Inspire me. A photo-a-day challenge - IDEAS

primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' BoopinDetroit, MI Icrontian
edited November 2011 in Lifestyle
<iframe src="http://www.google.com/calendar/embed?mode=AGENDA&amp;height=600&amp;wkst=1&amp;bgcolor=#ffffcc&amp;src=c20ufco07puohsn3ceajb5q3t4@group.calendar.google.com&amp;color=#1B887A&amp;ctz=America/New_York&quot; style=" border:solid 1px #777 " width="600" height="600" frameborder="0" scrolling="no"></iframe>

Snark and I had an idea tonight.

In this thread, post an idea for a photo, one a day. Each day, we'll pick tomorrow's subject.

Anybody who wants to participate can then take photos of said subject, and post their best shot in this thread's companion.

The idea is not to compete to see who has the best photo (it's all subjective anyway), the idea is to inspire this community's photographers to go out and practice, shoot something, push their boundaries, and experiment.

Sometimes all we need is a little inspiration. :vimp:

Comments

• TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Theme suggestion for 7/14 - purple
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    7/15 - Trees
  • GnomeQueenGnomeQueen The Lulz Queen Mountain Dew Mouth Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    7/16 Computer parts
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    7/17 water!
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    7/18 slurpies/Frozen Drinks
  • DrLiamDrLiam British Columbia
    edited July 2009
    Will you post the link here to the companion thread? What resolution are we looking at max?

I think I'd like to get in on this. :) Maybe I can invite some of my more photographically inclined friends as well.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Posted!

Resolution shouldn't matter; whatever works for you. I'd suggest using a photo hosting site for the actual photo (I'll be using Flickr, for example) and just posting a smaller version in the thread, no more than, say 900px wide, so we don't end up with a weird ugly thread.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    so wait, are we suggesting for a specific day, or rather making a pool of suggestions, and then the next day's topic is being pulled from said pool?

Either way, I suggest 7/22 something mechanical.

*Edited for date
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    also post anything you do in post-processing (crop/contrast/color/etc) along with your photos. maybe post what lens/camera/etc you shoot with as well.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Just check the exif, nub. :p

7/19 - musical instruments - any kind. Anything you can "play music" on.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT
    pulls out the bongotits
    Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    pulls out the bongotits
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Just check the exif, nub. :p

7/19 - musical instruments - any kind. Anything you can "play music" on.

It'd be great if Keebler didn't post pictures of the skin flute.

thx.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I think a themed week is better than a themed day. You might not, for whatever reason, be able to get out to take a picture. Giving someone a week to come up with their best shot is better. And let's think more abstract for the themes. The more open for interpretation the better the shots.
    edited July 2009
    You're not required to participate in every day's event, and I'm a fan of the picture-a-day because it's going to require you to think on your feet more. If you can whip up a good picture on a day's notice, you can whip up a good picture on a week's notice.

Just my thoughts. Jackie's considering doing it once weekly, since she just found an old film camera of her mom's that she'll be playing with. Nobody has to enter every day.

Also, I'm making it a point to try to take whatever the theme is and abstract it as much as possible, but we have requested pretty generic suggestions. It's hard to strike a balance between not too specific, but not so generic that the theme is "wildlife" or something too broad.
  • KwitkoKwitko Sheriff of Banning (Retired) By the thing near the stuff Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Regardless how you do it- daily or weekly- I'm in.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I would love to participate. Photography was once a great hobby of mine, and while I have no advanced equipment, I like to think I can still compose a nice shot with my $300 camera. :)

my idea for theme: timepiece 7/22

Doing this daily, however, will quickly run out of themes, methinks.
    edited July 2009
    CB wrote:
    Doing this daily, however, will quickly run out of themes, methinks.

That's the other reason I'd go with weekly.

Also, CB, the photographer makes the shot, not the camera. You'd be surprised how many amazing photos I've seen that were taken with point-and-shoot cameras and even iPhones.
    edited July 2009
    CB, can you mark your theme with a date?

We're going to work on getting a calendar created, since it'll become tiresome to come back to subsequent pages to see whatever today's theme is.

We can also reuse themes, or specify or broaden old ones; part of the fun of abstracting everything is that you can get 18 different images out of one theme. It can certainly be revisited if we see that need or are running out of options, though. Pulling from such a large group of Icrontians, I wouldn't be surprised if we could come up with several years' worth of themes.
  • CBCB Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒ Der Millionendorf- Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Edited.... Sorry, I took the OP description to mean that we were posting ideas, and you were deciding which day to put them on (so that we can't take the photos days in advance (even just seeing them here, makes me start thinking already about what I would do for each one))
    edited July 2009
    That was a thought, but this is a nice compromise between those who wish it was once a week and those that see it fine at once a day. Now you can plan for several days in advance, but you can plan for multiple, or just your one at the end of the week or what have you.

You're somewhat at the mercy of the submitters as to how far into the future you can look, of course, but so it goes.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I don't think we'll ever run out of themes.

Snark, a calendar is a brilliant idea.
  • ReyReyReyRey Greenville, SC
    edited July 2009
    I'm game! Can't wait to see what everyone comes up with!
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Timepieces shoot is going to be AWESOME.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    7/23 - Living things
    edited July 2009
    Gate, we're missing an entry for the 21st - mind if we move it up there?
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I guess I'll try and do as many as I can.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    damn, i need to get a camera.
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited July 2009
    7/24 - Paper

7/25 - Exercise

I love this idea and this is totally the community I'm excited to do a photo-a-day with. Let's rock this!
  • ReyReyReyRey Greenville, SC
    edited July 2009
    I was trying to think of a purple pic for tomorrow and I am drinking red wine...my husband replied with " keep drinking that wine and I'll take a picture of your teeth". LOL! Thought I'd share ;o)
  • CantiCanti =/= smalltime http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=y9K18CGEeiI&feature=related Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    A reason to actually use my crappy little digital camera? I'm in as soon as I have a cable to connect it to my PC. (It's insanely hard to find one that fits my camera.)