I am trying to contact Tex directly or someone who can help

edited August 2009 in Science & Tech
Hi - 14 year old boy desperately trying to help my mom fix a rebooting loop problem (xp keeps automatically trying to reboot but with no success) - I got to part where I figured out how to change bios to boot from a cd, but then we get stuck since my mom (and myself) are terrified we might install a completely new system and delete all her files/pics, etc. We read hours of texts all day long and after a zillion sites and hours of calls to Gateway (no help at all since mom's warranty expired), we found that "Tex" on this site seemed to help someone else with a similar problem or at least maybe he can offer help on how we can try to simply reboot from a disc. My mom said she is willing to call long distance if someone can help, but she has a brand new computer sitting in a box and doesn't wish to spend a lot of money on fixing old one - she would just like it to work enough that she could easily transfer files and pics to new computer and so that it will reboot properly. If Tex is reading, can you PLEASE help me and my mom? If not, is there anyone who is willing to speak to either my mom or me on the phone to help us step by step -- just reading people's steps online isn't helping because we aren't sure exactly which xp disc to use, and when we tried an ME installation disc, it asked questions that didn't match the exact steps we read online. Thanks. Please answer as soon as possible. My name is David.

Comments

• edited August 2009
    comment re: post - my mom logged on this account with me in case I had to be over 18
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    You can't use a Windows ME disk to fix a problem on windows XP, totally incompatible.

Your best bet sounds like doing a repair install. To do that you need a Windows XP cd. If you just have the repair CD's that came with your computer they will wipe out everything on it and reinstall it to it's factory state. You don't want to do that.

If you have a windows XP cd you can boot up the computer with the disk in the drive and start going through the prompts. The first screen will ask you if you want to try and repair the computer by going into the repair console. You don't want to do that. Go into the install screen and if all goes well it will detect that you have windows already installed and ask if you wish to repair it. That is the option you want.

If you don't get that option and it just asks where you want to install windows, don't continue.
  • edited August 2009
    Does anyone have a real solution for this loop problrm in XP. I can't boot up with the xp CD. I can get to the screen that gives you choices to reboot and go to safe mode, etc. and its round and round. Thanks if you have the answer. Could everything be wiped out? I have no idea what happened. Had the program since 2005 and never happened before.
  • kryystkryyst Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    To boot up with the CD you have to go into your bios change your startup priorities so that the CD is first. Then when you restart your computer you'll be greeted with a prompt that says 'Press Any Key to Boot From CD'.

Just because you don't like an answer doesn't mean it's wrong. The fact that you've had it for 4 years and nothing's ever happened before, pretty much means your do.
  • edited August 2009
    OH ... ok, using the wrong disk, thaks - BUT can you (or anyone) please clarify which disk - I mean, what disk are you referring to when you say "Windows xp cd to do a repair" -- I have a windows xp home edition upgrade disc and three system restoration disks (but I don't want to lose all my documents! - are these desks used when someone wants a clean system and erase everything?) -- and I have a windows xp home editin disc that says the setup instructions are to click start, then run, etc -
    BUT I can't get into my "start" area if I can't reboot! mmm...:( I need more help, pls! I also just found some odd purple discs from Gateway (my computer brand) that says "companion cds - 2 discs for reinstalling drivers and programs -- so again, should I should the xp home edition upgrade disc or one of the others? And then can someone give me step by step directions to try to reboot? Do I try to reboot in safe mode - or will I not even be able to do that when rebooting with a disc? Sorry for so many questions!

kryyst wrote:
    You can't use a Windows ME disk to fix a problem on windows XP, totally incompatible.

Your best bet sounds like doing a repair install. To do that you need a Windows XP cd. If you just have the repair CD's that came with your computer they will wipe out everything on it and reinstall it to it's factory state. You don't want to do that.

If you have a windows XP cd you can boot up the computer with the disk in the drive and start going through the prompts. The first screen will ask you if you want to try and repair the computer by going into the repair console. You don't want to do that. Go into the install screen and if all goes well it will detect that you have windows already installed and ask if you wish to repair it. That is the option you want.

If you don't get that option and it just asks where you want to install windows, don't continue.
  • mtroxmtrox Minnesota
    edited August 2009
    Karatemagic, there are two types of installs.

Full install - you wipe the hard drive and loose everything
    Repair install - it leaves the disk formatting in place and fixes what's wrong

So kryst is telling you to do a repair because, by definition, that leaves everything in place.........99% of the time. The CD you need is the one for the exact same operating system you have. If you have XP Home, you need an install disk for XP Home to do a repair install.

If all I wanted to do was pull Mom's files off the drive, I'd spend $25 on this device. You take out the old drive, plug it into this, then plug it all into the USB on the new computer. After you wait for it all to install (it installs automatically like a flash drive), then you can find all the files on the hard drive. It's must less risky than a repair install, and will take less time.
  • TexTex Dallas/Ft. Worth
    edited August 2009
    You should be able to boot off the XP upgrade disk. You dont have to usually click start run etc... PM me here if you need help. I work today but can maybe even call ya tonight and try and walk ya through this mess if they dont get you fixed today before I get back.

Tex
  • edited August 2009
    Hi Tex, hey, you're here!!:) Ok, bottom line is - my mom has two disks which seems like either may work? But not sure which to try first - she has the "Upgrade Windows xp home edition" disc (though she should already HAVE XP on the computer .. we just can't get in, as you know) OR we can use the disc that says "Windows xp home edition" BUT Neither disc specifically says the word "install disk" -- so when everyone keeps telling me to use the "install disk" is that one of my two? Or a disk that must say the words "install disk"? Sorry if this should be common sense - I just don't have one that says install, and thus, don't know if it exists.

Tex, I would like to try to fix tonight, but I won't be home till after 9:30 Eastern time, but if I try and get into trouble, HOW do I PM you? I mean, I clicked on your name but didn't see an email popup or anything. Please let me know. Thanks, we appreciate your help (and everyone else's too!)

Tex wrote:
    You should be able to boot off the XP upgrade disk. You dont have to usually click start run etc... PM me here if you need help. I work today but can maybe even call ya tonight and try and walk ya through this mess if they dont get you fixed today before I get back.

Tex
  • edited August 2009
    thanks - I now "get" the two types of installs (not sure I know how to DO either, but I totally get what you're saying, thanks) - please read my note to Tex asking about which disk...

Also, if a device could do what you say for just 25 bucks, my mom said she'd be thrilled - but question - since we only have basic technological knowledge, will she have to hire someone for a lot of money to help her USE the device or if she buys, can someone like yourself help - like, give us step by step instructions how to use?, and most importantly, do you know if this device can be used on our computer without the ability to "reboot it" correctly, in the state it's in with this dumb reboot loop? Also, it can only be used on a harddrive that is still "working though" right? not an old one that may have crashed? (just wondered, as we have one or two of those too!! :( Thanks for the help
    mtrox wrote:

So kryst is telling you to do a repair because, by definition, that leaves everything in place.........99% of the time. The CD you need is the one for the exact same operating system you have. If you have XP Home, you need an install disk for XP Home to do a repair install.

If all I wanted to do was pull Mom's files off the drive, I'd spend $25 on this device. You take out the old drive, plug it into this, then plug it all into the USB on the new computer. After you wait for it all to install (it installs automatically like a flash drive), then you can find all the files on the hard drive. It's must less risky than a repair install, and will take less time.
  • edited August 2009
    My mom just read reviews on device you recommended, and a bunch of people said it "fried their hard drive" - this sounds REALLY bad, even though it didn't happen to everyone .. is there something else or another brand you can recommend, even if it costs a bit more? We don't want to make any more problems or ruin the brand new drive ..

mtrox wrote:

• ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    It is highly doubtful that it "fried" their hard drives unless they used it wrong. Provided that you make sure the hard drive is sitting on a solid, non-conductive surface, it doesn't get jostled around, that the cables are firmly attached and that you don't do anything silly like pulling out the plugs while the drive is still mounted the likelihood of a device such as that frying your hard drive is near zero. It's highly likely that the people who say this fried their drive moved the drive while it was being accessed causing physical damage to the platters as they were spinning. That said, if you really want a different device, there are plenty. They are all more or less the same thing though.
    edited August 2009
    OK I got your PM. Yes I will help you or your momma. You have my home email and cell phone. Just let me know which way you want to go to proceed.

I offered to recover the data for you for free and send you a DVD/CD if your going to get a new computer as an option if you dont feel comfortable hooking the old drive to the new computer since it looks like your leaning towards getting a new computer.

I bet some of the old timers here remember me and will vouch for my tech abilities regarding recovering data from the current drive for ya.

Just let me know how I can help.

Tex
  • GargGarg Purveyor of Lincoln Nightmares Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Tex wrote:
    I bet some of the old timers here remember me and will vouch for my tech abilities regarding recovering data from the current drive for ya.

Tex

I'll vouch for him, and there are longer-timers that would, too.

Good to see you again, Tex! :thumbsup:
  • ShortyShorty Manchester, UK Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Tex wrote:
    OK I got your PM. Yes I will help you or your momma. You have my home email and cell phone. Just let me know which way you want to go to proceed.

I offered to recover the data for you for free and send you a DVD/CD if your going to get a new computer as an option if you dont feel comfortable hooking the old drive to the new computer since it looks like your leaning towards getting a new computer.

Tex

He can do that while surfing ebay, polishing his snakeskin boots, cooking some awesome ribs, rewriting Oracle queries and generally getting a tan :cool:
  • McBainMcBain San Clemente, CA New
    edited August 2009
    Solid offer from a well respected man. Take it kid.
    edited August 2009
    Karate said he was going out of town for a week but I could help his momma. I guess I scared her off? (wink) Gee wasnt the first time... LOL

Tex