Want to start folding again, on my new PC....?

TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Folding@Home
I want to start folding again now that I have a better computer. It has been a while.

I have vista 64bit
Should I install the system tray client or the console client only version?

For now I just got the console client only.... unless someone tells me the other version is better.

Also there is no passcode for team93 is there?

EDIT: Also, How can I get the best performance from F@H out of my system?

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther Go here. Download the first one for GPU system tray and the very last item, the console SMP client. Make sure to follow the guide for installing in vista, also you use the drop in binary .exe that is right below the first table.
  • TrumandrummerTrumandrummer Taylor Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    http://folding.stanford.edu/English/DownloadWinOther Go here. Download the first one for GPU system tray and the very last item, the console SMP client. Make sure to follow the guide for installing in vista, also you use the drop in binary .exe that is right below the first table.

Ok thanks :),
    I now got both System tray client and the SMP console running. I followed the instructions for install. Both appear to be working. Is it me or is the console version a lot slower?

Hmmmmm the system tray is at 40% and the console is still at 0% and 0 steps completed.....
    edited August 2009
    If you are running single client sys tray then yes it will be faster because its WUs aren't as large or complex. If you have 4gigs of RAM most people would say run dual SMP clients. No one really runs single clients except on single cores or they specifically need one core left free.

Now if you mean the GPU client, yes that will always be faster because video cards compute their WUs faster than anything else currently due to their GPUs, insanely fast memory, and the overall design of how a video card works. Remember current video cards can do real time rendering of extremely intense video and never drop a frame.
    edited August 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    If you are running single client sys tray then yes it will be faster because its WUs aren't as large or complex. If you have 4gigs of RAM most people would say run dual SMP clients. No one really runs single clients except on single cores or they specifically need one core left free.

Now if you mean the GPU client, yes that will always be faster because video cards compute their WUs faster than anything else currently due to their GPUs, insanely fast memory, and the overall design of how a video card works. Remember current video cards can do real time rendering of extremely intense video and never drop a frame.

Ok. So you think I should set up and run another SMP Client too? I have 9gb of DDR3 ram and I am using like none of it. Do I set it as another MachineID or do I give it the same ID as my other SMP?
    edited August 2009
    you give it another. for each folding client you set up it has to use a different ID number. I use 1-4 for all my CPU client numbers and 5+ for GPU clients across all of my machines just to make sure things don't get mixed up.
    edited August 2009
    Ok cool, I got a second SMP client now.
    Do you know if it takes a while to show up on folding at homes user status?
    I started folding again yesterday (the 7th) on a console client...... and it says that it just updated today (9th), yet it says I still have not been active and my last work unit was in 2008.
    edited August 2009
    Usually it will take at least 6 hours for points to show up in your record after they have been submitted. But I only use these two sites for stats on folding:
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=93
    http://kakaostats.com/tsum.php?t=93

Did you get the GPU client installed?
    edited August 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    Usually it will take at least 6 hours for points to show up in your record after they have been submitted. But I only use these two sites for stats on folding:
    http://folding.extremeoverclocking.com/team_summary.php?s=&t=93
    http://kakaostats.com/tsum.php?t=93

Did you get the GPU client installed?

Cool, thank you. Hopefully it wont take to long to start getting a good score. My score is low. Its been so long since I folded and the old computer was crap.

Yea, I got the GPU system tray client, and two SMP console clients installed (all on different Machine IDs)

I think that I set the GPU client up correctly, it seems to be working fast, and it is detecting my graphics card. :)
    edited August 2009
    I can't wait, if everything is set up correctly you will be in the top10 on the team. If you OC that 920 it will put you right below or at spot 5 for production!
    edited August 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    I can't wait, if everything is set up correctly you will be in the top10 on the team. If you OC that 920 it will put you right below or at spot 5 for production!

Sweet!
    I OC'ed it to just over 3ghz. But I set it back to 2.67 when I am not around my computer to watch the temperatures. It got pretty high a couple of times. I wanna buy a heat sink so that I can OC it higher and not worry about over heating.
    edited August 2009
    _k_ wrote:

I just opened my computer for the first time, and it already has a heatsink. I am not sure how good it is. I looked all over and all I could see that it said was "AVC". I did not know it already had a heatsink. Makes me wonder why it was getting hot so quickly.

Do you think that one you linked me would be a lot better?

EDIT: Never mind that question, the heatsink you linked me looks much much nicer. I am probably gonna get it. I hope it fits. My case is pretty big....

I am getting excited, I am moving faster than I thought. :)
    edited August 2009
    Hmmm,
    My SMP console clients are suddenly acting crazy.
    The keep giving me FILE-I0-ERROR. And it seems as if the never even get a chance to complete a WU. If I restart the computer, and start the SMP's back up, they cant load what was previously saved (returning errors) and then they start new WU's.

The GPU client still seems to be running perfectly fine.

I just got my cpu OC'ed to 3.4ghz at a steady and safe voltage/temperature (usually under or around 60C) By putting the computer on my desk instead of below it, and placing a little fan on the desk.
    Not sure if the new OC has anything to do with these sudden problems with the SMP clients.
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    It's a File IO, not 10 - and yes, almost every error you encounter on SMP folding (if it's routine, anyway) will be a result of system instability. You may think it's stable, it may run fine for most tasks, but if Prime95 or Folding@Home report errors, the processor is returning some bad numbers, which means instability. Tweak your OC a little more or bring it back down a little bit and see if the errors go away.

Your GPU folding won't report errors until you OC the GPUs - since you haven't, they're still running at stock. They won't take any more speed or power from your CPU overclock.
    edited August 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    It's a File IO, not 10 - and yes, almost every error you encounter on SMP folding (if it's routine, anyway) will be a result of system instability. You may think it's stable, it may run fine for most tasks, but if Prime95 or Folding@Home report errors, the processor is returning some bad numbers, which means instability. Tweak your OC a little more or bring it back down a little bit and see if the errors go away.

Your GPU folding won't report errors until you OC the GPUs - since you haven't, they're still running at stock. They won't take any more speed or power from your CPU overclock.

Hmmmm,
    I lowered the cpu all the way to 2.93ghz and ran a prime95 torture test. It returned 0 errors and 0 warnings on everything. Then I started up my SMP console clients and bam FILE IO ERROR. Had to start a new WU again. :scratch:
    edited August 2009
    Try rerunning the install.bat, and if that doesn't do it, try reinstalling the core; if that doesn't do it, delete the whole folder and try again with a fresh install.
    edited August 2009
    Make sure that the two installs point to their own folders. There should be two different dir., one for each SMP client. Also, before you uninstall everything if you go into the target folder where the work folder is with the .exe cores and delete everything except the .dll files and config file that will force everything that can be downloaded to be redownloaded. Then I would do what snark suggest.

But I would guess the directory targets are mixed up if one SMP client was working earlier and when the second was added it causes the IO error.
    edited August 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    Make sure that the two installs point to their own folders. There should be two different dir., one for each SMP client. Also, before you uninstall everything if you go into the target folder where the work folder is with the .exe cores and delete everything except the .dll files and config file that will force everything that can be downloaded to be redownloaded. Then I would do what snark suggest.

But I would guess the directory targets are mixed up if one SMP client was working earlier and when the second was added it causes the IO error.

Yea this could be the case. I have not had time to do this yet, but If I only run one SMP client it works fine with no errors. Also I installed them in different directories one in "F@H" and one in "F@H2".

Ill do this and post back,
    thanks a lot.
    edited August 2009
    Ok I did what you said. Deleting all the files and stuff. IT seems to have worked. I got both SMP clients as well as the GPU client all running with no errors. :)

Now I am going to reformat my old crappy laptop and see if I can get the wireless card working, If so, im gonna set up folding on that thing too. It has an old Nvidia. (GeForce 6150) Do you think I could get a GPU client on there?
    edited August 2009
    Doubtful. It probably won't do well with SMP folding, either. Better to use the single core clients, most likely.
    edited August 2009
    For some reason my SMP clients wont connect to send finished WU status, or to get new WU's. Every attempt to get a new work packet is failing. My GPU client is still working away though. It is not my firewall or anything. It had been working fine for a while.
    Any ideas on what could be going on here?
    edited August 2009
    Sometimes the servers just choke up and don't take incoming or outgoing requests. The SMP servers and the GPU servers are different, I believe, so they don't necessarily have to be linked.

Just let it run and keep watching it. If it keeps failing in a day or two, ctrl-C out of them and restart them.
    edited August 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Sometimes the servers just choke up and don't take incoming or outgoing requests. The SMP servers and the GPU servers are different, I believe, so they don't necessarily have to be linked.

Just let it run and keep watching it. If it keeps failing in a day or two, ctrl-C out of them and restart them.

Alright thanks a lot,
    Yep, they both started back up automatically.

Do you know how well F@H is in Linux? Because I am dual booting vista and Linux. I love Linux, but I have not been booting into it much lately because I don't want to stop folding. lol
    edited August 2009
    Folding is actually faster on Linux. It was developed on a Unix core, so the Linux and Mac versions are faster than their Windows counterpart, which is a port of those versions.

Lots of stories around here exist about installing Linux VMs on Windows boxes just to get the extra points without actually running Linux. If you run it normally, it's a great way to fold.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the GPU folding - I have not heard whether there's a GPU client yet. The SMP gets mad points, though.
    edited August 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    Folding is actually faster on Linux. It was developed on a Unix core, so the Linux and Mac versions are faster than their Windows counterpart, which is a port of those versions.

Lots of stories around here exist about installing Linux VMs on Windows boxes just to get the extra points without actually running Linux. If you run it normally, it's a great way to fold.

The only thing I'm not sure about is the GPU folding - I have not heard whether there's a GPU client yet. The SMP gets mad points, though.

O man. Its too bad that there isn't a GPU client for Linux. I wonder if the SMP performance in Linux will make up for not having a GPU client? :scratch:
    edited August 2009
    No, not a chance. But like I said, you can run VMs in Windows for your SMP work and leave GPU folding on inside Windows. If you have a quad, run two Ubuntu VMs, restrict them both to two cores, and set up different SMP clients inside of them.

It's not ideal, perhaps, but if you have an old box that doesn't have a schweet CUDA-based video card in it and you're running Linux, you can get great production out of it.
  • mas0nmas0n howdy Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    GPU folding is possible under Linux, but you have to jump through hoops. Dig around on the Folding Forums and you'll find some very good threads on it. Essentially you run the whole deal via Wine and the Windows drivers with very little overhead.
    edited August 2009
    ^ Oh YEAH! I forgot about that trick. Good info, Mason.
    edited August 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    ^ Oh YEAH! I forgot about that trick. Good info, Mason.

O yesss, wine. I am gonna have to try that.
    edited August 2009
    Well,
    I set up two SMP clients under Linux, and they seemed to be running faster than they do in Windows.
    Then I went and found instructions on how to set up the GPU client under WINE with CUDA and stuff. I got like 3 steps in and was lost. I am not the best at Linux yet... that is why I am going to be taking some classes on it soon.

I already have the drivers for my NVIDIA card installed.
    I also already have WINE on there. (I was using it for a couple other programs)
    But I couldn't get the whole CUDA thing and the CUDA wrapper going. :sad2: