Show off your PPD!

lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
edited July 2011 in Folding@Home
/selfplug.

foldingppd.jpg

I'm debating putting a third system together. I believe all I need is a motherboard, CPU, and case. Probably would be a phenom II x4 since they're cheap...

Comments

• _k_k P-Town, Texas Icrontian
    edited August 2009
  • makoa26makoa26 Las Vegas
    edited August 2009
    I'm working on it.Capture009.jpg
  • fatcatfatcat Mizzou Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    folding.png
  • LeonardoLeonardo Wake up and smell the glaciers Eagle River, Alaska Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I know I have been very active in the forums or in the Folding areas here this summer. When not at work, I've been touring, hiking, fishing, and keeping the yard carved out of the wilderness. But the computers have been kept clean and running full time.

You asked for it:
  • lordbeanlordbean Ontario, Canada
    edited August 2009
    Damn, that's a lot of 9800 GX2s. Question though, if I may... how come systems two and three are only running a single GX2?
    edited August 2009
    Leo that doesn't count, you posted a 4632 yesterday.
    edited August 2009
    Damn, that's a lot of 9800 GX2s. Question though, if I may... how come systems two and three are only running a single GX2?
    a) the motherboards in those systems only have one each PCI-e slot, 2) I have to draw the line somewhere. Over the long term, power consumption costs me more than parts.
    Leo that doesn't count, you posted a 4632 yesterday.
    My wife and I were out in the boonies (about 75 miles from any town) most of the weekend. I turn the computers off if the house is unoccupied for more than 24 hours.
    edited August 2009
    I know whats going on when you throw low numbers. It still doesn't count, this is current.
  • test_tube_tonytest_tube_tony Dallas TX Member
    edited August 2009
    heres what im getting just on my new computer. 6195.2. not bad compared to my old computer which only did around 800 ppd. cant seem to keep the smp client working in windows 7 but oh well. :fold:
    edited August 2009
    I may be able to add close to another 10,000 PPD soon. If my soon-to-be-constructed Phenom II build achieves a decent overclock, I'll have 3 (possibly 4) more fast CPU cores and two more graphics cores to fold on.
    edited September 2009
    I finally have everything back on one Fahmon. Its a q9450 at 3.55, two OC'd 88GT, 2 GX2s(one is running OC), Phenom 9600, and a 5050e is running the single core client. When it cools off some here in Texas the second GX2 will be running the same OC. Sadly there is about another 1k I could be getting off another intel quad but I haven't bothered to set it back up, maybe tomorrow.
    ppd2.JPG
    edited September 2009
    My new place doesn't seem to be very well ventilated. I'm having trouble keeping the clients running constantly, the ambient temperature gets too high.

Once I find a workable solution I'll have them running full time again.
    edited September 2009
    Problem solved. I'm so used to having my computers in my room, it completely slipped my mind that they aren't in my room anymore. If I keep the door to my room closed, my living room heats up, but my room doesn't, so I won't be trying to sleep at uncomfortably warm temperatures.

Folding running 24/7 again ^.^
  • ardichokeardichoke Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    How do you guys get all your clients reporting to one FAHMon? Just share out the directories?
    edited September 2009
    Yes, exactly, just designate the Folding folders - GPU or CPU, as shared. Then simply point FAHMon to that Folder over your network.
  • RWBRWB Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    What should I be expecting from my setup? I just want to be sure I am doing this right. It almost seems like Leo has multiple clients running per system like 2 for the CPU and 2 more for the GPU?

Also I have a 2.8GHz Phenom II X4 920 and my GPU is an X800 which I don't think is likely worth running if it could. Of course I don't have much going just yet but starting tonight I'll keep this system running 24x7 plus my laptops.
    edited September 2009
    Leo runs two SMP cores per CPU because windows does not handle multi-threaded applications very well, and does not get the full use out of 4 cores when only given 4 threads. PPD tends to be a bit higher with a second client running.

As for his graphics configuration, a 9800 GX2 is similar to the current GTX 295. It has two physical GPUs onboard, and for this reason is capable of running two GPU cores per card. He may have as many as 4 graphics clients in a single system, when said system is running 2 9800GX2s.
    edited October 2009
    Well, said lordbean, and accurate. I recently purchased another 9800GX2. BTW, they are about the same price on the pre-owned market as they were a year ago. It's rare when you see used tech keep its value like that. I really believe we Folding@Home crazies are keeping demand high. They aren't easy to find. Well anyway, the day before the GX2 arrived, one of my other GX2s lost one of its cores, so my net Folding gain after getting the new card was only one GPU. But...I've got yet another GX2 in shipping. It should arrive before the weekend. Net gain of two more GPUs. (I've got to install them without the wife knowing. Our power bill is not insignificant.)
    edited October 2009
    Leo, I think you have a problem. We are your friends and here to help you. You just have to let us.
    edited October 2009
    Sorry, I couldn't find the reaching out for help smiley.
    edited October 2009
    _k_ wrote:
    Leo, I think you have a problem. We are your friends and here to help you. You just have to let us.

Says _k, the guy who won't even consider purchasing an AMD graphics card because it wouldn't give him as much PPD as an nvidia.
    edited October 2009
    My non-mains have GX2s because of cost, energy, and production. Plus I can buy cheap boards and have SLi if I ever hook up a monitor to them. My main had a 88GT since they were released, give a week or two. So I bought another to match to run SLi whenever I wanted and folding was just an extra. Gosh Bean get your facts straight.....I really want a 5870 since I only get 80-110 FPS in TF2.
    edited October 2009
    won't even consider purchasing an AMD graphics card because it wouldn't give him as much PPD as an nvidia
    Same here! I'm not a gamer. If I'm going to spend my money on extra power consumption, I want to maximize what I get out of it. ATI in the future, sure, if the Pande Group and ATI's drivers team can bring ATI GPU Folding up to Nvidia's level. I don't give a crap about logos or brands, it's a matter of performance.
    edited October 2009
    ppd.png
    ppd.png 151.7K
    edited February 2010
    Untitled-1.png

Untitled.jpg

Between networking issues and weird problems since swapping a 88GT that had to have a RMA,came back a "9800GT" with a zalman cooler, I have post it like this.

31291ppd from what I have shown and the one client that isn't showing up just figure in another 3-4k. So I figure from day to day I should be able to keep about a 30kppd. That is without folding on one GX2 sitting in my main.
    edited December 2010
    necro time
    Work can be a productive place.
    work ppd.png
  • TushonTushon I'm scared, Coach Alexandria, VA Icrontian
    edited December 2010
    @40-42k PPD now that I have my additional 450 installed. This is more of a max than actual, as I have to turn off GPU /CPU for some games, and others obviously slow it down.
    ppd.png 80.2K
    edited July 2011
    This can go a few 1,000 higher if one of these would should up all the time plus there are misc. Plus the 18k I am running at home, stuff is turned off because of summer.

largeppd.png

This might look impressive but not all of this gear is 24/7.