CD/DVD drive not showing anywhere

helicon1984helicon1984 Sovici, Bosna i Hercegovina
edited July 2009 in Hardware
Hi everyone. My new comp. arrived yesterday with preinstalled Win7 RC (64bit) but when I go into Computer only my Local Disk C (640GB WD Caviar Black) is showing, not my optical drive (Pioneer DVR-217FBK High Speed Dual Format Labelflash drive with SATA interface). I contacted the guys that assembled the comp and they said that it worked fine when they were installing Win7 so they're not sure what the problem could be. The drive opens and closes just fine and I can put a CD or DVD in there but it simply doesn't autorun as it should.
When I went into my BIOS it showed these two things:
IDE CHANNEL 5 640WD MASTER
IDE CHANNEL 5 PIONEER DVR SLAVE, or something similar and I'm thinking shouldn't these SATA drives be configured as AHCI and could that be the problem? Would maybe another clean install of Win7 solve the problem? Can someone help? Thanks.

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    http://icrontic.com/articles/office-hours-4

This procedure applies to Vista and Windows 7, as well.
  • helicon1984helicon1984 Sovici, Bosna i Hercegovina
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    http://icrontic.com/articles/office-hours-4

This procedure applies to Vista and Windows 7, as well.

It's not showing Upper or Lower filters just this below.
    edited July 2009
    VERY INTERESTING.

In your device manager, remove all the devices under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and reboot. Do not reboot until you've clicked uninstall on each device. If a device removal asks you to reboot, cancel it and move on to the next one.
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    VERY INTERESTING.

In your device manager, remove all the devices under IDE ATA/ATAPI Controllers and reboot. Do not reboot until you've clicked uninstall on each device. If a device removal asks you to reboot, cancel it and move on to the next one.

It removes them all up to that last one ATA Channel 1 which won't uninstall. Here's the pic:
    edited July 2009
    Right click, uninstall the device. If it asks you to reboot, say no. Move on to the next one.

It doesn't matter if it disappears from the list.

Once you've done that for all of those devices, restart.
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Right click, uninstall the device. If it asks you to reboot, say no. Move on to the next one.

It doesn't matter if it disappears from the list.

Once you've done that for all of those devices, restart.

Even the three Standard Dual Channel PCI IDE Controllers?
    edited July 2009
    Everything.
    edited July 2009
    I did it. The first time it just stopped on the Devices listing screen and on the bottom it said Boot from CD/DVD but nothing worked (tried to click enter etc.) so I restarted again, this time changing the boot order to boot from HDD and Windows finally started. All the drivers installed properly again asking me to reboot to complete the process which I haven't done yet. In Computer its still showing this:
    edited July 2009
    Why haven't you rebooted to complete the process?
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Why haven't you rebooted to complete the process?

Sorry. I rebooted and the Computer is still showing the same as above and the regedit pic looks like this:
    edited July 2009
    What about safe mode? Does the ROM drive appear in safe mode?
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    What about safe mode? Does the ROM drive appear in safe mode?

Just tried it. No, it doesn't. How can it open and close with the light on and still not show up anywhere? The guys that installed Win7 say it worked or how would they install it otherwise? :confused:
    edited July 2009
    Your PC detects your DVD-ROM in the BIOS, which means your PC sees it, but Windows does not. This is fairly common, and points to a simple software issue.

The drive opens because it has power.
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Your PC detects your DVD-ROM in the BIOS, which means your PC sees it, but Windows does not. This is fairly common, and points to a simple software issue.

The drive opens because it has power.

Great. So, can I fix it? With your help, of course. ;)
    edited July 2009
    I am brainstorming. :) Give me a bit.
    edited July 2009
    I contacted the guys who assembled my comp. and they're not sure why it's not showing up also. They recommend that I reinstall Win7 64-bit (which I was planning to do anyway) but they're not sure how I can enable AHCI mode in BIOS before the install (they set it to IDE). They recommend I download AHCI drivers and install them during the Win7 install but I'm not sure how that works. I found this and this, how does that relate?
    So Thrax man, have you figured anything out since yesterday? ;)
    edited July 2009
    AHCI should already be enabled. I have no earthly idea why they would turn that off. Windows 7 contains generic AHCI/SATA drivers that are actually quite good. As a result, there's no need to download them or have them during the Windows 7 install.

Do these people actually know what they're doing?

Turn AHCI on, reinstall 7 x64, and I bet you it'll work just fine.
    edited July 2009
    In my mobo manual it looks like this:

- SATA RAID/AHCI Mode () and it says under it:
    Enables or disables RAID for the SATA controllers integrated in the Intel ICH10R South Bridge or configures the SATA controllers to AHCI mode
    Disabled - configures the SATA controll. to PATA mode (default)
    RAID - ....
    AHCI - config. the SATA controll. to AHCI mode etc.

- SATA Port0-3 Native mode (Intel ICH10R South Bridge)
    Specifies the operating mode of the integrated SATA controllers
    Disabled - Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Legacy IDE mode.... Set this option if you want to install operating systems that do not support native mode (default)
    Enabled - Allows the SATA controllers to operate in Native IDE mode....

There's also this under the same BIOS chapter:

Onboard SATA/IDE Device (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip)
    Enables or
    Disables RAID for the SATA controllers integrated in the GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip or configures the SATA controller to AHCI mode

Onboard SATA/IDE Ctrl Mode (GIGABYTE SATA2 Chip)
    IDE
    AHCI
    RAID/IDE

What exactly should I enable/disable?
    After that I should set it to boot from CD/DVD and insert the Win7 CD, set my partitions, format and install, right? And after that I should first install drivers for my motherboard and then everything else?
    edited July 2009
    Set all of those to AHCI, then go about your business with a normal partitions/format/install business. Then install your drivers: You MUST install new video drivers. Don't install anything else if everything works. Install network drivers if you have to.
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    Set all of those to AHCI, then go about your business with a normal partitions/format/install business. Then install your drivers: You MUST install new video drivers. Don't install anything else if everything works. Install network drivers if you have to.

It says on the mobo DVD - chipsets, serial-ata, raid, network and audio drivers (to install these, right?). Also Norton, Adobe Reader, EasyTune etc. (not necessary of course) and to go to AMD/ATI's site and download the latest drivers for my HD 4870.
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    The drive works if you boot using the Win install CD?
    edited July 2009
    RyderOCZ wrote:
    The drive works if you boot using the Win install CD?

Not sure yet. Supposedly (I've been told by the people that installed Win7) yes.
    edited July 2009
    Well, you don't have to carry on with the install, just shut the PC down, put the disc in, make sure it is set to boot from CD first in bios and try.

If it fails... I think you need a new drive ;)
    edited July 2009
    The 'funniest' thing happened. I took RyderOCZ's advice and tried to boot from my Win7 CD and nothing happened. It said BOOT FAILURE - INSERT SYSTEM DISK or something similar. I tried again and the same thing happened. So I restarted, booted from HDD into Windows and a little pop-up shows up saying PIONEER DVR 217 (ATA) etc. drivers installed. Device ready for use. I go into Computer and next to Local Disk there's Devices with removable storage and DVD-RW. I try booting from Win7 install disc again and this time it works. So, what is that about?
    Should I now set everything to AHCI, reinstall Windows etc.?
    edited July 2009
    No, but I wouldn't exactly trust that drive for the long haul.
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited July 2009
    You might check the security of the SATA cable.
    edited July 2009
    Thrax wrote:
    No, but I wouldn't exactly trust that drive for the long haul.

Why not reinstall? Shouldn't SATA drives be set to AHCI anyway?
    edited July 2009
    So, i reinstalled Win7 and before that enabled AHCI in BIOS and everything's showing up now. I'm just wondering about why is Device Manager listing my WD 640GB as Disk drive and my Pioneer DVR as CD-ROM drive and not their manufacturers names? See below.
    edited July 2009
    Did you install the proper chipset drivers for the board?

It may not do that until the controller is identified properly.
    edited July 2009
    No need. Windows 7 has Intel ICH7/8/9/10R drivers baked in. The disk I/O performance is comparable to a full driver set straight from the company.