Alright you audiophile, you!

GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
edited February 2010 in The Pub
I love music. I mean I friggin' adore listening to music.

Let's put it this way, if Klaatu walked up to me and said "Hey, Grimnoc, I want to destroy something. You have to make the choice of what my old buddy Gort will eye-beam to death. The choice is between all computers, computing, and computery things in the world...including all other forms of entertainment, or music," well to put it simply I (regardless of how much I love everything else) would easily sacrifice everything else for music.

So, having given this rather long-winded introduction we come to the point of this post.

I have recently restructured my entire musical library (including ID3 tagging everything...booooo with ID3 tags) in preperation for my new shiny mp3 player (which is, by the way, a Creative Zen X-Fi 32GB).

However, as most techies know, the music you are listening to is only as good as the speakers you are using to blast them into your ears. Also, as every techie further knows, those earbuds they package with most mp3 players are the equivalent of shoving a computer case speaker in both ears (although the Creative player came with a "premium" pair of earbuds, aka ones not quite as crappy as other crappy buds).

So, after annoying all my friends and close relatives (and now you lucky dames and gentlemen) I have decided to spring for a nice over-the-ear, enclosed set of cans. I'm looking at spending a max of $150 on the headphones, while realizing that I'll most likely have to spend extra on a headphone amp as well.

So, this is where you fit in.
Ready?
Good. Now get going with the recommendations!

*I want to have music blasting through my ear canals with such clarity and force as to set my toe bones a-vibrating.

Comments

• ThraxThrax Professional Shill, Watch Slut, Mumble Hivemind Drone Austin, TX
    edited July 2009
    Sennheiser.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI
    edited July 2009
    Sennheiser HD-280. Done. Thread closed.

If you're willing to at least double that budget, go for Sennheiser HD-650s. I have both, and they're both glorious. Never settle for less than Sennheiser.

Damn, firsted again. At least I listed models!
    edited July 2009
    Also, roll your own CMoy amp or buy one on eBay for like $30. Best pocket amp you can get, and some would argue they're better than ones 10-20 times their price.
    edited July 2009
    I don't have to list models with Sennheiser. Quality scales with price. The pair closest to $150 is the best for that price. WINNAR IS ME.
  • RADARADA Apple Valley, CA
    edited July 2009
    Have a buddy that uses DENON AH-D1001K.

They sound pretty damn good to my n00b ears..

They run about $130-150
    http://www.headphone.com/index.php
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    I don't have to list models with Sennheiser. Quality scales with price. The pair closest to $150 is the best for that price. WINNAR IS ME.

-sigh-

Touche.
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1
    edited July 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Also, roll your own CMoy amp or buy one on eBay for like $30. Best pocket amp you can get, and some would argue they're better than ones 10-20 times their price.

^this

Best purchase I've ever made when it comes to portable audio.
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited July 2009
    Have any of you guys had experience with Grado headphones? I was looking at the SR125's.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA
    edited July 2009
    If it's audio clarity, I'd also back sennheiser. Professionally they're unbeatable. As I'm sure CB can also attest, Sennheiser cans are used almost exclusively at my TV studio for all headsets (minus our wireless sets for the studio floor).
    edited July 2009
    Grimnoc wrote:
    Have any of you guys had experience with Grado headphones? I was looking at the SR125's.

Sennheiser.

Stop it. Sennheiser.
    edited July 2009
    S-e-n-n-h-e-i-s-e-r.
    edited July 2009
    Okay, thanks guys. :)

Here's the thing though, I know Sennheiser is a fantastic company. But....(I know, I know), I do want to at least take a gander at the other options. Call me paranoid. To be honest I really wish I could test a variety of headphones using a "control group" of music, but unfortunately I don't have that luxury. Believe me when I say though that Sennheiser from the very beginning has been very high on my list.

But seriously, thank you for the recommendations.
  • edited July 2009
    Grimnoc wrote:
    Believe me when I say though that Sennheiser from the very beginning has been very high on my list.

Until you found out it was popular...then you just had to be different didn't you ;)
    edited July 2009
    Yes. It's also why I am so slow to getting on the DoTA train.
    edited July 2009
    Trust me. I've made the comparisons. I have the control group. You will not find better headphones at any price level than Sennheisers, particularly the HD-280s. I'm one of maybe three audiophiles on here, and I will not steer you wrong.
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO
    edited July 2009
    The choice is between all computers, computing, and computery things in the world...including all other forms of entertainment, or music
    The way that reads sounds like music is included in the "all other forms of entertainment" but English is not why we're here. If you're into a dominating bass Denon 1000 is a good choice and is within your price range. It doesn't totally block outside noise but it blocks a good majority of it. That's really the only downside I've noticed with mine.
    edited July 2009
    Nifty, I like bass, but not DOMINATION style. Most of the music I enjoy listening to is not too bass heavy, and by artificially pumping it up it would most likely subtract a bit from the overall mix. I have heard Denon is a pretty solid company to go with though.

Yes, I did realize my phrasing was pretty clunky there, sorry. :(
    edited July 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    I'm one of maybe three audiophiles on here, and I will not steer you wrong.

UH OH, crap just got REAL. Must.... avoid... Audiophile E-Peen ..! ;D
    edited July 2009
    Nice, thanks Snarkasm. I'll take a close look at the HD280's.
  • airbornflghtairbornflght Houston, TX
    edited July 2009
    I will say I love sennheiser cans, but at the same time I think you need to go and audition what you are going to listen to. As headphones and speakers are something I like to think of as an investment, a long term purchase.

Grado's and Sennheiser are both good in their own light. Sennheisers are pretty neutral sounding, which is good for recording and absolute audiophiles. But some people find they actually prefer a more colored sound. And the Grados are very bright and in your face. If you know what klipsch speakers sound like you will know what I am speaking of.

I don't really do headphones, but I own both a set of energy and klipsch speakers. At first I hated the energies because I was used to the klipsch's in your face sound, and the energies are about the polar opposite of klipsch. But now I prefer the energy speakers. They are much more mellow compared to the klipsch, but in reality are very neutral and detailed.

Again, I would like to reiterate that you need to go and listen to some headphones before you purchase. You may find you prefer some $80 headphones over a $150 pair. Get what sounds good to you, not what sounds good when you are bragging to your friends what they are and how much they cost. Your satisfaction is what matters. It's not a pissing contest.

Also make sure whatever you get can be driven from your zune. Some headphones in this price range are quite power hungry.
  • edited July 2009
    Sennheiser++

I have the HD 650s for studio / reference use, and the HD 570s for general use.
    edited July 2009
    Mondi, exactly how in love are you with the 650s?

I think I would kill the man that tried to take them from me.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff
    edited July 2009
    Dunno if any mentioned Sennheiser, but they're awesome.
  • edited July 2009
    Man... I really miss my Sennheisers... I had a pair for a couple years in college til they developed a short in the wire that caused one side to cut out intermittently. That was only like a 50 dollar pair too. Now that I have a decent job I think I might have to invest in some better Sennheisers.
  • leishi85leishi85 Grand Rapids, MI
    edited July 2009
    oh man, another vote for sennheiser, have had my hd590 for about 5 years now, and i still use them daily, and they sound every bit as good as they always been.
    edited July 2009
    I've been reading reviews for the various versions of Sennheiser headphones you guys have recommended all morning (read: at work). I'm looking at the HD280's and the 555's.

The nice thing though is that there is a Grado dealer close to where I live so I hopefully would be able to actually give some of those a test run.

*I'm also taking a look at the Koss Pro4AA Titanium.
    edited July 2009
    BUY BOSE
    edited July 2009
    Get out of here with your crummy bose, UPSWeeaboo!
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan
    edited July 2009
    In your price range you are working with you wont be getting "music blasting through my ear canals with such clarity and force as to set my toe bones a-vibrating.". With that said, couple a mid range set of Sennheiser or Denon headphones with a decent portible amp and you will be sitting pretty good.
    I'd recomend you burning a cd with some of your favorite music and heading to a retailer that carriers what you're looking for and test them out hooked up to a decent amp so you can get a feel for what they really sound like.
    edited July 2009
    Yep, I already have some music picked out and I think I'm going to head out to a couple retailers this weekend (I have friday off for the 4th of July, !).

I'll let you guys know how it goes.