App for renaming mp3s

RichDRichD Essex, UK
edited July 2009 in Science & Tech
Morning all,

Anyone know of an app that can rename audio file based on a combination of ID tag info?

IE rename all files by song title then artist?

Thank you

Comments

• BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    I would suggest ID3-TagIt but their download link seems to be down. Most ID3 tag editors can edit the file name by using the tags. You could try this one.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited June 2009
    There's actually another thread about this somewhere... Anyway, I recommend The Godfather... it can be a bit hard to find but it's an amazingly powerful audio tagger/renamer/etc.
  • PreacherPreacher Potomac, MD Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I use Tag and Rename and it works well.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited July 2009
    I managed to do it with Hawks sugestion. Many thanks. Unfortunately I have about 250 tracks with no ID Tag info!!!! those will have to be done manually but it was better that the several thaousand I would have had to do!!!!

Thanks everyone for your suggestions
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    For the ones without ID use MusicBrainz.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    The GodFather also has a utility to look up tags even if they are lacking proper filenames. If it has filenames you can generate tags from it as well.

http://www.free-codecs.com/download/The_GodFather.htm

I even found you a download link this time!
  • JokkeJokke Bergen, Norway Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    With this, will songs show up properly in my mp3-player, and not as unknown artist?
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited July 2009
    Jokke wrote:
    With this, will songs show up properly in my mp3-player, and not as unknown artist?

Should do. Depends on your player but most will read the id-tags. If it doesn't read the tags the you can do what im doing. update the tags and rename the files.
  • liquienceliquience Ann Arbor / Detroit
    edited July 2009
    The free version of MediaMonkey is extremely feature rich and lets you do all kinds of excellent re-tagging/re-naming options (even changing entire directory structures) as well as tagging from web and downloading album art. The pay-for version only adds features if you plan on using MediaMonkey as your one music playing/management solution.

http://www.mediamonkey.com/

MusicBrainz is also pretty slick.
  • RichDRichD Essex, UK
    edited July 2009
    The problem I have isn't relating to the software but the lookup database. The music I listen to is fairly underground house music. As I DJ I tend to get stuff on smaller labels before it gets picked up by the big boys so I am often 6 months or more ahead of the charts. As such most of the tunes aren't in any online DBs.

Shazam is a really cool app that you can use on your mobile to ID tunes and it really works well even for underground music so if it was possible to link to them I would be laughing!
  • DJ_EvergreenDJ_Evergreen MB, Canada Member
    edited July 2009
    I use Flash Renamer. It does the job very well. Not only does it rename based on ID tags but can do a whole lot more.