edited October 2011 in Science & Tech
ยซ134

Comments

• edited April 2009
    Awesome,
    Nice tutorial
    Im gonna give this a go.
    Thank you
  • BlackHawkBlackHawk Bible music connoisseur There's no place like 127.0.0.1 Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    Thanks. Gonna try it out on all the machines in the house once RC1 rolls out.
  • edited April 2009
    how big a drive is required?
  • ThraxThrax ๐ŸŒ Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    4GB or better.
  • edited April 2009
    My Command Line always starts with C:\Documents and Settings\Name>

How do I clear it and make commands with other drives?
  • BuddyJBuddyJ Dept. of Propaganda OKC Icrontian
    edited April 2009
    cd C:\

"cd" is the command for change directory. It's what you need to switch to whatever location you're looking for.
  • edited April 2009
    thank you for comprehensive tutorial . Do I still have my xp after installing in this way?
    edited April 2009
    You will have XP if you tell Windows 7 to create a partition out of free space. If you choose to reformat, you will not have XP.
  • edited April 2009
    It's much easier to do it with UltraISO.
    You load the install DVD or an iso of the install DVD you may have downloaded into UltraISO. Then simply use the 'Bootable' menu option to 'Write Disk image...' and having set which drive your USB Key is, press 'Write'.
    You can also check the box to 'Verify' your write.
    You are effectively doing what you do when you burn an ISO to a DVD but in this case it's a one step operation to 'burn' a bootable USB key without having to format it, use the HP or MBR tool or Diskpart etc. You can overwrite a used key or do this on any new key.
    And you can do it in XP, Vista or Win 7.
  • primesuspectprimesuspect Beepin n' Boopin Detroit, MI Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Ultra ISO also costs money.

This method is free. So why would you pay $30 for something you can do for free with the above tools?
  • Rob
    edited May 2009
    You can do it on the Ultra ISO trial, so your point is moot.
    edited May 2009
    And when you want to do it again in the future? Right, you'd have to reformat to circumvent the trial limitations.
  • jokerz4funjokerz4fun Michigan Icrontian
    edited May 2009
    Thrax great post! I might give this one a try.
  • Tb
    edited June 2009
    Hi there - I hardly ever leave posts anywhere, but I just wanted to say *thank you so much* for your easy to follow guide on making a bootable usb using xp. I searched for hours to find a method that wasn't totally incomprehensible due to the use of jargon that I don't understand. Thanks again, I really appreciate it.
  • edited July 2009
    when I issue the command g:\boot\bootsect /nt60 e:

I get

Target volumes will be updated with BOOTMGR compatible bootcode.

Drive e: maps to volume \\?\Volume{910a560e-4b52-11de-b1ba-0016418aa708}.

This volume does not appear to connect to any disk partitions. Volume bootcode

is always unused in the absence of associated partitions.

any help would be great
  • edited August 2009
    Will doing this wipe my hard drive?
    edited August 2009
    Creating the USB stick will not wipe your hard drive. Installing Windows 7 will wipe your hard drive.
  • ss
    edited August 2009
    hi..
    when i try to do MBRwiz /disk=2 /active=1 (in my case it is 2) it gives an error "invalid partition selected".
    please tell me what to do?
  • edited August 2009
    I Have a 32bit version of XP but my Windoes 7 is a 64bit. and it says caveat isent a command
  • edited August 2009
    I did everything u said but when I try to boot from the flash drive I get "BOOTMGR IS MISSING". What should I do?
  • edited August 2009
    tried it again now it says DISK ERROR
  • edited August 2009
    It is necessary to Format Flash with NTFS.
    I heard this makes the drive slow.
    Will formatting to Fat32 work?
  • SnarkasmSnarkasm Madison, WI Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    NTFS doesn't make the drive slow. It's a different filesystem, that's all, and it lets you put files larger than 4GB on the drive.
  • edited August 2009
    WOW, I've tried 5 different tutorials and this is the only one that actually worked for me, thank you very much.
    edited August 2009
    You're very welcome, Yotam! :D I ran into the same issues when the beta was released, and I decided that I'd had enough, so I wrote one that I knew would work because I used it!
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Snarkasm wrote:
    NTFS doesn't make the drive slow. It's a different filesystem, that's all, and it lets you put files larger than 4GB on the drive.
    It will slow down a flash drive Snark. Most flash drives, due to the nature of the Nand, will find FAT32 the fastest/speediest. Now, if you can get it formatted NTFS with 32K blocks.. that should be close to the same speed.
    edited August 2009
    Can you quantify the degree of slowdown, if you don't mind? Is it actually worth mentioning at all?
  • RyderRyder Kalamazoo, Mi Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Usually 3 - 5 MB/s on most chipsets (real data transfer).
  • shwaipshwaip bluffin' with my muffin Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    http://www.testfreaks.com/blog/information/usb-flash-drive-comparison-part-2-fat32-vs-ntfs-vs-exfat/

ntfs loses big in sisoft, but it's only barely slower in other tests.
    edited August 2009
    Gotcha. Thanks folks.