UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA:Redwood City, CA Icrontian
edited September 2009 in Gaming

Comments

• ThraxThrax 🐌 Austin, TX Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Well-played, EA. For once.
  • pigflipperpigflipper The Forgotten Coast Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Crap, now I need to dig through boxes for my CD key.
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Oh, SNAP... time to blow off the cob webs and dust off the joystick and get back to some BF2!!!!
  • MyrmidonMyrmidon Baron von Puttenham California Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Cannonfodder, Doc, and myself all went back to it a couple weekends ago. All the games we played managed to degenerate into a pilots-only match. Hopefully this patch will cause enough influx of new blood that I'll actually see people ON THE GROUND - cause infantry is where it's at.
  • Cliff_ForsterCliff_Forster Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    That was going to be my question, is there still a community? If so, perhaps I'd buy a copy and get into it (I skipped this one prior), if not, what's the point?
  • QCHQCH Ancient Guru Chicago Area - USA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    If the maps have been populated with enough people and there is a good commander, the pilots should be good enough to help out ground troops AND keep an eye on other air units. When we had BF2 as a tournament several years ago, we had some good 10 on 10 battles... I remember flying a chopper with Magic as my gunner... all the troops on the ground, enemy chopper flying by... chaos and gore!!!
  • MAGICMAGIC Doot Doot Furniture City, Michigan Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    Yeah, awesome. A month after i bought the bundle to replace my lost copy.
  • TiberiusLazarusTiberiusLazarus Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    I could actually see myself playing this...
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    MAGIC wrote:
    Yeah, awesome. A month after i bought the bundle to replace my lost copy.

It was bound to happen to one of us...

I'm impressed, EA has actually done something good. We shouldn't get used to it.

Probably reinstalling this game tonight when I get off work. Patch it up and such. I do miss it.
  • edited August 2009
    oh finally, i bought 3 copies of the booster packs but because i made my mates accounts off my email address we couldnt use them (EA stupidity) i hope this doesnt include the same stupid registration process :S
  • SpampySpampy Madison, WI
    edited August 2009
    I have the original pack with the first expansion, and always wanted these but didn't want to buy them, so this is just boss.
  • edited August 2009
    I've been playing BF2 since it came out back in '05. The BF2 gaming population is still very much alive and there are a wide selection of populated servers to choose from. See you on the battlefield. :)
  • edited August 2009
    BF2 could of been the FPS of the decade, but was ruined by greed and shortsightedness. EA sided with ranks and stat tracking which A: Allowed them to charge server providers 2x the money. B: Forced idiots to play for the wrong reasons, statwh0ring and going solo. 3: Discourage mods, which, of course, makes them no money. Then they're tired of the bland, meaningless game, they'll BUY a booster pack.

The lack of custom map support, the rigidness and difficulty of moding, the lack of sensitivity to the popular demand of the commmunity (squad hopping was taken out despite 70%+ of the community being in favor of it staying in) ruined this game. I still have over 200 hours played, but this is due to looking past its huge, glaring issues. If BF2 had been made with the same loose, flexible love that was applied to, say, a Unreal Tournament 1999, it would have been the game of the decade.
  • edited August 2009
    Wow, this comment system is atrocious.
  • LincLinc Owner Detroit Icrontian
    edited August 2009
    EAsucks wrote:
    Wow, this comment system is atrocious.
    How so?
  • edited August 2009
    Ah, it just threw my additional comment back in my face twice, probably by going over an (unadvertised) word limit. Not that my rant was necessary to anyone who has been playing the game for awhile and has two IQ points to rub together.

In short, I see BF2, and to a lesser extent 1942 and Vietnam, as bundles of huge potential fallen far short. The lack of custom map support (like is present in every online game post-Clinton administration), the lack of alternate game types/randomizing of flags/rebalancing of weapons/vehicles/characters to extend replay, and then the nail in the coffin, rankings; all managed to keep the games down. Now we have the new wave of FPS', mostly console-based which then as an afterthought come to PC, which are getting smaller while concentrating less of team cooperation.
  • edited September 2009
    "The lack of custom map support (like is present in every online game post-Clinton administration), the lack of alternate game types/randomizing of flags/rebalancing of weapons/vehicles/characters to extend replay, and then the nail in the coffin, rankings"

Try Project Reality mod for BF2 .. once i played it i never went back to vanilla. Servers are full and yes there are communities. New release will be coming out soon after EA 1.5 patch.
  • edited September 2009
    The Deadly Osprey Community, doteam.net, is extremely excited about the 1.5 patch. This is why we have set up a page dedicated to its arrival and to give direct access to the patch file. We will be hosting the patch off of 2 dedicated servers, one in Toronto, Canada and one in Las Vegas, Nevada.

We do not as of yet have the files, but when available, we will be mirroring them on these two servers and will have the link posted here: http://doteam.net/patch, when available. Keep refreshing our page and as soon as the download link is BRIGHT GREEN! COMMENCE DOWNLOAD!

I have personally tested the 1.5 Beta, you all will enjoy this patch.

Thanks,
    Brett
    Chief Founding Member
    Deadly Osprey Community
    doteam.net
  • edited September 2009
    Been playing this ever since 2005 and it still ROCKS !!!
    Most played game here still on our SA servers.
  • UPSLynxUPSLynx :KAPPA: Redwood City, CA Icrontian
    edited September 2009
    How does one get their hands on the beta patch? Was that an open process, or was it a selection?