Need suggestions

ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
edited August 2009 in Spyware & Virus Removal
Hey there,

I'm in dire need of some suggestions for removal tools - the less thinking I have to do the better.

Thoughts?

Comments

• edited August 2009
    We need more information to provide the best advice, please can you explain in a bit more detail.

Are you having problems ?

What do you have installed at the moment ?
  • ZenModeZenMode Royal Oak, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Katana wrote:
    We need more information to provide the best advice, please can you explain in a bit more detail.

Are you having problems ?

What do you have installed at the moment ?

To be honest, I'm taking a look at a few PCs from various family members - and I'm shirking my obligatory google/regedit removal method for a seemingly unknown amount of viral activity.

That particular PC is carrying several strains, one(or all) of which seem to have destroyed networking capabilities on the unit - even after winsockfix and driver restoration for the correct hardware. I can't effectively back up the unit and reformat it or I would, which makes me not even want to look at it. This thing is like a hydra in action, destroy one virus and two more seem to apparate. I had to remove their existing McAffe (unknown software ver.) to allow me to make any changes to the machine without it completely locking up.

The other carries some blaster worm variant, and will hopefully no longer be a problem once I update it to SP2.

I guess I was hoping some mystical tool existed, perhaps a compilation of local scanning/removal software that would run a train on the machine in question - and save me some headache in the process.
  • edited August 2009
    There is an infection going around that is killing connection for some reason.
    The best method we have found at the moment for restoring it is to open device manager and uninstall the network adapter then reboot and let the machine reinstall it.
    ( if it is a custom build PC you may need the driver disc for this)

A very good "Auto" scanner is MalwareBytes AntiMalware, but even that can't catch everything.

Reccomendations
    • Run an Antivirus ( if there isn't one on the machine, Avast is a good free one )
    • Run MalwareBytes

If the machine/s still show problems, you would need to post logs so I can see what is present.