To, or not to netbook...

Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
edited July 2009 in Hardware
Ok, im kinda at a situation of should I get a netbook or a laptop.
The issue im stuck at is I spec'd out a dell netbook (I have a dell credit card and dont see getting anything else or funds otherwise) and after everything was tweaked to my liking (larger batt + warranty) the cost was almost $600

I understand a netbook isnt meant to replace a laptop but I never generally did all that much on my old P4 laptop.
But im kinda debating if I want to limit myself to a netbook, or should I just get a really cheap laptop.

Dell offers a 16gb ssd or a 160gb hdd, I know speeds are nice on the ssd, but compared how much better is battery life with a ssd over hdd. That's the one thing I always hated on my old laptop 2hours of batt then swap or plug in.

I dont generally watch movies on my laptop, though if everything but 1080 content will play fine that is good enough for me. xvid, h.264. im not very familiar with the atom.

Comments

• lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    A netbook is probably going to offer you just about the same performance as a cheap notebook, and the battery life will likely be longer. I have an Asus 1000HE personally (based on an atom N280 with intel GMA950 video, 160GB HD 2GB ram) and I find the performance of the unit to be more than acceptable for its size.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16834220385

When i was looking for a netbook this caught my eye.
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited July 2009
    All well and good, but he's stated already he wants to stick to dell.
    edited July 2009
    Well, he said he is poor and wants to be able to finance. Newegg has a prefered accound where you can get 6 month no interest financing on orders over 500 bucks. I wouldnt advise buying anything on credit you dont have the money for now, but if you must you're better off with no interest.
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Of course if you don't pay it off in those 6 months you get charged all the back interest for the 6 months.
    edited July 2009
    True. Pay it off in 6 months. If you cant, rethink if you really need it now. If you can't a better investment might be a nice suite to get a better job.

I havent read the terms of dells credit line but im sure its similar, and i dont know if they have a no interest period. All i'm saying is other places than dell offer financing so he has more options.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    nah I just really want something so I can be elsewhere than my room when im online. I have no phone, and my laptop is broken and not worth the $ in repairs.
  • Nate_LapTNate_LapT Ferndale MI. Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    my current view is I have nothing portable, so if I go onsite I have to fully rely on their systems, though I havnt had a client in 4 months I should invest in advertising.

I know what happens with buying a dell laptop on credit, I've done it before, buy $1400 worth, pay $2600.

I just have zero portability though currently no true need until I get a damn client.

maybe I should side tract this and ask

How should I advertise for clients so I CAN afford a netbook/food
  • BobbyDigiBobbyDigi ? R U #Hats ! TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Nate_LapT wrote:
    How should I advertise for clients so I CAN afford a netbook/food

I believe that is covered in the "OFFICIAL: Start your own computer business thread"

http://icrontic.com/forum/showthread.php?t=9688

If its for jobs (network testing and such) a laptop is a must. I hate Dell credit so I will say save spare change from jobs (see above) then buy lappy straight up cash.

:rockon:

-Bobby
  • NiGHTSNiGHTS San Diego Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    A bit of an aside, but I checked with Prime to see if he could browse HD streams on Hulu and he could not. Am I to believe there are netbooks that are capable of this?

I've not looked into it much.
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    HP Pavilion dv2.