MSN wont connect to .NET Messenger Service

vertmanvertman Manchester, UK.
edited July 2009 in Science & Tech
Some of you may know I freshly formatted and installed Windows today. Obviously I have installed Windows Live Messenger. My problem is it wont sign in. I type in my details, hit 'Enter' and wait for it to sign in. The people start dancing, or spinning, whatever it's meant to be, and it says 'Signing In' at the top. Then, it goes back to the screen where it asks me for the details. I don't even get an error message. I have tried with various accounts, and my account can connect on web messengers, I have also re-installed MSN several times.

Any tips/suggestions?

Cheers

Comments

• botheredbothered Manchester UK
    edited July 2009
    Come on guys, no help at Icrontic? surely not.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    You could use another IM program like pidgin for example.

Also make sure you've done all the windows updates there are a bunch of .net updates.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I had a similar problem a while back... except I was actually getting an error code when it failed. All solutions I found didn't work. Eventually the problem went away on it's own. In the meantime I just stuck with MirandaIM. I'd suggest using a different piece of software since Microsoft can't release a messenger that works with their own servers. Suggestions:

Trillian
    Pidgin
    MirandaIM
  • vertmanvertman Manchester, UK.
    edited July 2009
    Thanks for the help I've set windows automatic updates thingy to download and let me choose when to install them, that way I should be able to just install .NET related ones. Thanks again I'll download a different messenger until then =]
    edited July 2009
    Why not just go into windows update and then manually download all the .net updates?
    edited July 2009
    I didn't know I could =]

How might I do this?

Thanks
    edited July 2009
    Well if you go into start>all programs and up near the top there is usually a Windows Update option. But other wise you can go into internet explorer and if it's ie7 go into tools then windows update. If it's ie8 you go into safety then windows update.

Then pick the custom option and select all the updates you want.
    edited July 2009
    Ahhh thank you very much :):respect:
    edited July 2009
    Hmm, downloaded the .NET updates I still can't sign in. This is getting frustrating it's worked in the past straight away after installing it. Is there anyway to completely remove every last trace of it from my system to try a complete reinstall of it? Thanks.
    edited July 2009
    I've fixed it thanks to this page:

http://mindofsiderius.blogspot.com/2009/04/windows-live-messenger-sign-in-fails.html

I've posted here incase somebody with the same error stumbles across this thread.

Thanks for the help everyone.