needed

If anyone can find this bios and the flash util for it I would greately appreciate it, right now Im stuck with a stock HP bios that is totally locked up and I cant do anything with this computer. Anything I want to do with it is impossible cuz my hands are tied due to the bios having just about everything hidden from the bios menu :banghead: If anyone can help or maybe just maybe someone knows of a 'backdoor' to the normal bios menu that gives you clock freq and stepping etc.... I will bow to you as a GOD :respect: Thanks anyone if you can help me.

oh tidbit the A7N8X-LA is considered basically a A7N8X-VM but with firewire support as far as Ive seen the whole board is identical in chipsets except for the additional firewire interface. dont know if that might be helpful info. I was going to give it a shot and just try reflashing to the A7N8X-VM bios but...... since I dont have an original one for the LA I wont (maybe I can find a bios image grabber and just save this original one???)

Comments

• ketoketo Occupied. Or is it preoccupied? Icrontian
    edited November 2003
    Most bios flash utilities ask if you want to save the current bios before flashing the new one. Not sure about this one, the path you're on of finding an original first is prolly the smart play.
  • edited November 2003
    You might want to try posting this over at nForcerHQ's Asus forum; they have a lot of folks posting there that specialize in the A7N8X boards. This is the link to the Asus forum there.
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited November 2003
    You could go to www.badflash.com and have them send you a ROM flashed with an A7N8X-VM BIOS; you may also try calling/e-mailing ASUS and telling them that a BIOS flash for your A7N8X-VM failed and you'd like them to send you a new chip.
  • SimGuySimGuy Ottawa, Canada
    edited November 2003
    Search "A7N8X-LA" at www.hp.com

Asus A7N8X-LA BIOS for an HP Pavillion 735N System
    BIOS Revision 3.14, dated Sept 26, 2003.

BIOS Update application occurs in Windows (scarry, eh?) and will then restart the system.

Remember... if it screws up... it's not my fault :D
  • edited November 2003
    Uh, SimGuy, I think he wants to flash something other than the hp bios and so have access to stuff like mem timings and "gasp" maybe overclock.:eek2::crazy:
  • edited November 2003
    you got it! I need the BIOS originally from asus (which they refused to supply me) without all the HP lockouts that HP put on the bios menu's. and you got it right too I want to overclock. (technically its not even overclocking) the Athalon XP 2800 (2.08gzhz) is known to be able to run at 2.20ghz and that is according to the processor info itself (im guessing HP has reduced it to make it more stable and cooler? dunno but I know the processor can run that fast cuz its telling me it can also since there is absolutely no jumper settings on the board I cant even put in a new processor like a 3000+ that I can tell and the A7N8X-VM is NOT compatible at all with the LA. how do I know cuz my computer is now dead and wont even boot and is in the middle of getting shipped back to HP to be repaired (thank god for idiot techs support in India (yes india!) who believe anything you tell them and are doing a warranty repair. So unless I can find that specific bios for it I guess Im stuck untill I buy a new non-HP MB.
  • edited July 2004
    I was just trying to find the same info as you. Too bad coudnt get more info, but i have to reply to this....

how do you know it was tech support from India? And you are calling Indian tech's stupid? Wow have you ever called someone over here in the US itself? I called bellsouth as my connection went down and they blame it on the security system in my apartment...thats how stupid the american tech support people are, no wonder jobs are getting outsourced to India as labor is cheap and help is much better. I am Indian myself living in Atlanta, I know how this stuff works...so dont flame like an ignorant fool.

Sorry to go off topic, but I had to get this off my chest... :mean::rant:
  • GHoosdumGHoosdum Icrontian
    edited July 2004
    No, Indian tech support guys are not idiots, but HP outsourced their tech support to India, so we do know the guy on the other end was Indian. Those guys have to go by the screen prompts in their knowledge base just like every other tech support department. That's why I had to go through 3 phone calls just to get warranty service done on my Compaq notebook, and they ALWAYS blame the other company.

I told the guy that no PCMCIA card by any manufacturer would work in my notebook, and he told me to call the PCMCIA card manufacturer. I said 'which one'? And he said 'pick one.' I had to call Linksys, just because Compaq/HP tech support would NOT let me get warranty service until I called tech support for a PCMCIA card first, and then I called HP back and got a different tech support guy, told him everything, and finally got my warranty service. Turns out I was right, and the PCMCIA slot had gone bad, but the first guy refused to admit it, because his database told him it had to be an incompatible card.
  • edited October 2004
    Sycholic man i have the same motherboard you do and i want to overclock my stuff also... thank god im not the only one that wants a new BIOS... i cant overclock ANYTHING (exept my graphics card) on this HP...

AMD Athlon XP 3000+
    1024mb PC2700
    256mb Geforce FX 5700 @ 500MHz core and 606MHz memory.
    this f**king locked up motherboard BIOS....lol
    and so on...

we people with the locked BIOS need HELP!!!!
  • Geeky1Geeky1 University of the Pacific (Stockton, CA, USA)
    edited October 2004
    There's quite an easy solution to this, you know. Buy a halfway decent motherboard. :p
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited October 2004
    Contact Tmod, he can sell you a bios chip pre-programmed with any bios version you want. Then you can replace the original chip with Tmod's and give it a try without any risk and at the same time have a backup chip just in case.

Good luck!
  • edited October 2004
    he has nothing to mod my motherboard.....the kamet2 VIA made by ASUS
  • EQuitoEQuito SoCal, USA
    edited October 2004
    he has nothing to mod my motherboard.....the kamet2 VIA made by ASUS
    :scratch::scratch::scratch:
  • GrayFoxGrayFox /dev/urandom Member
    edited October 2004
    I would just try to flash the asus A7N8X-X bios. If something goes wrong just send it back to the manufactuer. :rolleyes:
  • edited October 2004
    lol... i love my HP the way it is.... so n/m i guese
  • edited December 2004
    adroit wrote:
    I was just trying to find the same info as you. Too bad coudnt get more info, but i have to reply to this....

how do you know it was tech support from India? And you are calling Indian tech's stupid? Wow have you ever called someone over here in the US itself? I called bellsouth as my connection went down and they blame it on the security system in my apartment...thats how stupid the american tech support people are, no wonder jobs are getting outsourced to India as labor is cheap and help is much better. I am Indian myself living in Atlanta, I know how this stuff works...so dont flame like an ignorant fool.

Sorry to go off topic, but I had to get this off my chest... :mean::rant:

Reason I said they are idiots is cuz because they are. They do nothing but follow a stupid flow chart and have no EXPERIENCE in hardware nor software debugging. Perfect eg. your HD is failing its SMART check and its only 9 months old and under warranty, its whining like a baby with a dirty diaper, and it takes them 2 hours on the phone to explain to them what is the problem and that you need a HD shipped to you to be R&R'd. That is a perfect and REAL example of pathetic tech support. BTW if they could speak the language (not all but probally about 50% in calls Ive made so far) fluently it would help alot more. 4 times I had to tell them to transfer me to someone else, and btw I work with East Indians at a pharamcutical plant, and I can understand them fine. HP is just a bunch of idiots and only reason they shipped the tech support over there is cuz they are using voice over IP and its not costing them really squat. Im guessing no-one so far has been able to find out how to unlock this bios?
  • edited December 2004
    Getting somewhere, I found many with the same problem as myself ;D

I have a Athlon 3000+ 2.17 Ghz 333FSB and in device mngr I now have a 2200+ 1.17Ghz........ ;D
    Been on the phone with Compaq, Hp etc and they are all idiots as I know more than them, or should i refrase that as they had me stripping my machine whilst paying for the calls and problem not sorted.
    I am looking for a BIOS update as I think :eek: thats what I need to solve my problem.
    I recently raided(0) my pc with 2 120 Gig hard drives, proud of myself :thumbsup: , to obtain a better system for video editing only to downgrade to 2200+ :scratch:

HELP
  • edited December 2004
    hmmm interesting. dunno what that could be what does windows report the processor running at? also I personally never seen them but I thought anything over 2800+ for the AMD athlon xp are all 400mhz fsb. this is one reason why I havent replaced my processor with a 3200+ or something above the 2800+. Can they keep that speed with a 333 FSB? but I dont think your bios should be the cause of the processor speed issue it could very well be the processor itself took a crap on you. run some hardware diags and find out what the processor is doing, whats it 'real' speed, FSB speed, clock multiplier, etc....
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited December 2004
    not anything over 2800+ are 400 FSB, they are at one time also made with 333 FSB. and i do think it's the BIOs affecting sir-clarence's CPU speed.

sir-clarence go into your bios, and look for a option title load optimized default or something close and chose that option and then save and exit bios, that should get your CPU speed back to where it was supposed to be.
  • edited December 2004
    Have loaded default settings in the BIOS but still the same problem :rolleyes:
  • edited December 2004
    yeah but he has a compaq aka HP which give no timing options whatsoever in the bios settings, which is my problem I know my CPU can handle and is rated for 2.19mhz but I cant change it cuz Im locked out from any timing settings in the bios. also can you get a AMD higher then 2800+ and it work in a 333 FSB? if so I wont hesitate to update to a 3200
  • edited December 2004
    sir-clarance, go to your other thread and read the last posts by profdlp and myself. If that doesn't work, we'll try to extract a copy of your bios and see if there's any way we can unhide some of the stuff like fsb speed and memory timings, but I haven't ever really checked into an oem bios before.

Also, this will involve a certain amount of risk of fubarring your bios, so be prepared to be buying a replacement mobo if something screws up.
  • edited December 2004
    Sadly, the -LA is the OEM 'locked' version. I have the Pavilion a220n with this MB.

The best bet would be to drop the $80 and get the -VM/400 version and an extra $20 for a Firewire card and swap the MB out if you want to upgrade CPUs, OC, etc.
  • tratra
    edited July 2005
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but I have a Presario with
    MB A7N8X-LA and
    CP AMD Athlon XP 2500+.

The nVidia nTune utility allows you to overclock in seconds.

Here's the link:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility.html

Does this help anyone ?
  • edited July 2005
    tra wrote:
    Maybe I'm missing something here, but I have a Presario with
    MB A7N8X-LA and
    CP AMD Athlon XP 2500+.

The nVidia nTune utility allows you to overclock in seconds.

Here's the link:
    http://www.nvidia.com/object/sysutility.html

Does this help anyone ?

I remember trying the nTune utility when first available; since the IGP-based MB isn't supposed to be able to handle memory above DDR333, my system locked up as soon as I bumped the clock. If you don't use the onboard video, I believe you can OC, but I haven't tried that.
  • tratra
    edited July 2005
    rkhalloran wrote:
    I remember trying the nTune utility when first available; since the IGP-based MB isn't supposed to be able to handle memory above DDR333, my system locked up as soon as I bumped the clock. If you don't use the onboard video, I believe you can OC, but I haven't tried that.

My computer has DDR333, and can go from 1.8Ghz to 2.2 Ghz using nTune, with no apparent strain.
  • tratra
    edited August 2005
    that was before I terminated the MB with what at the time looked like an interesting BIOS update
    3.7 =>3.12 bad idea
    3.12=>3.7 wouldn't work, so I tried
    3.12=>3.21 and he he, now I'm on a P3 at 730mega !

Has anyone successfully replaced an A7N8-LA ? If so, with what ?

All answers appreciated, though experience preferred to recommendations... :D
  • edited August 2005
    Agrr....F*CK! I just updated to 3.12 and now my computer just wont freaking turn on!!! DAMN IT. Anyone else had this problem?
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2005
    Just in case you haven't already:

Unplug the computer.
    Remove the CMOS battery.
    Let the computer sit for a couple minutes.
    Insert the battery again.
    Try to access BIOS.

If that doesn't work, repeat the process, but this time let the computer sit without the battery for an hour or two.

(Sorry, I don't know your experience level.)
  • edited August 2005
    Leonardo wrote:
    Just in case you haven't already:

Unplug the computer.
    Remove the CMOS battery.
    Let the computer sit for a couple minutes.
    Insert the battery again.
    Try to access BIOS.

If that doesn't work, repeat the process, but this time let the computer sit without the battery for an hour or two.

(Sorry, I don't know your experience level.)

Great, thanks, I'll try taht right now. I tried doing it, but taking battery only for few min. Also tried to play with the jumpers next to the battery. As well as memory, video, and power supply swaps. Nothing worked so far :( And HP said it'll cost 250 to fix it