Movie Thread

Comments

• MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    It's a toss up for me between HBP and PoA.
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Have any of you ever seen The Butcher Boy? It's an awesome Irish movie that's finally become available here in the US. I highly recommend it. It's insane.

<object width="560" height="340"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DmDxULCIpo&hl=en&fs=1&"></param><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/-DmDxULCIpo&hl=en&fs=1&&quot; type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="560" height="340"></embed></object>
  • ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    What... The hell. D:
  • GrimnocGrimnoc Marion, IN
    edited July 2009
    I'm not sure what I just watched, but I'm up for it. :)
  • KoreishKoreish I'm a penguin, deal with it. KCMO Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I didn't see anything that would make that a comedy. Speaking of odd comedies "Burn After Reading" anyone understand that movie?
  • chrisWhitechrisWhite Littleton, CO
    edited July 2009
    Netflix. Move to top of Queue.

Okay so I watched [REC] the other night and I can't recommend it highly enough, the only other Zombie movie in it's class is 28 Days Later and it's sooooo intense. Said this on the IRC but man, these Spanish films are beating the crap out of Hollywood when it comes to horror. Pan's Labyrinth, The Orphanage and now [REC]. The Orphanage is the only movie I've ever watched that scared me shitless.

I guess Quarantine is a Hollywood remake and judging from the trailer it's practically shot-for-shot. I'm going to check it out next and see how it compares.
    edited July 2009
    So I just saw "Howl's Moving Castle" for the first time a few days ago. I'm thinking it's one of my favorite movies by Hayao Miyazaki. It's great, if you haven't seen it and you can still handle the occasional cartoon it's well worth the time.
    edited July 2009
    Koreish wrote:
    I didn't see anything that would make that a comedy. Speaking of odd comedies "Burn After Reading" anyone understand that movie?

It was the movie about 100% nothing.
    edited July 2009
    I'm not really into horror movies but I'll probably go see The Orphan. Although it looks more of a mystery/thriller rather than an actual horror.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited July 2009
    I just recently watched Perfume: The Story of a Murderer, which I found suprisingly entertaining.

Definately not a GREAT movie by any means, but it was pretty good for a film that I had not heard of through advertising. If you like "strange" films, give it a watch, it should not disappoint.
  • ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
    edited July 2009
    For what it's worth, I saw Donnie Darko last night. I felt really moved at the end, but I'm not sure why. Is this a common reaction?
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Many people who watch Donnie Darko have different reactions at the end in my experience. The first time I watched the movie I was kinda tired and not entirely with it (may have been drinking as well) and I didn't really get it. Now that I watch it, I feel pretty sad as well. Basically, in the end, Donnie has to kill himself in a way in order to keep the tangent universe from collapsing and destroying the primary universe. That's pretty moving to sacrifice ones own life to save existence.
  • ledbetterledbetter Chattanooga, TN
    edited July 2009
    I think that's it. As convoluted as the plot was, it had a pretty hard ending that sticks with you. Plus the cast was phenomenal and that never hurts.
    edited July 2009
    I've never seen it but a few of my friends absolutely love it, and a few absolutely hate it. So....one of these days I guess I'm gonna have to get around to seeing it.
    edited July 2009
    Big news on the Grimnoc front this morning; I'm going to rent the Watchmen this weekend. Wooohooo!

Then we can bring that horse back from the grave and beat it a few more times.
  • WinfreyWinfrey waddafuh Missouri Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Grimnoc wrote:
    Then we can bring that Blue Dick back from the grave and beat it a few more times.

fix't
    edited July 2009
    *smacks forehead*

:)
    edited July 2009
    Winfrey wrote:
    Grimnoc wrote:
    Then we can bring that horse back from the grave and beat it a few more times with a big blue dick.
    fix't
    fix't fix'd
    edited July 2009
    This can't possibly go anywhere good.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    ardichoke wrote:
    Winfrey wrote:
    Grimnoc wrote:
    Then we can big blue dick that big blue dick back from the big blue dick and big blue dick it a few more big blue dicks with a big blue dick.
    fix't
    fix't fix'd

There. Do we have that all out of our system now?
    edited July 2009
    Never!

I hate myself a little bit for participating in this. I actually liked the Watchmen movie and it annoys me when people can't get over the big blue dick.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    I watched Pan's Labyrinth last night, and really liked it a lot.
  • FormFactorFormFactor At the core of forgotten
    edited July 2009
    ledbetter wrote:
    For what it's worth, I saw Donnie Darko last night. I felt really moved at the end, but I'm not sure why. Is this a common reaction?

Yea, great film with quite a following. Mix a heartwarming tale of selflessness, some time travel science fiction, and an awesome soundtrack of catchy feel good 80s tunes and you end up with a winner. I have heard it described as Richard Kelly's lucky mistake, as the rest of his films sucked.

I watched it when it first came out on dvd and loved it. More recently I caught the directors cut on blue ray, which included a lot more of the story than the dvd had.

It's definitely worth watching the directors cut version of the film even if you have seen the older version.
    edited July 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    There. Do we have that all out of our system now?

BIG BLUE DICK

I think we do now.;D
    edited July 2009
    I watched Pan's Labyrinth last night, and really liked it a lot.

I was fortunate enough to see it in theaters but I'm glad you got a chance to watch it.

I recommend it to everyone I talk to about movies.
  • Gate28Gate28 Orlando, Florida Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Grimnoc wrote:
    So I just saw "Howl's Moving Castle" for the first time a few days ago. I'm thinking it's one of my favorite movies by Hayao Miyazaki. It's great, if you haven't seen it and you can still handle the occasional cartoon it's well worth the time.

I love Christian Bale, but Howl's was far too girly for me.
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    going to see the hangover tonight. ill report back.
    edited July 2009
    Gate28 wrote:
    I love Christian Bale, but Howl's was far too girly for me.

I used to like Christian Bale but the more movies I saw him in the less and less I ended up liking him. I saw The Soloist recently, I was very impressed by how well they portrayed homeless life. There was a good dynamic between the characters that are successful and how they treat Jamie Fox's character (who is very talented but has severe mental issues.)
    edited July 2009
    I have officially seen The Hangover: I can say with 100% earnestness that I did not laugh, or even smile, once throughout the entire movie. I have never been more disappointed by what is supposed to be a comedy movie.
  • WagsFTWWagsFTW Grand Rapids, MI Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    Thrax, The Hangover is one of the few movies I have laughed out loud in the movie theater to. I loved it, and there were many hilarious moments. Andrew laughed a lot, too. It was a great cast, and was full of so much debauchery. I don't understand you if you didn't find that movie even remotely funny...